No announcement yet.

Devon Alexander and the Chinese situation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
    The problem was Devon's use of the word "chinamen". It's likely Koreans and other ethnicities that own corner shops. He also fails to realize this doesnt only happens in black communities or whatever. White neighborhoods all over the greater Seattle area are full of Korean owned stores. Wth is wrong with a Korean owning a corner store in the first place lol I just don't get it.

He's just not bright enough to articulate his main point which I believe is he wants more blacks to own their own businesses in his city. There is nothing wrong with that, but tossing around the term Chinamen and acting like there is some Asian conspiracy to rip off blacks by owning corner stores is ridiculous.
    Exactly! By his grouping other ethnicities into the word "chinamen" and using the word in and of itself was like a double-barrel shotgun to his head.

Comment

So he felt disrespected by them directly, and then probably was made to feel inadequate by the fact that they own more businesses in his area than the people born in his community.......well by that, he should have taken up a cause in a very productive manner and worked his community not into rebelling against them, but trying to emulate their success by helping those originally from his community, the black community and others to become independent, strong, and resourceful which they are capable of. He has opportunity around him and he is blowing it with his remarks. I'm hoping what he has is just envy/jealousy/an experience that has gone too far. If he has actually gone to China just to beat up a Chinese guy (not sure I believe that), then that is not racism, it is worse, it is mental illness.....and that is scary.
      Last edited by richardt; 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer_of_Sheep View Post
        Have you ever heard about something called motherfuc*ing history, you mutt?

Since when asian people the weight of fuc*ing slavery on their shoulders? Since when asian people have been segregated from the rest of the western world? Did asians have to take ****tier public transportation and other public services? Did asian people have virtually been negated the basic rights that every other citizen in western societies have? Have asian people been shot like lambs just because they because the way they look? Fuc*ing NO!
        Asian people, while not as much as the common white people, have always been priviledged when compared to the black community.

You can't compare! inverted racism doesn't fuc*ing exists, its just something that stupid people like you invented to feel a little better about themselves. Black people CAN'T' socially and politically opress white people you idiot.

"Oh, moma, a black man just called me a white bi*ch"

"That's ok my son, whenever you are competing for a job, you will aways get the benefit of the doubt because of our color. The police will probably never hurt ou harrass you just because of your color. You won't have to grow up in dangerous and segregated neighborhoods, etc etc"

Now go on and do the world a favour and kill yourself or at least cut your genitals so you can't procriate. You fuc*ing delay on human progress.
        Wow, maybe you should educate yourself too. Ever read about the chinese workers on the railroads in murrica? Thats not the same as slavery but they endured heavy racial prejudice, and once the railroads were finished there were contracts out to wipe out (read;murder) the remaining chinese. Also the "chinese exclusion act" was the first US law ever to prevent immigration and naturalization on the basis of race.

Additionally, maybe you shouldnt be so hesitant to use anything to support your argument no matter how banal it is and you won't get trolled like you did above, twa t.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
          Exactly! By his grouping other ethnicities into the word "chinamen" and using the word in and of itself was like a double-barrel shotgun to his head.
          I would've thought that people would know by now that any 'nickname' for a race of people is most likely a slur. Especially "Chinamen" makes it sound like the chinese are a subset or different species of the human race apart from the rest of us.

Comment

Without getting into the whole racist thing on this, if Devon really wanted a listening audience, I think he could have used a better angle such as instead of people in his community giving money to other businesses, how about encouraging the building the black-owned business community up. Offer something to his community instead of just harboring resentment.

If he senses the need for economic justice in his town, how about taking some of the money he has earned and opening a small chain of soul food restaurants in his community. Hell, I wish someone would open some in my area. I was raised in East Oakland and there used to be more soul food restaurants than there are now. I live not far from there but I'd go anywhere for good soul food.

I will say this, I was always treated with way more respect at black-owned establishments, especially the Black Muslim Bakery, than I have ever been treated at Chinese restaurants. Some of the wait staff at Chinese restaurants are downright rude and unaccommodating. I don't take it too personal because there is a sense of rush and lack of personal customer service at times and that may be more cultural than what I perceive as rudeness which does happen often in my experience.

Devon should have used the approach of establishing an urban presence with self-sustaining black-owned businesses and the message behind community building if he perceived such an issue with the Chinese restaurants. Perhaps he is jealous/envious of their success in his neighborhood, or he had a bad experience which is sounds like since some of those restaurants can have rude people or perceptibly rude people working there.

Simple cure - use his power and money to change things by improving his community with more dining options or other businesses. I think he had a bad experience or a legitimate perception that he took and snowballed into his own judgment and this clouded his opinions and from there he took his uncontrolled emotions to public. He should funnel his emotions into productivity and community involvement, rather than community depreciation.
            well written. very good post.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUNG3-TANK View Post
              I would've thought that people would know by now that any 'nickname' for a race of people is most likely a slur. Especially "Chinamen" makes it sound like the chinese are a subset or different species of the human race apart from the rest of us.
              Very true. And that is what is so sad, that it is acceptable in this day of age. Many times I will hear "well, isn't it freedom of speech". And I have to remind them that freedom of speech does not mean consequence free; does not guarantee against one facing law suits and public rebellion/humiliation and the ways this can destroy someone's image and their career and brand them a racist. Amazing how some words can inspire people to great heights, and other words start wars. The old expression really fits Devon: "Loose lips, sink ships".

