Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What weaknesses do you see in Golovkin's game?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What weaknesses do you see in Golovkin's game?

Now I'm a fan of Golovkin and I think he destroys all the current big names at MW and the SMW's not named Andre Ward, but I'm just trying to think about what he does that his opponents can exploit and what type of opponents could give him trouble.

After watching his fights with Adama and Stevens, I've seen some things that I think Golovkin's opponents could exploit, like his rhythm and holes in his defense. Similar to Matthysse, you can see Golovkin load up when he feints or throws the jab to set up his powerful right hand. You can see his back leg tense around the shin every time he's about to shift his weight into punches. That is the main reason I don't think he'd beat Ward. Ward is too smart and has too sharp reflexes to get hit by telegraphed power punches like Gennady's. Also, his head movement - while good when he's out of range - on the inside, really isn't that good at all and his guard isn't that tight. He's very hittable coming in, but on the inside, his opponents have usually been too scared to engage. I think someone with a well timed right cross (ala JMM-Pacquiao IV) could exploit his telegraphed power punching (someone who doesn't go into their shell out of fear of the big shots landing, that is).

Couple weeks back, when I said somebody like Danny Garcia could exploit Golovkin's weaknesses, I meant someone at middleweight who could withstand elite power and wasn't afraid to use his elite timing to catch Gennady coming in. Stevens had success timing Gennady's rhythm with left hooks countering Gennady's powerful right (the hooking cross), because he saw how Gennady was setting it up, but he stopped and went into defense mode when he could no longer handle the power. Now Curtis was stopped in 2 by Angulo, so his chin was questionable. But IMO, if a MW had the timing and power of Stevens, along with the toughness of say, Rosado (without the toilet paper skin), I think Gennady would have a long, loooong night against him.

What do yall think? Any other weaknesses you can see in Gennady's game?

Gennady Golovkin has no weaknesses. He is the perfect fighter. His only weakness, if any, is he is too skilled/talented for his own good.

Comment

I just watched the Adama fight and he looks open to a lot of shots he leaves his body open and he's kinda slow and plodding. I'm a fan obviously but it just seems like if he fought someone like a prime Martinez he would def get beat. it just seems like a fighter with speed and good movement would be trouble for him

Comment

A reason GGG may look easy to hit or have suspect defence at times is that he doesn't really respect his opponents' power - his iron chin allows him to walk in, stalk the opponent and knock them out...it may look like a weakness but as a pressure fighter who cuts the ring off, getting hit comes with the package. I don't see anyone beating GGG, it's really unlikely to say the least IMO because it's very difficult to hurt him, let alone knock him out, and you won't be able to take many of his power shots...for sure boxers who can keep him off them will have a chance but I don't see glaring issues with GGG's game, just products of his style which are to be expected, at worst.

Comment

Golovkin doesn't really telegraph as wildly as you make it. He times a lot of his shots, mixes up power and placement all over the place. As an offensive fighter, he does about everything you could ask for. His main weakness would be that he's not that fast and also that he doesn't care if he gets hit sometimes. This would be my main concern with him moving up in weight - his power will carry up, but he might not be fast enough against someone like Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
            I just watched the Adama fight and he looks open to a lot of shots he leaves his body open and he's kinda slow and plodding. I'm a fan obviously but it just seems like if he fought someone like a prime Martinez he would def get beat. it just seems like a fighter with speed and good movement would be trouble for him
            He's not plodding man, the steps he takes are deliberate, he's methodically cutting off the ring, he's been chasing fighters who react to his power his whole career. If you notice, Adama couldn't get away from him.

Weaknesses in his game, lack of head movement and doesn't look comfortable on the backfoot. Possibly willing to take too many shots but I actually think he's got the measure of his opponent when that starts happening and knows the risk is low.

He should not move up in weight imo.
            Last edited by Weebler I; 02-01-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

He likes to punch first. If you keep the jab going and use lateral movement, he has a hard time getting set because he is robotic in his attack. His right hand comes in fast but it is wide. He also likes to counter and you can lead him if you feint because he will initiate a counter movement and leave himself open.

He isn't unbeatable, he just has freakish power or something less than legal/ethical going on but I'll give him the benefit until some other facts come to light. A guy with good lateral movement and a jab will give him issues and a lefty could get inside that right and do some serious damage. If there was a Pac type fighter at 160...that kind of a fighter would be a nightmare for him. In my opinion, Ward would make him look very, very bad in a fight given their styles.

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
                he half-assed and fought in first gear the entire fight, didn't give a sht about adama's power

people shouldn't take too much from that fight

Comment

footspeed.

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
                    Gennady Golovkin has no weaknesses. He is the perfect fighter. His only weakness, if any, is he is too skilled/talented for his own good.
                    Then he should move up and easily dominate all those dudes there.

Comment

Working...
                    X