Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Arum reveals details about 7/23 PPV card revolving around Crawford; L.A. possible

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Arum reveals details about 7/23 PPV card revolving around Crawford; L.A. possible

"It'll be probably midway...it's not a pay-per-view that we anticipate doing 7-800,000 buys or more...it's more of, you know, about 300 [thousand]...it'll be a big pay-per-view. It'll have some great fights on the card and that's what we're planning for July 23rd, maybe in Los Angeles," stated Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, who talked about the future plans of WBO jr. welterweight champion Terence Crawford.

300k seems very optimistic for this event...whoever he ends up fighting.

But we'll see if Ramirez wins the title and the put him on the undercard...he could potentially bring some viewers.

Comment

Anything over 100K is optimistic. I love Crawford, but Omaha only gets you so far.

Comment

For some reason I have a feeling Bob Arum is going to reach out to Haymon for a potential fight with Broner. Haymon has always been open to working with other promoters while Arum has not. We'll see what happens from there.

Comment

This has disaster written all over it. Unless they somehow make Crawford-Broner for the main event, I'd suspect this card does 40-50k PPVs tops. No way they'd hit 100k without throwing Rios and maybe Juan Diaz on the card, and even in bouts with cheap opponents it would still be too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
            This has disaster written all over it. Unless they somehow make Crawford-Broner for the main event, I'd suspect this card does 40-50k PPVs tops. No way they'd hit 100k without throwing Rios and maybe Juan Diaz on the card, and even in bouts with cheap opponents it would still be too expensive.
            Arum is thinking of staging it in L.A. so I could see him filling up the card with Mexicans. Plus the fact that he's been trying to one up Trump for some reason. But even so, I don't think it will do anywhere near 300k.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
              Arum is thinking of staging it in L.A. so I could see him filling up the card with Mexicans. Plus the fact that he's been trying to one up Trump for some reason. But even so, I don't think it will do anywhere near 300k.
              That will help tickets in LA, which they'll need because who is Crawford out there? but PPV buys?

They'll want Jesse Vargas defending that title as a co-main event, but he'll be expecting to get paid too. Might have to settle for Rios? Valdez if he wins against Gradovich could open the card.

I don't know man, this is sounding like an expensive card. 100k buys translates to 3mil to stage and pay all the purses. No way that covers everyone's purses, and expecting it to do more than that is risky af.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                That will help tickets in LA, which they'll need because who is Crawford out there? but PPV buys?

They'll want Jesse Vargas defending that title as a co-main event, but he'll be expecting to get paid too. Might have to settle for Rios? Valdez if he wins against Gradovich could open the card.

I don't know man, this is sounding like an expensive card. 100k buys translates to 3mil to stage and pay all the purses. No way that covers everyone's purses, and expecting it to do more than that is risky af.
                Yup, you're right. That's why I think he's gonna reach out to Haymon and see what they can put together. Either that or he'll have to reach out to Golden Boy and see what can be made.

I like Broner vs Crawford but I think Broner has a fight in a few weeks against Theophane so who knows when he'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
                  Yup, you're right. That's why I think he's gonna reach out to Haymon and see what they can put together.
                  You've got to be right. Arum surely isn't stupid enough to think Crawford can carry a PPV against a crash dummy, and no one else, not even Matthyse or Provodnikov, would really make a main event people would pay sixty bones for.

Crawford-Broner would appeal to hardcore and casual fans. With a good undercard 300k sounds very doable.

Comment

300K is a pretty damn successful event, even prices at 50 that is 15 million in revenue and cut in half that is 7.5 which is real money.

They would have to have Verdejo versus a real top end Mexican to be pushing that I reckon. Plus some other appealing fights and hope he does not get counter programmed with something on a major network that costs 0 even if the card is not as good.

Comment

Working...
                    X