No announcement yet.

Roberto Duran essentials?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberto Duran essentials?

Hi, don't why I never got around to it, but I want to start studying Roberto Duran. What are some of the essentials besides Leonard and Hearns.

What were his strengths besides the power obviously? I hear he was very much a thinking man's fighter, which I'll admit I am kind of partial towards.

I would recommend you read the book hands of stone. The great trainer Ray Arcel said Duran was one of the few fighters that could think in the ring. The reason roberto was so popular was his controled agression. View some of his fights on you tube such as those with carlos palimino. Duran was also very good at the prefight phyc games either trying to itimidate or in the case of palimino asking for his autograph for his son and throwing him completely off guard. As he got older he became more of a counterpuncher and relied on his defense. There is also a good post on my boxing coach on with videos on his growth as fighter and the styles that gave him trouble one being that of the very underated wilfred benitez.

Comment

You mean his essential fights? Anything up to and including Leonard I. Especially Buchanan, Marcel, Kobayashi, Ishimatsu, Thompson, Viruet I and II, Lampkin, Fernandez, Bizarro, De Jesus I, II, and III, Palomino, Leonard I obviously etc. that's a start.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        You mean his essential fights? Anything up to and including Leonard I. Especially Buchanan, Marcel, Kobayashi, Ishimatsu, Thompson, Viruet I and II, Lampkin, Fernandez, Bizarro, De Jesus I, II, and III, Palomino, Leonard I obviously etc. that's a start.
        also davey moore, marvin hagler, Iran barkley

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          All way past his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            All way past his prime.
            good fights though against bigger men

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              All way past his prime.
              But Duran essentials none the less

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                Pipino Cuevas too. He's also got some fun ones in there too that aren't really essential as such, but just good fights, like against top contenders Luigi Minchillo, Robbie Sims, his brilliant KO over Monroe Brooks, a great contender at 140 and one half of one of the greatest fights ever (vs Bruce Curry), and his fight with Emiliano Villa, who was a great title contender.

Actually, I forgot how many top guys he fought in between his 135 title fights. He'd generally fight 135 and 140 contenders in over the weight bouts (usually between 135 and 140) and through the 70's fought a who's who of top 10 contenders. Adolpho Viruet, Hector Thompson, Emiliano Villa, Jimmy Robertson, Monroe Brooks, Lou Bizaro, De Jesus, Ortiz, Saoul Mamby etc. All were top ranked 140 contenders, as well as 135 contenders or champions too for some. The lowest ranked of these guys at 140 was number 7 and the highest was champion or number 1 contender with all in between.

Imagine someone today going through the 1-7 top ten contenders of a division they're not really in as well as beating some of the champs there too.

Comment

With the exception of Buchanan and Leonard I, "controlled agression" was the hallmark of Roberto Duran's highlight reel. In the aforementioned fights, he was the consumate brawler, but in the others, he was a better "boxer" than given credit for. His defensive maneuvers were so subtle, they almost went unnoticed until picked-up on video tape.

Most fighters don't play defense and offense at the same time, Duran had the uncanny ability to slip punches while delivering his own, best exemplified against Davey Moore. The heavily favored champion in that fight was in way over his head and received a tutorial he wouldn't soon forget. Vowing to "avenge" his buddy's beatdown, Barkley would much later be himself stunned...

The videos below capture the essence of the man in the ring.

Anatomy of a boxing lesson
                  [vbtube]TF6at28s3wQ[/vbtube]

Clash of the Titans
                  [vbtube]c44bNoGQEQI[/vbtube]

Predator finally catches his prey
                  [vbtube]UYUC3NnaH8I[/vbtube]

Decisive conclusion to archrival trilogy
                  [vbtube]0aiuZ5Fh-sk[/vbtube]

The Brawl in Montreal
                  [vbtube]jZnsDfrnZjY[/vbtube]

Comment

I have not watched Duran-Moore since the first time it happened. Why? I see it as a somewhat tainted fight, due to the nasty thumb Moore took in the first. I don't think it was intentional, but I do believe it absolutely impacted the fight. Duran may have won it regardless, but I am certain we wouldn't have seen the horrific drubbing we saw if Moore wasn't one-eyed from the first round on.....

Comment

Working...
                    X