Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it fair if Virgil Hill gets voted into the HOF but not Michalczewski?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
    the WBO was NOT a world title until about 2005...it was a european/asian based regional belt much like the NABF was to north america. joe calzaghe defended his WBO title like 20 times or something but only 3 or 4 of them were actually world title fights because the WBO was not recognized as a world title. many of the younger generation do not know this. the WBO is still the least respected to this day & has only been a world organization for about 8 years. so his win over virgil hill to collect the WBA & IBF from virgil hill was actually his first world title wins. he had a good record in germany but all his WBO title fights were NOT WORLD TITLE fights unless they were after 2005...
    I don't know when the WBO became a major belt but European based stars made the belt relevant. Hamed gave up other belts and defended that belt, Joe C defended that belt, prior to him Chris Eubank did the same thing. I will say this in the early days of this belt quite a few club fighters won the belt as better quality fighters wanted nothing to do with the belt. If you are old enough to remember the creation of the IBF belt it's history mirrors the WBO.

Comment

Years back the only belts that afforded meaning were the WBC & WBA the others were "junior titles" or run offs for contenders.
      Today ALL the belts have lost their meaning because there's simply to many divisions and far to many so-called champions representing all these BS federations!

Ray.

Comment

I've heard of 4 or 5 of his opponents, early in his career he went 25-0 against his cousins! Hell put him in HoF its become a drop off spot for popular personalities. That's ok by me popularity is important to sell seats and the HoF to me is not about over all talent its about making boxing fans happy! The hall of "Famous" not Great!

Ray.

Comment

If Hill is in the HOF, then Michalczewski should be in... I think their careers are pretty close in terms of achievements...

I think they are lower end HOFers, but in terms of the thread, both should be in..

Comment

Working...
          X