Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody punch the heavy bag with their bare hands or just wraps?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody punch the heavy bag with their bare hands or just wraps?

I do sometimes...i enjoy it. Forces me to really focus on precision and technique. If your fist hits the bag at the wrong placement or angle, it's obviously 10x easier to hurt your hand. Plus I heard it better conditions your hands/knuckles.

I normally punch it at about 65% - 75% power and focus most on speed and precision.

Never done that. After all those years competing. Never once. Ive broken my right hand twice. Once during training and once during a fight. I can imagine what could happen with a slight accident with raw hands or just wraps. Your hands will look like shyt and feel like shyt I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by ayo' View Post
      Never done that. After all those years competing. Never once. Ive broken my right hand twice. Once during training and once during a fight. I can imagine what could happen with a slight accident with raw hands or just wraps. Your hands will look like shyt and feel like shyt I assume.
      I do this maybe 2-3x per month...my hands are fine. Maybe if boxers did this more they'd hurt their hands less? Just a theory. I did mess my hand up in a fight but it wasn't too bad. Healed completely in about 2 months despite continued use with more padding and hitting bag/mitts lighter.

Comment

Hey, if those thai kick boxers can kick trees with their shins to condition them, we should be able to punch padded bags to condition our fists lol.

Comment

yea, all the time...

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
            I do sometimes...i enjoy it. Forces me to really focus on precision and technique. If your fist hits the bag at the wrong placement or angle, it's obviously 10x easier to hurt your hand. Plus I heard it better conditions your hands/knuckles.

I normally punch it at about 65% - 75% power and focus most on speed and precision.
            Years ago, when I was taking martial arts, I did that exclusively. You tend to hold back because you don't want to break your hand. Now I also did a lot of open hands and elbows against the bag as well.

Comment

The knuckle on my right middle finger is messed up so I'd be on the ground shaking violently if I tried punching a heavy bag with no wraps. But yeah, I'd imagine it would condition your hands, but you just better not mess up and hit the bag wrong or your shyt is gonna get wrecked.

Comment

I sometimes do it, but only for a little bit. I'm always afraid that I'll mess up my knuckles or wrist because it would only take one misplaced punch.
                But years ago, back before I boxed, I would hit my 45lb Everlast bag without gloves or wraps frequently since it was light enough to not cause any pain or anything. Never caused any problems and I know for a fact I wasn't hitting it properly haha.

Comment

I did it when I was out of the country for a while and had no boxing equip but still wanted to train. Some of the skin on my first two knuckles tore off and I eventually had to stop for a while because I couldn't even throw a jab without making my hands bleed lol

Its definitely a good indicator of technique though. if your hands are hurting where they shouldn't be, chances are you ain't punching right

Comment

I'm going to loosely assume this is based partially on the old Muay Thai tree-kicking myths. In that case, I'll leave this article to you.

http://oldstylemuaythai.blogspot.com...ing-myths.html

There are no benefits to hitting harder surfaces bare.

Comment

Working...
                    X