Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a Prime Antonio Margarito (05-09) beat a past prime Mayweather at 37 years old?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margarito was one of the reasons why the Catchweight King retired in 2007.

Comment

Tony would have beat the brakes off him.

I think Floyd is on some super juice right now. He looks like a totally different fighter than the guy that looked like a bum against the likes of Baldomir.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
        I don't believe anyone genuinely thinks Tony would have beaten Mayweather then or now. But it would have been interesting to see how Mayweather would have dealt with an incredibly durable, supremely well-conditioned, relentless swarmer who had the will and determination that few others possessed.

Mayweather had just moved up to that weight class, was relatively small for it at that particular time and it was a pretty compelling fight around 2006-2008. Floyd potentially could have whitewashed him and pitched a shutout, or he potentially could have found himself in a difficult, competitive bout against a man who could have zero respect for his power and who was capable of setting the sort of pace that would unsettle the smaller, economical counter-puncher and favour the bigger, perhaps stronger, high-volume punching pressure fighter.

I'm not saying it would happen for certain, but Floyd wouldn't be the first outstanding talent to face adversity with regards to a fighter who's will is every bit as strong as his opponents considerable skill.
        Good post.

I wonder how Floyd would've fought him. Does he use the ring and his foot speed to rack up points or does he stand in the pocket and return fire.

Floyd has been known to chop workrates in half and I think he couldve done the same to Tony. There are only so many flush bombs a man can take even from a guy like Floyd who doesn't pack a mean punch but those punches sting. He also would've clinched Tony a lot on the inside like Shane did and I think Floyd might have been just as strong as a prime Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
          Tony would have beat the brakes off him.

I think Floyd is on some super juice right now. He looks like a totally different fighter than the guy that looked like a bum against the likes of Baldomir.
          Its called not having a year layoff in between fights. I told everyone who would listen to expect Floyd to be much sharper than he was against RG.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Burner View Post
            Good post.

I wonder how Floyd would've fought him. Does he use the ring and his foot speed to rack up points or does he stand in the pocket and return fire.

Floyd has been known to chop workrates in half and I think he couldve done the same to Tony. There are only so many flush bombs a man can take even from a guy like Floyd who doesn't pack a mean punch but those punches sting. He also would've clinched Tony a lot on the inside like Shane did and I think Floyd might have been just as strong as a prime Tony.
            A lot of moving and a lot of holding would be my guess.

Comment

Too quick then, too smart now. Margarito wouldn't win 2 rounds vs any version of WW Floyd. And we know Margarito's 154 run isn't anything spectacular so he'd embarrass him even at this stage of his career

Comment

Originally posted by Still Burner View Post
                Its called not having a year layoff in between fights. I told everyone who would listen to expect Floyd to be much sharper than he was against RG.
                He seems much stronger physically.

Comment

Still pisses me off Floyd retired when the welterweight division was hot back in 07-08.

Margarito probably would have been the toughest fight for him out of all of those guys

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    A lot of moving and a lot of holding would be my guess.
                    Yeah definitely. I could see his hands going to **** eventually after landing a lot. I think Floyd would put in a lot of work to the body too. He wouldnt have a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
                      He seems much stronger physically.
                      Ive been saying for years thats hes the strongest WW in the world not named Berto. Even against Oscar he was not phased in the clinches and ODH couldnt believe how strong he was post fight.

I always felt his strength was mad underrated. For him to be a little' guy he never gets bullied or pushed around. Hatton had the most success post Castillo-1 as far as "bullying"but even then Floyd turned the tables and started mauling him back.

Comment

Working...
                      X