Originally posted by New England View Post
    oh my god, yes.
    I said it first

Comment

newton opened up a can of whoop ass When he discovered gravity

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
        easy, Antiseptics

imagine how many would've died if no one thinks of cleansing every time a surgery is in place
        Actually there are a number of inventions and discoveries that are far more important than antiseptic in relation to surgery. Germ theory is first among them: Long before antiseptic was used doctors began to, you know, wash their hands and instruments. Anaesthetics predate antiseptics as well. Can you imagine having your newly amputated limb or sliced-open body cavity doused in carbolic spray to prevent infection? You need to stop the pain before you can start using antiseptic. Antibiotics is another more important invention but even earlier you had a move to proper wound care. The extent of surgery at one point was amputation. About half the people having bits lopped off would die of shock and blood loss and infection. Amputated wounds were treated with boiling bitumen. Yep, they were cauterized. Very nasty. Of course a 50% chance of death was better than the 100% chance of death from gangrene or blood loss.

This ratio was improved by proper ligation and tourniquets and the bandaging rather than burning of major wounds. To one in four deaths.

As far as medical procedures go I would say vaccination has saved more lives.

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
        The internet is an amazing human accomplishment that is incredibly taken advantage of. The instantaneous mass communication of everything is really something to behold. Literally centuries of knowledge is at our fingertips.
        I would rate writing over the internet. Writing is fundamental. The internet is just a way of storing the writing.

Comment

The toilet.

A simple device that makes our foul waste seem like it never happened.

Comment

The Tyre land bridge built by Alexander the Great still in use today.

Comment

The greatest human accomplishment is when human started walking upright. By walking on their hind legs they freed up their hands to produce simple tools.

Not far behind would be the development of language skills, which allowed for the exchange of complex concepts.

If we are talking about inventions, the use of fire and the invention of the wheel are what started it all.
              Last edited by Daniel Alpha; 10-11-2012, 07:47 AM.

Comment

There are so many.

I think advances in medicine like the cure for certain diseases like polio or small pox that killed millions.

Orbiting the earth, landing on the moon and now landing a rover on Mars TWICE.

Oh and my aunts Mole con Pollo.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  There are so many.

I think advances in medicine like the cure for certain diseases like polio or small pox that killed millions.

Oh and my aunts Mole con Pollo.
                  Im interested in the mole con pollo.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    There are so many.

That would be vaccination.

Four times wasn't it? Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity and now Curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                      Im interested in the mole con pollo.
                      It's my death row meal, best sh.it ever.

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                      That would be vaccination.

Four times wasn't it? Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity and now Curiosity.
                      Thanks for making me feel stupid at 8:45 am

Comment

Working...
                      X