No announcement yet.

Steve “USS” Cunningham Captures vacant IBF Cruiserweight title in Germany

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve “USS” Cunningham Captures vacant IBF Cruiserweight title in Germany

By Christoph EichelNeubrandenburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany) “USS “ Steve Cunningham wins the vacant IBF cruiserweight title. Cunningham the only man to have beaten WBO Cruiserweight champion Marco Huck struggled to secure a meaningful fight while those in the division who Cunningham had already beaten where either champions or had title challenges lined up.

Panamanian Guillermo Jones captured the WBA cruiserweight title, Cunningham has a win over Guillermo Jones. In 2007 Cunningham travelled to Poland and defeated the now WBC champion Krzysztof Wlodarczyk.

Many fans wanted a rematch with Tomasz Adamek who beat Cunningham via a split decision on December 2007 at the Prudential Center, Newark, New Jersey. During the fight Cunningham was sent to the canvas on three separate occasions, however Cunningham seemed to be in control of the fight from the most part after establishing the jab. Cunningham never got their rematch after Adamek made the transition to the heavyweight ranks.

Tonight Cunningham from Philadelphia came out the aggressor hunting the circling Ross who was rocked in the second round after been caught against the ropes. Cunningham was sent to the canvas in the fourth, but seemed more disappointed than hurt as the customary eight count was administered.

Unexpectedly the bout was stopped before the start of the fifth; Ross was cut inside his left eye forcing the referee to end the fight, The lid below the left eye of Ross had separated and the judgment looked to be the right call from the referee. Minuets lated Cunningham was announced as the new IBF cruiserweight champion. A rematch is a real possibility.

Now USS Cunningham has a title, the future of the cruiserweight division is looking more interesting as it may prove a lucrative proposition and secure Cunningham those meaningful fights.

Cunningham is such an underrated fighter. He is the best CW in the world right now.

Comment

I could only find a stream when they were in the 4th and Ross scored the KD, how were the other rounds looking before that? who was up anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
        I could only find a stream when they were in the 4th and Ross scored the KD, how were the other rounds looking before that? who was up anyone know?
        cunningham was on his way down and ross was on his way up after the knock down.

but his cut was bad man it was on the eye lid,the replays showed that it was the result of a punch also a thumbing to his eye but it was a good fight.

Comment

I started watching halfway through the second, and there wasn't really anything in it.

Comment

Troy was winning that fight and would've knocked Cunningham out if they wouldn't have stopped it. He has to rematch Troy and beat him for me to believe he's the best in the division.

Comment

It's interesting to note the he has wins over Wlodarczyk (and a loss), Huck and Guillermo Jones who hold the other 3 titles in the sport.

He really needs a rematch with all of them so he can unify the division, he has beaten them all but the Wlodarczyk rematch will be a rubber match so that should be more interesting. Though a rematch with Ross would be good too since Ross has just scored a KD.

I believe he's the best CW in the world, he was just unfortunate not to grab a title sooner because two of the very best Cruiserweights in recent years were champions in the division (Haye then Adamek)

Comment

feel bad for Ross.

He was really starting to come on in the fourth and landed several hard punches, including the knockdown.

the eye injury was clearly caused by a thumb to the eye, which literally got caught on Ross' eyelid and pulled on it 'til it ripped open.

Hopefully they can make a rematch.

Comment

Good ****. I'm happy for Cunningham.

Comment

Horrible Decision in Ross vs. Cunningham

Wow, I am absolutely amazed. I watched that fight between Troy Ross vs. Steve "USS" Cunningham. I am amazed first off that after four rounds, the judges could actually have scored it a draw.

Troy Ross was in control of that whole fight. He was completely outboxing Cunningham, perhaps you might score one round a draw, but then in the fourth round, Troy Ross knocked Cunningham down. It was not a "FLASH" knockdown, it was clearly hard and on the chin. Ross started to proceed forward to take control and Cunningham throws a light punch and the replays all clearly show the thumb of Cunningham ripping the eyelid of Troy Ross. Ross immediately turned away as it was clearly a FOUL.

I can understand how the referee might not have seen this at first, but the replays clearly show this. The fight in reality should have gone to the scorecards, but now I'm reading above that the fight was a draw up to that point.

This is also suspicious as Steve "USS" Cunningham just signed a multifight deal with Sauerland. It is obvious whom they wanted to win this fight.

I believe Troy Ross should have a rematch and in the least if they do have a Cruiserweight Super Six, which would be extremely exciting, Troy Ross should be in it.

Having said that, the fight had to be stopped by the doctor at that point. That was a good decision as Troy Ross clearly could not see through his eye after having Cunninghams thumb rip right into it.

Comment

Working...
                    X