Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just watched Ivan Robinson vs Arturo Gatti 1998, great fight!

Watching Robinson work the ring, and Gatti for that matter, was a pleasure and only solidifies the notion of what a great amatuer background will do for a fighter.

Gatti was steadfast with his approach, and as he continued forward Robinson continued to pepper Gattis face with leather. Gatti would fight a good portion of the fight with the eye partially closed.

It would sound as though Gatti was losing this fight by a land slide but as Gatti always does he lands his bombs all the same while taking the punishment.

The judging was wide in the first two judges scoring. One voted Robinson wide and one for Gatti by a wide margin. The 3rd judge had it 96-94 for Robinson. If you rewatch the 10th round of the fight at one point you will see Gatti landing a hook while sliding out. The blow had a delayed reaction on Robinson as he swayed so lightly in the breeze. He stumbled and fell into the ropes with the ropes being his only source of stability. Technically this was a knockdown that would then change the 3rd judges card to a draw and it would have ended the bout as a draw.

Great fight though............Rockin'

Comment

• James Toney vs. Michael Nunn. Two good undefeated middleweights in a fight that had a lot of skill being shown. The way Toney could slip punches and counter with rights was great. Nunn looked like he had a Ali type style and was trying to steal the rounds. Even had Dundee in his corner but that wasn't enough in the end. Good fight to watch.

Camacho Jr. vs. Leija. To me Jr. was one of those fighters who could dish it out but couldn't take it. He had fast hands and was landing some good shots on Leija but an accidental headbutt in the 5th made Jr. panic and wimp out. I've seen fighters with worse cuts than that continue to fight. They ended up making that fight a NC and rightfully so.

Comment

• I missed Junior and Sergio live so I watched the replay! What the hell has happened to boxing, a green kid who has never been taught to jab? What a joke this so-called fight was, this was the "best middleweights"???
        I'll take the "current" Jake Lamotta over both in the same night!! The old champ uses his jab as he shadows out and his uppercutts and hooks are supirior to Sergio's too! hahahaha!!! What the hell happened to this sport??
        Those are the best there is to offer the public? Sad state!! Ray.

Comment

• Camacho vs. Rosario- I had Rosario winning this fight 7-5 but I thought a few of the rounds could have gone either way so I won't argue with the decision. From what I've read it was after this fight that Camacho adopted a safety first style of fighting. He was rocked pretty bad in this fight but I have to give the guy credit because until this day he has never been knocked out.

Chavez vs. Rosario- Chavez just went forward and took care of business.

Chavez vs. Taylor 1- Will always be torn by the stoppage. On one hand I can understand where Steele was coming from because Taylor didn't answer when he was asked if he was ok. On the the other hand I thought he fought his heart out and deserved the benefit of the doubt so he could continue. One of the all time great boxing debates.

Chavez vs Roger Mayweather 1- I checked Roger's record before this fight on boxrec. Sure enough he had defeated quite a few Mexicans before this match up. But this was one Mexican he could not assassinate.

Toney vs. Barkley- Toney just straight picked Barkley apart. Barkley showed a lot of heart to keep coming forward but it was a good stoppage by his corner.

Comment

• Trinidad vs. Campas- Good slugfest. Campas had a chin that wasn't anything human. To take those kinds of shots from a prime Tito at welterweight really says something.

Comment

• Naseem Hamed/Barrera. Hamed had no idea how to handle Barrera.

Comment

• William Joppy vs. Hacine Cherifi

&

Joe Lassisi vs. Mike Sedillo

both pretty good bouts

Comment

• I just watched Ward vs Dawson. Man, what a mean assed hook Ward has, over the top and pulling it to the side with all of his weight. It was basicaly Wards ring all night. I was very disappointed in what Dawson showed, Scully was on que telling Dawson that he has to hurt Ward, even after that Dawson showed nothing to indicate that he was willing to lay it on the line for the win. 187 total punches thrown for a 12 round fight. It had to be the weight loss, I couldn't imagine Dawson having such a meek heart........Rockin'

Comment

• Originally posted by George Nada View Post
                    Camacho vs. Rosario- I had Rosario winning this fight 7-5 but I thought a few of the rounds could have gone either way so I won't argue with the decision. From what I've read it was after this fight that Camacho adopted a safety first style of fighting. He was rocked pretty bad in this fight but I have to give the guy credit because until this day he has never been knocked out.

Awsome fight. Yeah, that fight generaly turned the Macho Man into the Marathon Man. Rosario put a bunch of hurt on Camacho that night. Until that night nobody had been able to come close to getting to Camacho like that. Rosario ate Hectors heart that night. Great fight though, I actually had Rosario winning..........Rockin'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                      Awsome fight. Yeah, that fight generaly turned the Macho Man into the Marathon Man. Rosario put a bunch of hurt on Camacho that night. Until that night nobody had been able to come close to getting to Camacho like that. Rosario ate Hectors heart that night. Great fight though, I actually had Rosario winning..........Rockin'
                      Sad what happened to Rosario in the later stages of his life by letting drugs and alcohol get the better of him. Didn't even know until recently when I started looking up his fights. That being said I really liked his style of fighting. You could tell the dude always came to fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X