Greatest 190 lb fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest 190 lb fighter?

Plenty of candidates here.

There's obviously Marciano, Tunney and Dempsey. Cruiserweight Holyfield. RJJ was still a phenom at 193. Floyd Patterson. Who is your pick for the 190 lb H2H GOAT?

Originally posted by Pugilist_Spec View Post
    Plenty of candidates here.

There's obviously Marciano, Tunney and Dempsey. Cruiserweight Holyfield. RJJ was still a phenom at 193. Floyd Patterson. Who is your pick for the 190 lb H2H GOAT?
    Marciano or Dempsey. Marciano had better heart, chin, stamina, and power but Dempsey had better speed, footwork, and all around skill. I would give the edge to Marciano but it would be an extremely entertaining fight.

Comment

Jean Marc Mormeck, of course! Have you seen a picture of him compared to Marciano and Louis? That alone makes it a FACT!

Leroy

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Jean Marc Mormeck, of course! Have you seen a picture of him compared to Marciano and Louis? That alone makes it a FACT!

Leroy

Comment

late 80's Holyfield.speed /technique/ movement /footwork /chin/ endurance...way to much for any guy around 200.

Comment

Can't be just one, that's unrealistic that one man could defeat the likes of;
            Dempsey
            Tunney
            Louis -under 190 as a young man
            Conn
            Walcott
            Charles
            Moore
            Marciano-188-91 prime
            Foster
            Johnson
            M. Spinks
            Holyfield--190 as a young man

Louis is the favorite here for me with Dempsey & Marciano having punchers chances. Holyfield a more complete competitor like Charles & Tunney.

To me the weight classes are clearly defined, the funny angle is that everyone is a Heavyweight! There's no weight limitation to fight in that division. It's an Open Weight division come one come all.
            Ray

Comment

the best is a relative term....All the guys listed so far could be the best under diffrent circumstances.

If all these guys entered a tournament I would think that Tunney might come out on top. He beat Dempsey and had the skills to do what Conn did against Louis and not get KOed. Marciano would be tough for Tunney and so would Holly but I think he had the skills to pull it off.

Comment

The long count was a reality, Dempsey had him beat. I do agree that a solid boxer with a good punch is a favorite over the pressure guy who has good power!
                However that's when the chin comes in and that's where Moore and Holyfield
                might shine.
                The 175lb division is very tough to pick from and a 190 class is the same to me your just adding Heavyweights who didn't bulk up and as a young men starting out could make 190.
                I saw Holyfield at 178 (light heavy amateur weight) in the amateurs and he looked outstanding. His shoulders
                were broad and his legs were strong. He was quirky with some funny looking steps but he had leverage at a young age and was impressive.
                Spinks right hand was pure dynamite he tuned everything with it he hit like a mule at 165lbs.

I still like Louis because his punch technique is the best of all of them.

nite now, hope Pascal stops talking and starts boxing. He could give Koval a better fight this time but they rarely do after a loss!
                Ray

Comment

there have been some very good fighters mentioned here but max Schmeling deserves an mention. my top two would be louis and holyfield with the rock and dempsey at the second tier. I know gene Tunney beat jack twice but the long count combination shows how dangerous jack was if he was slightly younger and in a more active period of his career he may have been to explosive for gene.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                    there have been some very good fighters mentioned here but max Schmeling deserves an mention. my top two would be louis and holyfield with the rock and dempsey at the second tier. I know gene Tunney beat jack twice but the long count combination shows how dangerous jack was if he was slightly younger and in a more active period of his career he may have been to explosive for gene.
                    Agreed. Overall, I go with Holyfield.

Comment

Working...
                    X