Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name your favourite memorable/inspiring boxing quotes.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name your favourite memorable/inspiring boxing quotes.

Thought this would be an interesting thread where all you guys can post some of your favourite quotes from over the generations, from your favourite fighters, inspiring words, things that may have piqued your interest into boxing...just anything memorable that you can think of that had an effect on you, anything inspiring...entertaining...insightful about the sweet science, etc.

Discuss

I won't start off with anything obvious or cliche like an Ali 'float like a butterfly sting like a bee' quote but I think i'll start off with a few that I can think of off the top of my head that stick with me and remind me of the true nature of the sweet science.

"You can play football, you can play baseball, you can play...basketball! You can't 'play' boxing. Boxing...is serious stuff."

"Why did I want to win? Because I didn't want to lose!"

"The man without a chin, no stamina, dead man, broken man, whatever. On your way to the top, you always get some criticism. Criticism is a great motivation. Failure is not an option for me"

Larry Merchant after Fernando Vargas got Tko'ed by Oscar:

"Fernando had six pack abs but no six pack chin."

Comment

"Just like any other execution, you're entitled to your last meal. I asked my Spanish friends back in Philadelphia what they like to eat." (Hopkins then tosses plastic bags of rice and beans in Trinidad's direction. Hopkins also drew his finger across his neck in a slashing motion).

Comment

"I think it's a serious situation for us. I am very serious. For me, this is business and a sport, not just a big show. I am bad boy. This is my show -- knock him down, knock him out."

- Gennady "Triple G" Golovkin

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
          "Just like any other execution, you're entitled to your last meal. I asked my Spanish friends back in Philadelphia what they like to eat." (Hopkins then tosses plastic bags of rice and beans in Trinidad's direction. Hopkins also drew his finger across his neck in a slashing motion).
          And than in a press conference Hopkins states:

"I aint never losing to a white boy."

Right after, he loses to Joe Calazaghe.

Comment

"I know this may sound bad, but it feels good to hit someone and know you hurt him." - Miguel "El Angel" AKA KING Cotto

Comment

"The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters."

-Cus D'Amato

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                "I think it's a serious situation for us. I am very serious. For me, this is business and a sport, not just a big show. I am bad boy. This is my show -- knock him down, knock him out."

- Gennady "Triple G" Golovkin
                He didn't actually say the "bad boy" part, did he?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden View Post
                  "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters."

-Cus D'Amato
                  That's a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                    He didn't actually say the "bad boy" part, did he?
                    Yeah, he did lol. (end of the article)

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-talk-too-much

Comment

Working...
                    X