No announcement yet.

How many Top South Paws has Mayweather fought

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Judah was a top 10 WW, Corley was a top 10 JWW.

Mitchell was no where near the top 10 WW's in 2005 so I won't mention him. He wasn't even top 15.

Zab is not consistent for starters. You can put whatever stat you want but Zab struggles against good WW.

Zab lost to Baldomir. That should say it all but he also lost to Floyd, Spinks, Clottey and Cotto. I can also see him losing to Manny, Margarito, Williams .... at WW.

So that top 10 WW is not saying much, if anything!

Comment

u guys make it seem like southpaws are pouring outta the woodworks. they are a relatively rare thing, u kno. with that said the only ones he had a chance to fight in his prime and didnt are casamayor and naseem. both of which had no interest in fighting him.

there was stevie johnston too. i dunno why that fight never happened tho. all of those would have been great.

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
        - Sharmba wasn't at his optimal at 147 either.
        - Zab too was never at his optimal at WW. That's one of the reasons why he went back down to 140.

Southpaws: Manny, Martinez and Williams. Much better opposition than Corley, Sharmba and Zab (at WW)
        Where were these fighters in 2005-2006?

At the time that Mayweather fought Oscar at 154, Martinez wasn't even a top 10 JMW. I'm serious. In 07, after the Mayweather-DLH fight, the best were Dzinzuruk, Spinks, Joel Julio, Baldomir, Alcine, etc. very weak division at the time, because Mayweather, DLH, and Mosley had all gone back down to 147. Martinez was still seen as untested and his loss to Margarito was still holding him down, he was still outside of the top 10.

Pacquiao in 06-07, give me a break, he was in 126-130 at that time. So how could have Mayweather fought him over Judah or Corley? That would have been cherry picking.

In 2006 Paul Williams was not better than Judah. I'll give you 2007, Paul Williams was a top 5 WW in 07 but let's not forget Mayweather had his two biggest paydays against Oscar at 154 and Hatton at 147, no way any one would be stupid enough to turn those two down. Probably only Winky Wright.

Comment

"gatti is beating up a guy who is 37-0 with 28 knockouts!" oh lampley.

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
            Zab is not consistent for starters. You can put whatever stat you want but Zab struggles against good WW.

Zab lost to Baldomir. That should say it all but he also lost to Floyd, Spinks, Clottey and Cotto. I can also see him losing to Manny, Margarito, Williams .... at WW.

So that top 10 WW is not saying much, if anything!
            Before fighting Judah, Baldomir had previously beaten his 18 straight opponents. Including top 10 WW Arturo Gatti. Entering the Mayweather fight, Baldomir had at least 2 wins against top WW, one against the champion Judah, who won it from the champion Corey Spinks, and like I said he beat Gatti who was a top 10 WW.

Comment

Before fighting Judah, Baldomir had previously beaten his 18 straight opponents. Including top 10 WW Arturo Gatti. Entering the Mayweather fight, Baldomir had at least 2 wins against top WW, one against the champion Judah, who won it from the champion Corey Spinks, and like I said he beat Gatti who was a top 10 WW.
              Don't forget the Clottey DQ win.

Not pretty. But it counts.

Comment

Originally posted by welcometosaigon View Post
                A better question would be which top southpaws DIDN'T he fight? Are there any "elite" southpaws, other than pacman, that he may have avoided? I honestly don't know.
                if he didn't fight any southpaws because there aren't any, then how can we say for sure floyd is ready for an elite southpaw like pacquiao that he's never seen?

by your logic of course

Comment

Where were these fighters in 2005-2006?

At the time that Mayweather fought Oscar at 154, Martinez wasn't even a top 10 JMW. I'm serious. In 07, after the Mayweather-DLH fight, the best were Dzinzuruk, Spinks, Joel Julio, Baldomir, Alcine, etc. very weak division at the time, because Mayweather, DLH, and Mosley had all gone back down to 147. Martinez was still seen as untested and his loss to Margarito was still holding him down, he was still outside of the top 10.

Pacquiao in 06-07, give me a break, he was in 126-130 at that time. So how could have Mayweather fought him over Judah or Corley? That would have been cherry picking.

In 2006 Paul Williams was not better than Judah. I'll give you 2007, Paul Williams was a top 5 WW in 07 but let's not forget Mayweather had his two biggest paydays against Oscar at 154 and Hatton at 147, no way any one would be stupid enough to turn those two down. Probably only Winky Wright.

Zab, Corley and Sharmba vs Manny, Martinez and Williams WAS NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN with a time reference. The discussion was not about that time frame. It was about Lefties.

I never indicated he should have fought these guys INSTEAD of those guys. I just wished that in some point in his career, he would have faced THOSE LEFTIES (Manny, Williams and Martinez) .....

but he hasn't yet ... but time will tell!

That said, my Zab comment still holds true.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacdbest View Post
                    Add Journeyman Reggie Sanders who I thought beat Floyd in his 2nd Prof fight. The fans boooed that decision.
                    lol...did u see that fight?? mayweather may have had a difficult time but he clearly won. u arguing otherwise makes me question ur motives. either that or u just dont have any idea how to score a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                      Prime Mitchell vs Prime Judah at 140.

Who you got?
                      I got prime Judah.

Prime Judah got a good win over undefeated Junior Witter, he also beat a Demarcus Corley who was 28-1 before Mayweather and Cotto beat Corley, and of course that was a prime Corley that Judah fought. A win over Mickey Ward is a good name to have at 140 as well.

Mitchell got Tackie, N'Dou, and Phillips.

Judah has the superior names, and also anything Mitchell could have done, Judah could do better, even now.

Comment

Working...
                      X