No announcement yet.

Urijah Faber: BJ Penn Has 90 Percent Chance of Beating Kimbo Slice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
    Precisely, Kimbo's a street fighter with very, very limited knowledge of grappling. I mean if you look at the early UFCs and early MMA in general then Kimbo is now what Paul Varelans was back then. And Paul Varelans was beaten down by guys that were over a foot smaller than him and that he outwayed by a mile and that weren't as skilled a fighter as BJ Penn was or is this present day. So realistically I would say that BJ has more chance of winning this fight and Kimbo. 10 seconds on the ground with Penn and BJ would have him calling for his mama because he got his arm broken.
    Originally posted by PHX_NINJA View Post
    I remember a young Royce Gracie beating guys with 100 lb advantages.
    It doesn't matter how big you are, if a 150-170 lb man has his full weight wrapped around your arm, it's over.
    Again, Kimbo's knowledge if MMA is light years ahead of anyone like Varlans. He is learning from Ruten and has the advantage of 20 years of MMA knowledge and advancments.

Pound for pound BJ Penn is 10X the fighter Kimbo is but Kimbo would be almost 100lbs heavier and much, much stronger than Penn. I think if Penn got Kimbo in a knee bar or arm bar or Kimora, he wouldn't have the strength to finish the move against a man the size and power of Kimbo.

Again, compairing Kimbo to those street fighters of the early days of the UFC isn't feasible, because Kimbo is much better trained to defend and expect those types of things now under the training he is receiving.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
      No way those guys back in the day were better than Kimbo. I will give you an example. There was royce, Shamrock, Dan Sevrensen (sp?), Taktarov (the Russian dude) and maybe 2 other guys that were actually schooled in the basics of what we know as MMA today.

Now Im talking real early on but even guys like Tank Abott didn't know what they were doing on the ground and was just a big time puncher.
      No one was schooled in MMA back then. It was style-vs-style. The grapplers had no striking and the strikers had no grappling.

Tank Abbott was a high school and college wrestler. So he had some ground technique.

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
      .Again, compairing Kimbo to those street fighters of the early days of the UFC isn't feasible, because Kimbo is much better trained to defend and expect those types of things now under the training he is receiving.
      Lets compare Kimbo to the UFC 1 fighters and see:

Teila Tuli - Champion of the Juryo Division of the Japanese Sumo Federation
      Pat Smith - HW Champion of the Sabaki Challenge and ranked 7th by the World Kickboxing Commission
      Ken Shamrock - current King of Pancrase
      Gerard Gordeau - Dutch Karate Champion 1978-1985, Savate World Championships top European honors 1988-1991
      Kevin Rosier - Former Super-Heavyweight Kickboxing World Champion
      Zane Frasier - Instructor under Frank Dux, 4th Degree BB under Ed Parker
      Art Jimmerson - 29-5 Pro Boxing record. 10th ranked cruiserweight by WBC.
      Royce Gracie - Black Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

Kimbo Slice - Won a few backyard YouTube fights

If you really think that those guys were just 'street fighters', you're dead wrong.

Comment

Pound for pound BJ Penn is 10X the fighter Kimbo is but Kimbo would be almost 100lbs heavier and much, much stronger than Penn. I think if Penn got Kimbo in a knee bar or arm bar or Kimora, he wouldn't have the strength to finish the move against a man the size and power of Kimbo.
        BJJ is not about using strength, its about using leverage and position of which BJ Penn is a master of in MMA. He rolls with guys who outweigh him all the time, and have more strength and better knowledge of ground technique than Kimbo and is still able to get the better of them. There is no way Kimbo is strong enough the tear his arm out of an armbar or kimura if the positioning is correct and the technique is applied properly, fact. And even if he tried he'd end up breaking his arm.

Again, compairing Kimbo to those street fighters of the early days of the UFC isn't feasible, because Kimbo is much better trained to defend and expect those types of things now under the training he is receiving.
        UFC 1 was full of real athletes with actual backgrounds in various martial arts and were regarded as some of the top flight competitors in their fields. Kimbo has done nothing but been in a few "street fights" with some bums that someone filmed and all of a sudden he's considered a true Mixed Martial Artists. He doesn't know what is like to be in a reall MMA fight because his career is being built the same way his street fight career was built, feed him the bums to make him look good and hope that he can learn a thing or to.

Comment

I love all three of these guys, but Kid Yamamoto gives BJ Penn, Kimbo Slice and Urijah Faber the BOOM SNAP CLAP KO.

Comment

Working...
          X