Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there ever be a cross-over, dominant Boxing/MMA fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope so, well at least for a boxer to go into mma.

It would be awesome to see one of our guys walk into UFC and clean house. It would cast a good light on boxing making UFC fans wake the **** up and realize UFC is packaged bullshlt. It's annoying how every time a UFC fighter racks up some consecutive wins, he/she is all the sudden the greatest ever in MMA. The sport's talent pool and substance is just very shallow.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
      I don't see Algieri as a boxing purist, more like an enthusiast, and I recommend Algieri going as the first male cross title holder. That is if Algieri cares about UFC and its hype. Seeing how Also and Conor did 1million ppv, they could easily market it for the man that went 12 with Pac.
      Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
      I hope so, well at least for a boxer to go into mma.

It would be awesome to see one of our guys walk into UFC and clean house. It would cast a good light on boxing making UFC fans wake the **** up and realize UFC is packaged bullshlt. It's annoying how every time a UFC fighter racks up some consecutive wins, he/she is all the sudden the greatest ever in MMA. The sport's talent pool and substance is just very shallow.
      Yeah well, James Toney kinda ruined that chance, didn't he?

Comment

MMA fighters will never be boxing stars, Anderson Silva was supposed to be one of the best MMA strikers ever and he lost to some bum in boxing. Some UFC fighters have pro boxing records and they've been fighting some cans and low level journeymen, they lost some fights and won some. Nothing that would suggest they could hang with decent boxers yet alone become dominant.

So the only chance is if some boxer crosses over.

The thing is that MMA doesn't even have a clearly defined ruleset, the modern UFC unified rules favour wrestling, but you never know, Conor is largely successful because of his boxing and has minimal grappling experience. I don't think UFC will take a risk of matching him up with Algieri after the negative experience with Holm.

I don't think that a boxer who'd be dominant in MMA could stay dominant in boxing for much long, he'd have to devote most of his energy and training to grappling and other aspects of MMA. If you're not dedicated to boxing full time you can't be dominant.

It's interesting because in MMA you had top representatives from almost all combat sports except boxing. You had elite (olympic) wreslers, olympic judokas, elite kickboxers and the best BJJ and Sambo grapplers. There hasn't been an elite boxer in his prime cross training and fighting in MMA yet and probably never will.

Remember that UFC is only big in USA and Brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          MMA guys are gonna transition better to just boxing than a boxer is gonna transition better to all the different fighting methods coming at you in MMA.
          I am thinking the opposite.
          There are a lot of good MMA guys who are strikers. Silva comes to my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by nveleven View Post
            I'm sure most people will immediately say 'no', but NFL/MLB fans could not have imagined a Bo Jackson. If he'd stayed healthy and had a full career, that dude would have been a super legend.
            Now that UFC has found its audience, it seems that this has to be the goal of some young ones out there with a "Bo Knows" mindset.
            The riches gained from this would be unheard of, as a promoters/sponsors' wet dream.
            I think someone from Gen Z will produce the first one.
            Thoughts?
            ABSOFCKINGLUTELY.

I mean if bo jackson and deion sanders can play two completely different sports at its highest level then i dont see why a badass fighter from either side cant do it either. plus somebody mentioned holly holm in the thread and i think she qualifies.

boxing and mixed martial arts are closer in similarity than baseball and american football.

i absolutely think it can WILL happen. somebody just has to be ambitious enough.

just look at some of the titlist boxing has had throughout its myriad of divisions. you mean to tell me someone like mcgregor cant will himself enough to train and put in the reps to take a belt?

how bad is the heavyweight division in boxing vs mma? you mean to tell me somebody from the UFC heavys cant lift a belt from some of the heavyweights we've seen over the years in boxing?

its only a matter of foresight, ambition time and most of all physical talent. with the peds available? come on....

Comment

Working...
            X