Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somebody explain to me why Wladimir Klitchsko is better than Jess Willard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kendom View Post
    Those were accumalated shots, Willard did it with a single punch, the fighter didnt die from brain injury he died from a broken neck.
    A broken neck which he received from falling off a horse. Willard didn't cause the broken neck, he mearly added the final straw. I'm familier with the story.

Poet
    Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      A broken neck which he recieved from falling off a horse. Willard didn't cause the broken neck, he mearly added the final straw. I'm familier with the story.

Poet
      Really? can you elaborate more please

Comment

Really? can you elaborate more please
        If you want more detail you'll have to dig out old copies of Ring Magazine from the early 90s. In a nutshell, the fighter in question fell from a horse hurting his neck about a week before the fight. For all intents and purposes he was "dead man walking" from that point on.

Poet

Comment

If you want more detail you'll have to dig out old copies of Ring Magazine from the early 90s. In a nutshell, the fighter in question fell from a horse hurting his neck about a week before the fight. For all intents and purposes he was "dead man walking" from that point on.

Poet
          Thanks but I still think that he had a lot of power, being able to knock somebody out after 78 minutes of fighting is damn impressive to me.

Comment

Thanks but I still think that he had a lot of power, being able to knock somebody out after 78 minutes of fighting is damn impressive to me.
            That's assuming that:
            A. Johnson didn't just say "**** it" and laid down.
            B. Johnson didn't go down from shear exhaustion ala Foreman vs Ali. 78 minutes of fighting favors the fighter with the better conditioning. Johnson at that stage in his career wasn't that well conditioned.

Poet

Comment

I respect Wlad's technicality, he just doesn't have any good foils and isn't a crowd pleaser. Just a weak era, can't be helped.
              Last edited by Miburo; 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM.

Comment

That's assuming that:
                A. Johnson didn't just say "**** it" and laid down.
                B. Johnson didn't go down from shear exhaustion ala Foreman vs Ali. 78 minutes of fighting favors the fighter with the better conditioning. Johnson at that stage in his career wasn't that well conditioned.

Poet
                For your first scenario are u assuming that Johnson threw the fight? the referee confirmed that Johnson as genuinely knocked out, if Johnson didnt bother to get up it would be in his best intrests as he would have beeen koed anyway, and tiredness definetly played a role, but then again why wasnt Willard tired? it takes more than pure conditioning to be able to absorb punishment or 15 rounds and eventually turn the tide and score a knockout by 26th. Willard had extraordinary stamina.

Comment

For your first scenario are u assuming that Johnson threw the fight? the referee confirmed that Johnson as genuinely knocked out
                  No, but it WAS widely believed at the time.

if Johnson didnt bother to get up it would be in his best intrests as he would have beeen koed anyway
                  An assumption for which there is no evidence.

and tiredness definetly played a role, but then again why wasnt Willard tired?
                  Because Willard was the younger fresher man maybe? It couldn't POSSIBLY be that could it? A younger, better conditioned fighter outlasting an aging past-it fighter? Naw, that NEVER happens :rolleyes9:

Willard had extraordinary stamina.
                  And at that point in his career Johnson did not. Case closed, you've proven my point for me.

Poet

Comment

No, but it WAS widely believed at the time.

An assumption for which there is no evidence.

Because Willard was the younger fresher man maybe? It couldn't POSSIBLY be that could it? A younger, better conditioned fighter outlasting an aging past-it fighter? Naw, that NEVER happens :rolleyes9:

And at that point in his career Johnson did not. Case closed, you've proven my point for me.

Poet
                    Its a pretty good assumption based on the fact that johnson was tiring and the fight was against his favour, for the second rebutta, that wasnt my point, my point was that even though he was obviously better conditioned but i cant name many heavyweights who could go 26 rounds even if fully conditioned under sweltering heat and still have enough energy for a ko.

Comment

Its a pretty good assumption based on the fact that johnson was tiring and the fight was against his favour, for the second rebutta, that wasnt my point, my point was that even though he was obviously better conditioned but i cant name many heavyweights who could go 26 rounds even if fully conditioned under sweltering heat and still have enough energy for a ko.
                      Missing the point, which is if a fighter goes down and out from exhaustion it has nothing to do with punching power. It has everything to do with the better conditioned fighter outlasting his opponent.

Ali didn't beat Foreman with his punching power (which was average at best in anycase), he won it by exhausting George. You could have pushed Foreman over at that point and he wouldn't have beaten the count: His tank was THAT empty. Same thing with Johnson.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X