Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need headgear that will protect my eyes...please help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need headgear that will protect my eyes...please help!

long story short...a few years ago, i used to spar with regular headgear and LITERALLY the very first time i ever sparred in my life, i received a scratched cornea. talk about a bad first impression

i was blind for a week (even though only one eye was affected, you have to keep both closed because it hurts too much to squint) and almost lost my eye sight permanently. after it healed i rethought about boxing, but decided that i love it too much to quit

so i went back a few weeks later and started sparring again. i sparred a few times but then guess what? it happened again... this time in my other eye, but thankfully not as worse as the first time. i was only blind for 3 days this time.

i took a long break after that time but i still spar every now and then, which is very risky. i dont know what my problem is...i asked the eye doctor and he said my the back of my eye lids are very inflamed and rough due to allergies. the result was like sandpaper rubbing across my eye every time i would be punched in the face. he gave me drops for it but im still not 100% confident to spar the normal way..

i currently spar with headgear that comes with a face cage. i dont like it though and it makes me look like im afraid to get hit or something! i want new headgear but im terrified of ever getting my cornea scratched again. i cant quit boxing because i love it too much so the solution for me is to get some kind of headgear that protects your eyes!

please help me and recommend me some good headgear...ive asked around and nobody else seems to have ever had this problem, so i guess im like 1 in a million. just my luck huh? i guess i have really sensitive eyes or something but oh well. please help!

thanks

Just wear the one with the cage, and even then you should be careful.

It's you're eyesight your talking about. You really want to risk being blind for the rest of your life just because so you don't look like a wimp who's affraid to get hit?

If you love boxing so much, try getting into coaching.

Comment

i have a similar problem my eyesight is pretty bad and im only 18 i passed my eye exam so im able to fight but i need to get my eyes tested like every year. its very upsetting cuz it makes me lose confidence in things such as driving a car :l
      i wear normal headgear but if u said u could have been blinded permanently i would use the cage... safety first

Comment

Eyesight x feeling silly.

That's an easy one... use the cage, train the sport you like so much, screw whomever thinks badly about you.

Really, there's not even a problem here. Go in peace, without needing a cane and a dog.

Comment

thats sad because i always wanted to be a pro fighter

why does this happen to me? ive never seen a fighter (pro, amateur, or just training) who has had this issue. i must literally have the worst luck in the world...this is something like 1 in a billion

for the record, they eye doctor never actually said "i could have went blind permanently"...but im just using common sense here and making my own judgement on that. i mean i couldnt see for a week...im sure if i got hit in the same spot, only harder, it would have been worse.

Comment

damn the cage head hear is ****

sorry to hear that bro

Comment

You just got dealt a bad card in the game of life.....

If you like boxing so much just suck it up and wear the cage

Comment

Originally posted by 915 View Post
                You just got dealt a bad card in the game of life.....

If you like boxing so much just suck it up and wear the cage
                but the only thing ive EVER wanted to be was a professional fighter...so its harder than that...

i cant wear a cage in a professional fight so what am i going to do?

might as well take a gun out and pull the trigger on myself if i cant do what i love most

i dont understand though. you are telling me that when you get punched directly in the eye area, you dont feel a thing? thats hard to comprehend for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gratz_the_king View Post
                  but the only thing ive EVER wanted to be was a professional fighter...so its harder than that...

i cant wear a cage in a professional fight so what am i going to do?

might as well take a gun out and pull the trigger on myself if i cant do what i love most

i dont understand though. you are telling me that when you get punched directly in the eye area, you dont feel a thing? thats hard to comprehend for me.
                  I feel it but I don't get injuries to the extent that you get them (eye). It sucks but the truth is it may be very difficult for you to pursue a career in professional fighting with the injuries you get. As awesome as boxing is I would hope that your well being is more important to you than risking your eyesight in a fight. Maybe you should become a trainer as some have suggested. At least it would get you involved in boxing and perhaps involvement in the professional ranks as well. After all a fighter is nothing without his/her trainer.

Comment

Facebar headgear.

Comment

Working...
                    X