No announcement yet.

What's a Top Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
    Wlad beat Povetkin (#1).....Baldomir is an aberration. Upsets happen in boxing. Props to him for his accomplishment.
    So there's two number 1 per division if one is considered the champion then the guy ranked beneath him would be a top fighter?

So if Povetkin beat Wilder it wouldn't be considered a win over a top fighter but if Wilder beat Povetkin it would be?

Or would Wilder have to beat Wlad?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I think it depends on the person what a top fighter is. And good luck getting everyone to agree with that. Pretty sure there is a solid segment of boxing fans who think there are like 8 top fighters in boxing.

Personally I feel like anyone in the top 1% of their division (usually the top 15 or so guys) should be considered top or elite level guys.
      I usual go with top ten because good luck getting anyone to agree with the top 15.

But i think a lot of people take for granted how hard it is to be ranked top 10 or even 15. I mean good promotion helps but there's a lot of other guys out there fighting for a living and for you to be considered Top 10 out of a thousand is pretty special.

A lot of people call Rios a bum but the guy was the #2 LW while campaigning there.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
        So there's two number 1 per division if one is considered the champion then the guy ranked beneath him would be a top fighter?

So if Povetkin beat Wilder it wouldn't be considered a win over a top fighter but if Wilder beat Povetkin it would be?

Or would Wilder have to beat Wlad?
        Who has Wilder beaten to be considered a top fighter? He's an unproven contender with 1 top 10 win.

So yes. If Wilder beats Povetkin, it would be a win over a top fighter because Povetkin is the clear cut #1 guy in the division. But if Povetkin beats Wilder, he's basically doing what he's supposed to do as the #1 guy in line for Wlad's titles.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
          Who has Wilder beaten to be considered a top fighter? He's an unproven contender with 1 top 10 win.

So yes. If Wilder beats Povetkin, it would be a win over a top fighter because Povetkin is the clear cut #1 guy in the division. But if Povetkin beats Wilder, he's basically doing what he's supposed to do as the #1 guy in line for Wlad's titles.
          You have some pretty harsh standards but at least their clear cut and I can respect that.

Comment

Working...
          X