Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Martial Art Literally a Form of Art?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Martial Art Literally a Form of Art?

I was arguing with this person about art and how it should be an option to learn it in school, not something you are required to take through school. The person said we should take art in school so that we aren't stupid when we are exposed to the world.

So I said, 'well boxing is an art and if someone doesn't know anything about it, I don't think they are stupid, and if they don't want anything to do with boxing that's okay. Not knowing about art doesn't make you stupid.' So she said, boxing is not an art, it's just a sport. I said yes, it is a martial art and a sport, it was a martial art that was made into a sport with rules, but it's still a form of martial art. She said no, Boxing is not a martial art. I said, 'yes boxing is a martial art, look it up'. So she decided not to look it up and admit it's a martial art but still arguing that it's not a form of art. I did a facepalm and said, "Martial art is literally a form art. Art is just not painting you know? In a literal sense, martial art is an art".

So I googled it for her since she was afraid to be wrong, and refusing to google it or take my word for it, still viciously arguing that martial art is not an art. I googled "Is martial art a form of art" and literally every google link had an answer saying yes and explaining why. Of course, she was correct in her mind and did not want to see what I had googled, and said I am just changing what art is just to be right in the argument. I was so baffled that someone who was arguing that art has to be a school requirement for people not to be stupid, followed that up by rejecting an obvious form of art like martial art being an art. Talk about irony

You are right.

Another good example is the culinary arts.

And yes, your friend is one of those people who can't ever be wrong, at least in her mind. A good quote I heard once was, "changing one's mind as the facts change is a sign of high intelligence". Consider that when you run into other blockheads like this person.

Comment

Of course it is. Just like dancing is an art form.

Comment

Kev you are right, Martial Arts is an art form they call it performance art, also yes Culinary Arts is an art form.

I took a Culinary Arts class and not only does the food have to taste good you are also judged on the art design on the plate of how you present it, it must taste good and look good its art and you are judged on it.

The thing with martial arts and culinary arts compared to the other art forms is they are actually useful.

Martial Arts is also an art form in its purest forum, its organic and real to life.

No interpretation needed

This is performance Art so that chick is a moron for real
        Last edited by hectari; 06-20-2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I think you're misinterpreting the connotation of the word art in martial arts.

In this case the "art" in martial arts refers to this definition:

"a skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice."

Less so than creative art.

Also, ****ing really? really? How high were you]when you made this thread because if I didn't know who wrote this thread and somebody made me read it I would think whoever wrote it was the biggest pothead on the planet.

Comment

Comment

Let it be called art.

Most of these martial artists don't deserve to be called fighters.

Boxing is a sport, but boxers are fighters.

Comment

I would say most boxing is paint by the numbers, but you certainly have your artists like Ali, Mayweather, Locche, Pep, etc.

Comment

I'd say it's an art, it's a physical demonstration of your spatial awareness, which is basically what art is. Painting, sculpting, literature, etc. it's making your imagination come to life, you learn certain techniques through trial and error or being taught to produce the results you want. Some artists are more gifted than others, the elite, and you recognize it by their quality just as you do in boxing.
                  Last edited by Cutthroat; 06-20-2016, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Why would you want a fighting system to be an art?

It took me 5 or 6 karate classes as a kid to realize it was basically a yoga class that would get me killed in a fight and wanted to box/wrestle instead

id say keep fighting and art separate

Comment

Working...
                    X