No announcement yet.

Finally "GMO's rear its ugly head"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Finally "GMO's rear its ugly head"

"Russia suspends import and use of American GM corn after study revealed cancer risk"

- The European Food Safety Authority orders review in to the research, conducted at a French university
    - Russia's decision could be followed by other nations
    - Experts at the University of Caen conducted an experiment running for the full lives of rats - two years
    - The findings found raised levels of breast cancer, liver and kidney damage
    - The same trials also found minuscule amounts of a commonly used weedkiller, Roundup
    - Both the GM corn and Roundup are the creation of US biotech company Monsanto

Russia has suspended the import and use of an American GM corn following a study suggesting a link to breast cancer and organ damage. Separately, the European Food Safety Authority(EFSA), has ordered its own review in to the research, which was conducted at a French university.

The decision by Russia could be followed by other nations in what would be a severe blow to the take-up of the controversial technology. Historically, biotech companies have proved the safety of GM crops based on trials involving feeding rats for a period of 90 days. However, experts at the University of Caen conducted an experiment running for the full lives of rats - two years. The findings, which were peer reviewed by independent experts before being published in a respected scientific journal, found raised levels of breast cancer, liver and kidney damage.

The same trials also found evidence that consumption of minuscule amounts of a commonly used weedkiller, Roundup, was associated with a raised risk of cancer. Both the GM corn, which carries the name NK603, and Roundup are the creation of US biotech company Monsanto. The decision by the Russians to suspend authorization for the American GM corn threatens to trigger a transatlantic commercial and diplomatic row.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
    "Russia suspends import and use of American GM corn after study revealed cancer risk"

- The European Food Safety Authority orders review in to the research, conducted at a French university
    - Russia's decision could be followed by other nations
    - Experts at the University of Caen conducted an experiment running for the full lives of rats - two years
    - The findings found raised levels of breast cancer, liver and kidney damage
    - The same trials also found minuscule amounts of a commonly used weedkiller, Roundup
    - Both the GM corn and Roundup are the creation of US biotech company Monsanto

Russia has suspended the import and use of an American GM corn following a study suggesting a link to breast cancer and organ damage. Separately, the European Food Safety Authority(EFSA), has ordered its own review in to the research, which was conducted at a French university.

The decision by Russia could be followed by other nations in what would be a severe blow to the take-up of the controversial technology. Historically, biotech companies have proved the safety of GM crops based on trials involving feeding rats for a period of 90 days. However, experts at the University of Caen conducted an experiment running for the full lives of rats - two years. The findings, which were peer reviewed by independent experts before being published in a respected scientific journal, found raised levels of breast cancer, liver and kidney damage.

The same trials also found evidence that consumption of minuscule amounts of a commonly used weedkiller, Roundup, was associated with a raised risk of cancer. Both the GM corn, which carries the name NK603, and Roundup are the creation of US biotech company Monsanto. The decision by the Russians to suspend authorization for the American GM corn threatens to trigger a transatlantic commercial and diplomatic row.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

A number of researchers not involved in either Monsanto or this study have questioned the methodology, the omissions made in the methodology (how much were they fed and at what intervals) and accused the authors of the study of going on a "statistical fishing trip". They have also pointed out that if the effects based on a 90 day trial were so pronounced why are we not seeing people dropping like flies in the US where such GMO corn has been in general use for the last decade?

It's fairly typical that Russia, seeing an opportunity to stick it to the yanks, have decided on the strength of one rather methodologically weak study have decided to ban the crop. It's also no surprise that the French are considering it too.

And it's really no surprise at all to see it reported in the Daily Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
      A number of researchers not involved in either Monsanto or this study have questioned the methodology, the omissions made in the methodology (how much were they fed and at what intervals) and accused the authors of the study of going on a "statistical fishing trip". They have also pointed out that if the effects based on a 90 day trial were so pronounced why are we not seeing people dropping like flies in the US where such GMO corn has been in general use for the last decade?

It's fairly typical that Russia, seeing an opportunity to stick it to the yanks, have decided on the strength of one rather methodologically weak study have decided to ban the crop. It's also no surprise that the French are considering it too.

Officially debunked.
      Last edited by rorymac; 09-26-2012, 07:21 AM.

Comment

The pied piper of the rat race to the rescue. Move along move along nothing to see here. Everything is completely fine in the world and their is absolutely no need to question anything or anyones authority.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
          Officially debunked.
          I'm not saying it is debunked. What I am saying is that there are valid criticisms of the study which in itself concluded the need for further long term studies. I'm also saying that Russia doing anything that could be deleterious to the United States is immediately suspect. Russia is dedicated to embarrassing the US which is why their official English language propaganda channel spends almost all of the time talking about US failures while ignoring Chechnya, ***** Riot, Putin's electoral fraud and the like.

Comment

I'm not saying it is debunked. What I am saying is that there are valid criticisms of the study which in itself concluded the need for further long term studies. I'm also saying that Russia doing anything that could be deleterious to the United States is immediately suspect. Russia is dedicated to embarrassing the US which is why their official English language propaganda channel spends almost all of the time talking about US failures while ignoring Chechnya, ***** Riot, Putin's electoral fraud and the like.
            Lol I meant to highlight the Daily Mail bit

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
              Lol I meant to highlight the Daily Mail bit
              Hahaha furry muff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                The pied piper of the rat race to the rescue. Move along move along nothing to see here. Everything is completely fine in the world and their is absolutely no need to question anything or anyones authority.
                What does GM food have to do with authority? I mean I know you kids like to automatically take what you see as the anti-authoritarian stance on everything but conflating everything with authoritarianism is ridiculous.

Comment

how can i tell if the tortillas i eat, are made of GM Corn.

Comment

Originally posted by the_ilest View Post
                    how can i tell if the tortillas i eat, are made of GM Corn.
                    Depends on how yer liver feels

Comment

Working...
                    X