Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should graduation requirements be changed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should graduation requirements be changed?

The minimum wage thread got thinking should certain classes in high school no longer be required?
    Science, match, english, and history should be the only required classes, most of the other classes should be optional or replaced with things that will help you once you graduate.
    Art and PE are two of the most useless classes and should not required, and the majority of electives they offer are no help once you leave high school.

PE should be required and changed to the way La Sierra High School used to do it in the 1960s.

A sound mind in a sound body should be the goal for our young people. They need to grow up having both mental and physical vigor.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
      The minimum wage thread got thinking should certain classes in high school no longer be required?
      Science, match, english, and history should be the only required classes, most of the other classes should be optional or replaced with things that will help you once you graduate.
      Art and PE are two of the most useless classes and should not required, and the majority of electives they offer are no help once you leave high school.
      That is a very bad idea, if you think North America has a weight problem now watch what happens when you eliminate that. I dropped PE in my last year because I didn't need the credit and preferred the time off. I ended up gaining 15 pounds that year, thankfully I was tall so it didn't affect much but it would have a horrible affect on kids who are already sedentary. I also think art and other "useless" subjects, are important. Money is obviously important but so is being a well rounded, open minded person.
      Last edited by El-blanco; 07-26-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
        That is a very bad idea, if you think North America has a weight problem now watch what happens when you eliminate that. I dropped PEin my last year because I didn't need the credit and preferred the time off. I ended up gaining 15 pounds that year, thankfully I was tall so it didn't affect much but it would have a horrible affect on kids who are already sedentary. I also think art and other "useless" subjects, are important. Money is obviously important but so is being a well rounded, open minded person.
        You need 1 PE credit, im not saying take it out of school, just have it be optional instead of required.

Comment

You need 1 PE credit, im not saying take it out of school, just have it be optional instead of required.
          I think it should be required every year. People would develop weight problems much earlier. There's enough time in the day, ramming algebra down someone's throat for five hours isn't necessary.

Comment

Although I agree that there are a lot of useless classes, many do serve a function. A lot of classes I took helped me decide what I wanted to strive towards, even if they weren't exactly heavily based around intellectual ability. Like over here we need at least one credit in a technology course, whether that's automotive, construction or even programming it can really put a new perspective to certain fields.

And the problem is if you take those classes out, or at least make them optional in the sense that you can graduate without taking them, kids wont bother taking them. People are lazy enough as it is.

Comment

I think it should be required every year. People would develop weight problems much earlier. There's enough time in the day, ramming algebra down someone's throat for five hours isn't necessary.
              Most people who are obese in hs are still obese after. Them taking pe isnt gonna make them change, they have to want to change.

Comment

Most people who are obese in hs are still obese after. Them taking pe isnt gonna make them change, they have to want to change.
                so what should they do instead, more math? Lol. Not every kid is going to become an engineer or doctor. There are lots of great jobs in the legal world, construction, automotive etc. there's only so many high skilled, high education jobs available.

Comment

so what should they do instead, more math? Lol. Not every kid is going to become an engineer or doctor. There are lots of great jobs in the legal world, construction, automotive etc. there's only so many high skilled, high education jobs available.
                  Why not offer classes that have to do with learning a trade? Like welding or electrician, I think those are way better options

Comment

Why not offer classes that have to do with learning a trade? Like welding or electrician, I think those are way better options
                    I'm all for that, there's a shortage of good people in those fields and there's plenty of work available. Still think they can squeeze in a gym class lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X