Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the BH section think of JCC's legacy

Just wondering what you guys think of, when you think of Julio Cesar Chavez

All time great.

Argubally the greatest fighter to come from Mexico.

Vastly overrated by his hardcore fans, most have dissapeared today but there are still a few lurking around.

But all in all a great fighter with one of the all time great chins to add to that.

Comment

Yes, greatest boxer from Mexico, an obvious all time great, and a total throwback fighter.

Top 50 ATG for sure, maybe even top 25.

Chavez was a force of nature and his unbeaten streak may never again be matched.

Comment

My take on his career, and an analysis of his notable wins.
        http://aaboxing.blogspot.com/2011/05...lio-cesar.html

Comment

He was a great, great fighter. He was more skillful than pseudo-purists like to believe he was.......he was pretty damn good at slipping punches for a guy who was almost always coming forward. His accuracy and ability to put hard shots together in combination is matched by few in history.

Pseudo-purists also like to say he was easy to outbox...even though the only guy who outboxed him when he was near his time is one of the most masterful boxers in history- Whitaker. Getting outboxed by Pernell Whitaker doesn't mean you're easy to outbox....

What is overrated about him is his record, that's all. It is indeed a great record, but some put too much stock in it.

He has a lot of haters because he got some questionable calls in his career, and because of what I said about his record. Those haters actually wind up underrating the guy when all is said and done.
          Last edited by jabsRstiff; 08-01-2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
            He was a great, great fighter. He was more skillful than pseudo-purists like to believe he was.......he was pretty damn good at slipping punches for a guy who was almost always coming forward. His accuracy and ability to put hard shots together in combination is matched by few in history.

Pseudo-purists also like to say he was easy to outbox...even though the only guy who outboxed him when he was near his time is one of the most masterful boxers in history- Whitaker. Getting outboxed by Pernell Whitaker doesn't mean you're easy to outbox....

What is overrated about him is his record, that's all. It is indeed a great record, but some put too much stock in it.

He has a lot of haters because he got some questionable calls in his career, and because of what I said about his record. Those haters actually wind up underrating the guy when all is said and done.
            Was hugely overrated in his day IMO but due to the inevitable backlash to that is probably now underrated. Good example of the dangers of rushing to place a current fighter in a historical context.

Comment

I once made a thread here saying he was probably in the top 5 or even top 3 GOAT boxer and they all laughed at me.

"I cringed " said one member

The so called "experts" in this section don't know their history well.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
                I once made a thread here saying he was probably in the top 5 or even top 3 GOAT boxer and they all laughed at me.

"I cringed " said one member

The so called "experts" in this section don't know their history well.
                Top 5 is hugely overshooting. This is the problem you go top 5 and people then write him off completely so he doesn't even make the top 500. Out of interest who fill the other 4 spots?

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                  Was hugely overrated in his day IMO but due to the inevitable backlash to that is probably now underrated. Good example of the dangers of rushing to place a current fighter in a historical context.
                  Yes, I heavily get that impression as well.

his diehard, overzealous fans just went overboard in their day. Now I think a lot of people dont give him the credit he deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
                    Yes, I heavily get that impression as well.

his diehard, overzealous fans just went overboard in their day. Now I think a lot of people dont give him the credit he deserves.
                    He was the best fighter in the world from around '88 to '93. Having him there at that time wasn't overrating him.....but, (at that time) already calling him the greatest fighter ever, or saying he rated along Sugar Ray Robinson is the overrating you guys speak of...

Comment

Working...
                    X