No announcement yet.

If Tiger never wins again.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    If Tiger never wins again......was he still, in his absolute peak from 1997-2008, the greatest golfer of all time???

There was a 2 year period where many consider Johny Miller's ball striking was the best ever seen. Nothing left the flag and he was hitting all the fairways. Tiger at his best was never a straight driver but his short game and clutch putting was inbelievable but for purists even at his best his accuracy with the long clubs let him down. Nicklaus has a far better driver and long iron player and more complete but not quite as good around the hole. the greatest ever has to be between those 2 although I am certain Tiger was on PEDs at his best. I used to work for ABC at the Open as a spotter and got Tiger's group on a regular basis as I could handle Tiger's Prima Donna antics where him and Steve williams would do their best to hide the club he was using from the spotters when ABC wanted to know what he was using. He looked like he was on gear to me and to me this brings a lot of his legacy into question.

Comment

I think he will win one master this year and a couple in 2014.

He is definitely getting back on track and at his best nobody comes close

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
        There was a 2 year period where many consider Johny Miller's ball striking was the best ever seen. Nothing left the flag and he was hitting all the fairways. Tiger at his best was never a straight driver but his short game and clutch putting was inbelievable but for purists even at his best his accuracy with the long clubs let him down. Nicklaus has a far better driver and long iron player and more complete but not quite as good around the hole. the greatest ever has to be between those 2 although I am certain Tiger was on PEDs at his best. I used to work for ABC at the Open as a spotter and got Tiger's group on a regular basis as I could handle Tiger's Prima Donna antics where him and Steve williams would do their best to hide the club he was using from the spotters when ABC wanted to know what he was using. He looked like he was on gear to me and to me this brings a lot of his legacy into question.
        Elaborate...

Comment

I saw Tiger in person. There's nothing out of the ordinary about his physique.

Comment

tiger would annihilate anybody who ever golfed in a 18 hole h2h when he was in his prime. he's too long for those guys to deal with on par 4 and 5 holes.

the guys against whom he was competing were on shorter courses with antiquated club technology.

now, if they played a par three, it would be much more competitive.

Comment

Please elaborate on how he looked like that, because Tiger has never looked anything but a normal in shape athlete to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                He still is on pace with Jack. Both have won the same amount of Majors at the same age. I think he has a fair shot at at least tying him with 18.

He will probably destroy the all time tournaments won record of Snead.

The one thing with Nicklaus though, is that he finished runner up in 19 majors. That's pretty crazy.
                WOW , I never knew that. Now that I know that stat and coupled with his 4 more Major wins, you'd have to say Nicklaus is still the GOAT.

Does anyone know how many times Tiger has finished runners up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
                  WOW , I never knew that. Now that I know that stat and coupled with his 4 more Major wins, you'd have to say Nicklaus is still the GOAT.

wouldn't there have been a lot fewer pro/full time golfers then? If that is true then it would have been easier for a great player to finish near the top of the leader board. Wouldn't it? I don't know anything about golf that I didn't learn at the driving range whilst wearing my gardening gloves but it would seem Nicklaus would have held a distinct advantage in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post

I believe Tiger has 6 runner up finishes in Majors.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazinga! View Post
                      wouldn't there have been a lot fewer pro/full time golfers then? If that is true then it would have been easier for a great player to finish near the top of the leader board. Wouldn't it? I don't know anything about golf that I didn't learn at the driving range whilst wearing my gardening gloves but it would seem Nicklaus would have held a distinct advantage in that regard.
                      I think you have to look at their respective contemporaries.

Jack had Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Lee Trevino.

Tiger had Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, Vijay Singh.

Comment

Working...
                      X