Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do shorter fighters often favor the hook punches to straight punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do shorter fighters often favor the hook punches to straight punches?

Guys like Smokin Joe, Tyson even he thew everything well but he seem to love to use Hooks more than most, dempsey, Marciano etc

Why if you are a short fighter do you want to give up even more range and speed etc by not punching straight?

Pacman still fires straight alot of the time despite being a short fighter.

It's not about giving up more range, the shorter fighter want's close distance to get maximium leverage on the punches, which in mid/close range usually is achieved with hooks. the opposite figther with the longer arms has a harder time to get max leverage on the punches and the power is smothered. thats all basic mechanics, i guess. but if you are a short fighter you can build your game with straight punches if you are quick enough so that your longer opponent cannot capitalize on the reach advantage. That is the case with pac. he makes up the lack of reach with his quick feet to cover distance and his exposiveness. he can get in and out of range so quick that few can capitalize on that. but pac also does get clipped when darting in and out.

hope that makes sense :-)

Comment

Originally posted by foobear View Post
      It's not about giving up more range, the shorter fighter want's close distance to get maximium leverage on the punches, which in mid/close range usually is achieved with hooks. the opposite figther with the longer arms has a harder time to get max leverage on the punches and the power is smothered. thats all basic mechanics, i guess. but if you are a short fighter you can build your game with straight punches if you are quick enough so that your longer opponent cannot capitalize on the reach advantage. That is the case with pac. he makes up the lack of reach with his quick feet to cover distance and his exposiveness. he can get in and out of range so quick that few can capitalize on that. but pac also does get clipped when darting in and out.

hope that makes sense :-)
      awesome perfect sense thanks bro!

Comment

Short fighters aren't giving up reach when they're throwing hooks. Us tall guys lose our advantage if we're coming in with hooks.

Comment

Personally I think for a tall fighter it has to do with training. My trainers have always hated that I like to fight in close because I'm 6'5. My uppercut and hook are my best punches though. I quite enjoy it because most short fighters instincts tell them to get on the inside fighting a tall guy and then they play right into my strengths.

Comment

Working...
          X