Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a link between hand size and punching power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is definitely an extremely high correlation between hand size and punch power with bare knuckles. Even with wraps+gloves too but this is of course somewhat then diminished.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
      Dude try thinking before you write you have a Picture Of Pac and Algeri look how small Pacs hands look compared to Algeri yet Algeri only has 6 knock outs
      pac's knuckles easily matches algieri's

Comment

george forman said it was and i believe him

Comment

I dont think it is, a friend of mine I sparred with had smaller hands than me, and mine are average, I'm around 210lbs he is probably 170ish he trains the exact same way I do, throw his punches in the same manner as me too, as we grew up because I was the bigger guy of out of us two he sort copied everything I did. ANYWAY thats besides the point he has small hands but he hits as hard with 16oz gloves on as the CW's and HW's i've had sparring sessions with. He is around 5'9 but no one from 160-175 wants to spar with him as he punches that damn hard.

It's got to be with bone structure and bone density, obviously technique plays a massive role too, but a guy who is naturally very strong, big strong triceps and tree trunk legs will generally hit harder than someone who's got weak triceps, and skinny legs. (No Wilder jokes)

The biggest punchers i've personally felt are those with massive legs, not fat, the muscular ones who plant their feet and it seems as though they're hitting through you!

Comment

i have small hands and small wrist but my bone are hard and i pack a punch

Comment

I have sparred with a very big guy, but he didn't have that venomous power this other guy had who was the same weight as me. The big guy surely could hurt me cuz he was 20 pounds heavier, but I could absorb it and move on.

However, disparity in size does start to matter after a certain point, so Paulie would definitely hurt say Omar Narvaez. So the Heavyweight vs Minimumweight comparison is invalid. Better if you look at guys in the same weight class.

The other guy I'm talking about he was like knocking people out in amateurs. His every shot including his jab kept me on my toes.

Then there were other guys who were also the same weight whose shots though could hurt me, but again I was able to absorb better.

IMO Power is something intangible like durability or courage.

Also you can't attain it cuz in that case Malignaggi would've figured that out. The best you can do is to put your body better in to your shots to be a tiny bit more effective, but if your technique was already precise then that is all to it.

To answer your question precisely: NO.
              Last edited by Box-Office; 11-04-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Punching power is mass (weight) x speed, period. Big and small handed fighters can be KO artists.

Comment

X

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                  Dude try thinking before you write you have a Picture Of Pac and Algeri look how small Pacs hands look compared to Algeri yet Algeri only has 6 knock outs
                  Dude you know what small hands means? Measured when making a fist. PAC has big wrists and hands for his size, he also wears a size 11 shoe and he is only 5 foot 6' Chris is six foot tall, I would hope his hands would look big, but he has tine wrists and ankles compared to manny.

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
                    pac's knuckles easily matches algieri's

Packs fists look much thicker, algieri has long thinner fingers. PAC is stocky, thick wrists, big hands, head,, and feet and candles aka giant dwarf, Chris is a normal proportional civilized man, PAC is a caveman.

Comment

Well take the case of for example ballistics.

.45 APC @ 230 Grain 850fps = ~365ftlb of energy
                      .45 APC @ 230 Grain 950fps = ~460ftlb of energy

Now take a .40S&W or .40 Cal

.40S&W @ 135 Grain 1350fps = ~565ftb of energy

So, in this case the smaller/faster and close to 50% lighter bullet carries much more energy than even the fastest/heaviest of .45 APC.

Its all about technique, speed of the punch and and following thru or punching thru the target.

And to close, like someone else mentioned earlier...you got to use your legs and torso...ie: Technique

Comment

Working...
                      X