No announcement yet.

Opinions Wanted: Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Wanted: Larry Holmes

Where do you rank Larry Holmest at HW all-time? I was recently thinking about his "Rocky Marciano couldn't hold my jock strap." comment, and got to thinking. Where does he rank all-time? I would put him top 10 for certain. What hurts him though, is that he was champion against very weak opposition, IMO. And then, back-to-back losses to a blown up Michael Spinks really start to make you wonder.

So where do you rank him all time at HW?

Definitely top 10, I'm sure. I'll wait to see a list before being sure where exactly I think he should be.

He suffered from a weaker era while champ and being the kingpin following the greatest ever, but luckily got a classic win beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by NoConcoms View Post
      Where do you rank Larry Holmest at HW all-time? I was recently thinking about his "Rocky Marciano couldn't hold my jock strap." comment, and got to thinking. Where does he rank all-time? I would put him top 10 for certain. What hurts him though, is that he was champion against very weak opposition, IMO. And then, back-to-back losses to a blown up Michael Spinks really start to make you wonder.

So where do you rank him all time at HW?
      robbed in both fights................

Comment

I have in #2 all time behind Ali

My top three
        1 ali
        2 holmes
        3 lewis

Holmes was a contender in 70's, champ in the 80's and still a top guy in the 90's

Holmes had the best hw jab, his will to win, were his to greatest assests

Watch Holmes vs Norton to see what heavy fights use to be like... Its like lewis-klit but longer and without the horrible cut

Comment

Still don't know how he got up from that shot from Shavers.

It sounded like somebody got shot with a rifle when it connected.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            I have in #2 all time behind Ali

My top three
            1 ali
            2 holmes
            3 lewis

Holmes was a contender in 70's, champ in the 80's and still a top guy in the 90's

Holmes had the best hw jab, his will to win, were his to greatest assests

Watch Holmes vs Norton to see what heavy fights use to be like... Its like lewis-klit but longer and without the horrible cut
            Me too. Aesthetically and skill wise, Holmes was my favorite HW fighter to watch besides Tyson/Ali. I have no doubts he'd give ANY HW in history a run for their money, and beat a majority of them.

Comment

1 Ali
              2 Louis
              3 Holmes
              4 Liston
              5 Dempsey

He's in my top 3, but that could change as my mood does. I've been to a ton of alphabet soup boxing conventions, and this question comes up all the time. A lot of people you run into at these things have Holmes as their #1 all time heavy, and it's not that ludicrous of an opinion.

Comment

below ali.

above tyson.

around guys like louis, lewis, tua,...

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                  below ali.

above tyson.

around guys like louis, lewis, tua,...
                  Tua?????

lol. thats funny

Comment