Comment

Without getting into the whole racist thing on this, if Devon really wanted a listening audience, I think he could have used a better angle such as instead of people in his community giving money to other businesses, how about encouraging the building the black-owned business community up. Offer something to his community instead of just harboring resentment.

If he senses the need for economic justice in his town, how about taking some of the money he has earned and opening a small chain of soul food restaurants in his community. Hell, I wish someone would open some in my area. I was raised in East Oakland and there used to be more soul food restaurants than there are now. I live not far from there but I'd go anywhere for good soul food.

I will say this, I was always treated with way more respect at black-owned establishments, especially the Black Muslim Bakery, than I have ever been treated at Chinese restaurants. Some of the wait staff at Chinese restaurants are downright rude and unaccommodating. I don't take it too personal because there is a sense of rush and lack of personal customer service at times and that may be more cultural than what I perceive as rudeness which does happen often in my experience.

Devon should have used the approach of establishing an urban presence with self-sustaining black-owned businesses and the message behind community building if he perceived such an issue with the Chinese restaurants. Perhaps he is jealous/envious of their success in his neighborhood, or he had a bad experience which is sounds like since some of those restaurants can have rude people or perceptibly rude people working there.

Simple cure - use his power and money to change things by improving his community with more dining options or other businesses. I think he had a bad experience or a legitimate perception that he took and snowballed into his own judgment and this clouded his opinions and from there he took his uncontrolled emotions to public. He should funnel his emotions into productivity and community involvement, rather than community depreciation.
                i was raised in east oakland to 73rd Lockwood st went to Lockwood elementary, frick jr high, and Fremont High lol

but most black businesses dont last... my uncle opened up a funeral home and nobody died because people in the hood start loving eachother, my aunt opened a chicken shack and the whole neighborhood went vegan... its just a lost cause brother... look at soul beat in eastmont mall it all went down the drain

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                  i was raised in east oakland to 73rd Lockwood st went to Lockwood elementary, frick jr high, and Fremont High lol

but most black businesses dont last... my uncle opened up a funeral home and nobody died because people in the hood start loving eachother, my aunt opened a chicken shack and the whole neighborhood went vegan... its just a lost cause brother... look at soul beat in eastmont mall it all went down the drain
                  I lived right over the high street bridge leading to Alameda on East 8th in Oakland which is the industrial part of Oakland and then right across the park street bridge in Oakland and also 5 blocks from east 14th street. I went to Lazear school and used to love eating and Flint's BBQ and now Everett and Jones. Some of the Mexican grocery stores on 8th made wonderful pastries and we used to pick those up when we could afford them. Telegraph used to have a few soul food restaurants but they went away. Yeah, Eastmont Mall is where when something would go down, the rented security cops would go to the other end of the mall. They figured they weren't getting enough money to risk their lives. That's another whole topic itself. When I cut school, I would go to that mall and hang out. I met my buddy Ice John Scully at the Oakland Coliseum a week before his fighter Dawson fought Ward. I've know Ice for over 10 years online. I've even worked 3 blocks from Oakland Airport.
                  Last edited by richardt; 09-03-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I lived right over the high street bridge leading to Alameda on East 8th in Oakland which is the industrial part of Oakland and then right across the park street bridge in Oakland and also 5 blocks from east 14th street. I went to Lazear school and used to love eating and Flint's BBQ and now Everett and Jones. Some of the Mexican grocery stores on 8th made wonderful pasties and we used to pick those up when we could afford them. Telegraph used to have a few soul food restaurants but they went away. Yeah, Eastmont Mall is where when something would go down, the rented security cops would go to the other end of the mall. They figured they weren't getting enough money to risk their lives. That's another whole topic itself. When I cut school, I would go to that mall and hang out. I met my buddy Ice John Scully at the Oakland Coliseum a week before his fighter Dawson fought Ward. I've know Ice for over 10 years. I've even worked 3 blocks from Oakland Airport not far from Francesco's which has great Italian food.
                    lol thats wassup!!! my close friends family owns everett n jones, i love that place and flints n mccoys was the best, i met a guy who gave me the secret sauce recepie, (ketchup, brown sugar, and liquid smoke)

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                      lol thats wassup!!! my close friends family owns everett n jones, i love that place and flints n mccoys was the best, i met a guy who gave me the secret sauce recepie, (ketchup, brown sugar, and liquid smoke)
                      Yeah, what a coincidence! I cracked Flint's BBQ sauce after 5 tries. Flint's is heavy on molasses which is how I like it. Everett and Jones does everything very good. They sell their sauce in just about every grocery store now. Bo's BBQ in Lafayette was great but they closed last month.

FYI - what a great fighter Salvador Sanchez was. He will never be forgotten. As you know, he fought 3 ATG fighters and stopped them inside the distance. I think he would have added at least a couple more ATG's to his list if he lived.
                      Last edited by richardt; 09-03-2014, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X