No announcement yet.

One of the Best U.S. Presidents of All times, if not the best

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the Best U.S. Presidents of All times, if not the best

GOAT status in my book. President Grover Cleveland. He was ruthless with the Veto pen, never shy in rejecting unconstitutional spending bills. And he was a Democrat, imagine that. One of the underrated greats, while all the flashy overrated ones (Lincoln, FDR, JFK, etc,.) get the Ali, Tyson treatment in the history books.

My Favorite:

Vetoes

Cleveland faced a Republican Senate and often resorted to using his veto powers. He vetoed hundreds of private pension bills for American Civil War veterans, believing that if their pensions requests had already been rejected by the Pensions Bureau, Congress should not attempt to override that decision. When Congress, pressured by the Grand Army of the Republic, passed a bill granting pensions for disabilities not caused by military service, Cleveland also vetoed that. Cleveland used the veto far more often than any president up to that time. In 1887, Cleveland issued his most well-known veto, that of the Texas Seed Bill. After a drought had ruined crops in several Texas counties, Congress appropriated $10,000 to purchase seed grain for farmers there. Cleveland vetoed the expenditure. In his veto message, he espoused a theory of limited government:

I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the general government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the government, the government should not support the people. The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow-citizens in misfortune. This has been repeatedly and quite lately demonstrated. Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character, while it prevents the indulgence among our people of that kindly sentiment and conduct which strengthens the bonds of a common brotherhood

That's how you control, out of control Government spending. Those were the days. Times for the individual.

PURE GREATNESS:

"When we consider that the theory of our institutions guarantees to every citizen the full enjoyment of all the fruits of his industry and enterprise, with only such deduction as may be his share toward the careful and economical maintenance of the Government which protects him, it is plain that the exaction of more than this is indefensible extortion and a culpable betrayal of American fairness and justice ... The public Treasury, which should only exist as a conduit conveying the people's tribute to its legitimate objects of expenditure, becomes a hoarding place for money needlessly withdrawn from trade and the people's use, thus crippling our national energies, suspending our country's development, preventing investment in productive enterprise, threatening financial disturbance, and inviting schemes of public plunder."

Cleveland's third annual message to Congress,
    December 6, 1887.

Comment

capitilisim makes people rich through useless inventions.

rich people need to start making things people need instead of worthless items that feed on the gulability and stupidity of americans inorder to be purchased.

many people will give you all kinds of diffrent opinion of what capatilisim is, but the realitity is, capatilism is the act of feeding on the stupidity of the people to sell them things they dont need for the SOLE purpose of makeing the seller rich.

shame more people dont know just how horrid capatilisim is.
      Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        Useless or not useless is up to interpretation. Who says?

I say, let the Market decide what is useless and what isn't. If it's useless, and if no one wants it, let the manufacturer and companies financing it go under.

A dildo is useless to me, but is always in demand by queers and women alike.

Comment

Originally posted by One Capitalist View Post
          Useless or not useless is up to interpretation. Who says?

I say, let the Market decide what is useless and what isn't. If it's useless, and if no one wants it, let the manufacturer and companies financing it go under.

A dildo is useless to me, but is always in demand by queers and women alike.

the market is stupid, and you take advantage of that, do you feel sorry for yourself? you should.

and the issue is just as much worthless services as it is worthless items.

Comment

the market is stupid, and you take advantage of that, do you feel sorry for yourself? you should.

and the issue is just as much worthless services as it is worthless items.
            Capitalism is far from ideal, but its the best option we have as a society. It may leave people behind but it brings more afront. The other end of the spectrum leaves us all behind. Its sad, but true I've seen it.

Comment

rich people need to start making things people need instead of worthless items that feed on the gulability and stupidity of americans inorder to be purchased.

many people will give you all kinds of diffrent opinion of what capatilisim is, but the realitity is, capatilism is the act of feeding on the stupidity of the people to sell them things they dont need for the SOLE purpose of makeing the seller rich.

shame more people dont know just how horrid capatilisim is.
              First of all, spell Capitalism right if you're gonna critique it with your dim view of it.

Free Market Capitalism is a environment for good and bad ideas. Productive and useless products.

What is your alternative chief? You wanna ban the sale of things you deem worthless? Your criticism is the equivalent of criticizing Internet because it isn't used enough by people to inform themselves, instead watching Dogs humping a cat on youtube, giving them 10 million views off of one video.

So do you wanna condemn the entire Internet, or just youtube, or both?
              Last edited by One_Tycoon; 03-11-2012, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Useless inventions? You mean like the sham wow?

Comment

And I don't know what part of this thread topic riled you up to give your view on Capitalism, but perhaps my other thread about abolishing the income tax was a better fit for your post.

We're just discussing the greatness of President Grover Cleveland here. Keep it moving, thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hous View Post
                    Capitalism is far from ideal, but its the best option we have as a society. It may leave people behind but it brings more afront. The other end of the spectrum leaves us all behind. Its sad, but true I've seen it.
                    if an alien from outerspace came to USA and watched us to get a better understanding of capitalism, he would leave with the following definition

Capitalism: the act of feeding on the stupidity of the public to sell them things they dont need for the SOLE purpose of makeing the seller rich.

it is a definition like this that turned Marx to communisim.

Comment

Working...
                    X