Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather blasts Pacquiao, hints that racism makes people want to see him lose

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need to see more fights and less babbling from this dude...

Comment

Originally posted by MEAT View Post
      Floyd Mayweather Jr yesterday reassured fans that despite his year of inactivity and the constant rumors surrounding him, he hasn't retired, and that he will eventually take to the ring again.

Other topics touched on by Mayweather in the latest of his recent series of interviews with FightHype's Ben Thompson included plenty of criticism for Manny Pacquiao and former promoter Bob Arum, and even hints of racial persecution.

What he didn't say however was anything most didn't already know about him.

He dislikes Bob Arum, to put it mildly. He's still hung up on the Pacquiao fight that never happened. American fans don't support him as much as he wants. And of course, that he isn't retired he's just on vacation/spending time with his family/concentrating on other projects.

While it's interesting enough to hear him ramble on about any topic that pops into his head (and incidentally, for connoisseurs of Mayweather speaking nonsense, this particular video is vintage stuff), most fans really only want to know one thing: When he will be fighting again.

Nonito Donaire will fight his way out of Top Rank contract one way or the other

When asked what will come next in his career however the mercurial Mayweather was typically cryptic in his response:

"I'm not going to let boxing retire me. I'll retire boxing when I'm ready, but I'm not saying I'm retired, but I'm older, I'm wiser and I move when I want to move, simple as that."

Officially retired or not, Mayweather last fought over a year ago, and seemingly has no plans to change that anytime soon. If at the age of 34 he either can't find the motivation or waits too long, the possibility of retirement being effectively forced upon him is a real possibility.

From there he somehow diverged back onto the topic of Manny Pacquiao, with no prompting from the interviewer:

"Sometimes I sit back and ask fans this, if Pacquiao been a pro since '96, I didn't know who he was, when he was fighting on my undercards, I didn't know who he was. Or when he made that, what was it a 20 pound jump, from 130lb to 150lb in a certain amount of... 20 months, a couple years....... he say he done it all natural"

The main difference in the eyes of the fans being that Pacquiao has fought twice since then, and has another opponent lined up for the end of the year.

Whether Mayweather is in the right or not when he criticizes Pacquiao, as an inactive fighter he automatically has a hard time convincing anyone that he is being sincere.

Contrastingly by merely being active and largely silent, Pacquiao gives the appearance of a fighter who has moved on instead of one solely focused on discrediting an opponent he probably won't ever fight.

With Pacquiao off the table, Zab Judah eager for Amir Khan clash

Towards the end of the interview, and seemingly by then hearing a different set of questions to the ones the interviewer was asking him, Mayweather responds to a question over Bob Arum's matchmaking by saying:

"I never said lets meet at a catchweight, never not one time. Every fighter that i beat, I beat at the weight I was supposed to beat them at"

Notable exceptions to that statement being Ricky Hatton who was made to climb up in weight, and of course lightweight Juan Manuel Marquez who he fought at a catchweight of 144lbs, but then put at a further handicap by coming in two pounds over.

Finally, and by now meandering dangerously close to declaring that the world is against him or that 'the man' is keeping him down, Mayweather caps off the strange glimpse inside his head with:

"Everything boils down to this, this black arrogant American, we wanna see him lose. He shouldn't be able to live next door to me. He shouldn't be able to drive the cars I drive"

Surely the amount of people who firstly live in the same kind of neighborhoods as Mayweather, can afford the same kinds of cars and want to see him lose must be a small percentage.

Even taking the gist of what he's saying outside of the clumsy wording however, and the fact that Mayweather is one of the biggest pay per view sellers of all time seems to fly in the face of his theory. Of course the only way he could ever know for sure would be to lose, and so far he hasn't often even come close.

Jake Phillips, Pitt: "What is that he's drinking, paint thinner? He comes out with some weird stuff nothing to do with what the guy was asking him, and somehow every answer goes back to Pacquiao. He needs to let it go"

Signs of paranoid dillusioned mind, dude needs to talk to someone before he goes off the deep end and hurts himself or someone else.

Comment

People need to just leave Floyd alone. He isn't fighting Pac or anyone else so why even bother talking about him???? Who cares what he has to say, if its not about actually fighing someone????

Comment

Well, this little girl's message is still very relevant and actually tackles Floyd's racism complaints.

Comment

This is the guy, who according to *****s, loves to be the bad guy??

but cries and bring up the race card because people don't like him...

this guy is truly a B!TCH!

Comment

Nowadays, I don't even read any comments or listen to interviews by Floyd.

Unless he announces his next fight, I don't give damn what he has to say. Dude is so ignorant and full of shit. He contradicts himself on a regular basis and rarely gives clear answers.

I just can't take anything Floyd says seriously. It's been that way for years now.

Comment

Another moronic interview. He just doesn't get it and he probably never will.

Comment

Working...
                X