Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvin Hagler: Should he have kept on fighting after Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvin Hagler: Should he have kept on fighting after Leonard?

I dont mean in the sense of fighting for more years, rather 1-2 more fights so he could of retired on a win, rather than on a loss.

I don't believe so as he looked technically bad in the Mugabi and Leonard fights (why Leonard fought in the first place) getting hit by loads of shots he would have parried or slipped in his prime. He retired with his legacy intact and at the right time in my opinion. He was planing on retiring before the Leonard fight anyway as he knew he looked bad and was losing motivation. He didn't want to accept the fight but, did not want to be labeled as a ducker and his wife persuaded him because, of the financial gain available.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      I don't believe so as he looked technically bad in the Mugabi and Leonard fights (why Leonard fought in the first place) getting hit by loads of shots he would have parried or slipped in his prime. He retired with his legacy intact and at the right time in my opinion. He was planing on retiring before the Leonard fight anyway as he knew he looked bad and was losing motivation. He didn't want to accept the fight but, did not want to be labeled as a ducker and his wife persuaded him because, of the financial gain available.
      I heard his wife was dead against it

Comment

Really? In the book Four Kings I'm sure she was at first THEN when the numbers reached 20 million she gave into the pressure and changed sides.
        I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by -Lightsout- View Post
          I dont mean in the sense of fighting for more years, rather 1-2 more fights so he could of retired on a win, rather than on a loss.
          The only fight I think Hagler would have been interested in at the point was the Leonard rematch. Unfortunately for him, Leonard retired again immediately after the fight. By the time he came back Hagler had already retired.

Comment

Hagler did the right thing. He had already passed his peak. The only thing he would have accomplished is making more money, and I understand that Hagler is very well off financially and healthwise. Other than a Leonard rematch, the only thing left for him would have been an ill advised jump in weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Hagler did the right thing. He had already passed his peak. The only thing he would have accomplished is making more money, and I understand that Hagler is very well off financially and healthwise. Other than a Leonard rematch, the only thing left for him would have been an ill advised jump in weight class.
              Yeah, Michael Spinks would have torn him to pieces at that stage in his career.

Comment

Working...
              X