Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Rank Offer For Cotto To Face Sergio Martinez is Reportedly 5 Million Guranteed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cotto's a marquee name.... a ppv fighter.....

but he gets whooped by both guys....

martinez needs cotto more than canelo.... canelo has a huge following.

Comment

I think Top Rank will up the offer before is all set and done but at the end of the day Cotto is playing this in a way no other boxer has done before. He is fighting on 1 fight deals and putting the two big promotional companies and TV networks on a bidding war for his services. If he wins his next fight the purse that will come after that will be almost double what he is getting offered now.

Comment

i'll take the martinez fight if i were cotto. his stature won't suffer a lot even if sergio beats him knowing that he has to move 1 division up and sergio is a p4p fighter.

losing to canelo would make him look like a gatekeeper.

if he plans to retire soon and wants to cash out, the canelo fight is more reasonable but if he plans to contine fighting he should fight sergio first.

and of course the upside of him winning against martinez is so much more than beating canelo.
        Last edited by brick wall; 11-16-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

i dont know why cotto fans want him to fight sergio, he would get destroyed easy.

Comment

Cotto should fight Martinez, then Canelo and finally retire after a rematch against Pacquiao. Legendary career.

Comment

Difference with Cotto now is that he doesn't mind fighting in non-PPV fights. He can fight anyone, actually. No one will care. Whereas Alvarez has to prove he has reached the PPV status. Anything less than Cotto may fail miserably in the box office.

The other danger why Schaefer wanted Cotto so bad is because this is boxing. Anything can happen. A low ranked fighter can still pull an upset. That's why Alvarez has to fight Cotto NOW before something bad happens.

Comment

Both guys end cotto. He won't be taking knees, he'll be laid out.

At least he'll be compensated very well.

Comment

Yall can call Martinez a ballerina all you want but he is going to beat the bricks off Cotto

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
                    I think Top Rank will up the offer before is all set and done but at the end of the day Cotto is playing this in a way no other boxer has done before. He is fighting on 1 fight deals and putting the two big promotional companies and TV networks on a bidding war for his services. If he wins his next fight the purse that will come after that will be almost double what he is getting offered now.
                    Yea he is playing it exactly right, especially since he never burned any bridges.

Top Rank is in a tough sport the Martinez fight is a big fight no doubt but how much earning potential does it really have compared to Cotto-Canelo which probably has a lot. So Top Rank needs to sweeten the deal but how far can they go without cutting their own throat, same could be said for GBP but I do think they have more margin on the back end.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                      Yea he is playing it exactly right, especially since he never burned any bridges.

Top Rank is in a tough sport the Martinez fight is a big fight no doubt but how much earning potential does it really have compared to Cotto-Canelo which probably has a lot. So Top Rank needs to sweeten the deal but how far can they go without cutting their own throat, same could be said for GBP but I do think they have more margin on the back end.
                      I think Top Rank needs to ask themselves how many PPV buys Cotto-Martinez can make. If they feel it does from 600-700K(That is the number I think it does) can they justify giving Cotto 10 million + the 60-65% he will ask of the purse? They would have to make the fight @ MSG and put a high price tag on the tickets to make a significant profit. GBP on the other side can offer Cotto 10 million and 60% because they know the fight will do 1 million buys and by putting it in Vegas they can make a lot of money on the gate and pretty much pay Cotto's purse on that alone.

I think Arum will show Cotto the money just to prevent him from going back to GBP.

Comment

Working...
                      X