Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made you a boxing fan? Why do you love the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first fight that made me fall in love with boxing was Drederick Tatum vs Homer Simpson. Both were undefeated at the time and it was a pretty big fight, however the ending was pretty controversial.

Comment

I've answered this one in the past. What made me a fan; undercards. After ordering my first series of PPV's I became intrigued by the guys who weren't stars and the guys who were up and coming. I wanted to know more about them. I knew I had to dig deeper lol.

I realized there was this whole world hidden from casual observers that was full of characters and storylines... Essentially what this all comes down to is the moment when you see Fighter A who you've been following and appreciating for years get in the ring with Fighter B who you've been following and appreciating for years. Surreal experience. There's nothing quite like it.

And the education it's given me... Wow. I'm literally more intelligent than I was before I became a boxing fan. I know more about the Universe and the laws of nature because of boxing. I know more about human potential because of boxing. I can't get philosophical or scientific without making a boxing analogy. I listen to people talk about things in sport or in life and I just shake my head. They're working with so little information...

Comment

The glory of hearing the decision "AND THE NEWWW" at first. Now from interviews to countdown shows to post fight press damn conferences, pop culture references, so just about everything about it i love it.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
          I've answered this one in the past. What made me a fan; undercards. After ordering my first series of PPV's I became intrigued by the guys who weren't stars and the guys who were up and coming. I wanted to know more about them. I knew I had to dig deeper lol.

I realized there was this whole world hidden from casual observers that was full of characters and storylines... Essentially what this all comes down to is the moment when you see Fighter A who you've been following and appreciating for years get in the ring with Fighter B who you've been following and appreciating for years. Surreal experience. There's nothing quite like it.

And the education it's given me... Wow. I'm literally more intelligent than I was before I became a boxing fan. I know more about the Universe and the laws of nature because of boxing. I know more about human potential because of boxing. I can't get philosophical or scientific without making a boxing analogy. I listen to people talk about things in sport or in life and I just shake my head. They're working with so little information...
          I like this explanation. Great post A-wolf.

Comment

I love boxing because it is the only sport where it bares the soul of the competitors involved..
            Watching holyfield vs bowe 1 or a castillo corrales,,, there is nothing better in all of sports

Comment

Canelo's snake.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                I know more about the Universe and the laws of nature because of boxing.
                This is going in my sig.

I'd love to hear what boxing taught you about the universe, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                  Canelo's snake.

Comment

watching ali and foreman marathons on espn classic was amazed

Comment

My dad. My dad was always watching and talking boxing and still is. My whole childhood everything he ever tried to teach me about life came with a boxing analogy. He still does it lol. He tries to tell me to save my money-comes out in a boxing analogy about stamina. He tries to tell me about staying with one girl-he compares it to Chad Dawson changing trainers all the time and how it ruins him I swear.

I remember when I was getting a hard brush off from a girl and I was working up to mini-stalker level when I was like thirteen and my father sat me down and out came the boxing analogy. He's like "You don't have to be the lead puncher when you engage someone. Sometimes you've got to stay on the outside and let them overextend themselves and hunch over into your wheelhouse and BANG!" and I'm trying not to laugh but his enthusiasm for it always made me love it.

When I went into the gym he took me to and I realized how hard it actually was and all that was going on it was like I went from loving it because my dad loved it and it was something we could both be into to loving it for my own reasons and it was a whole new level of love. Everyone who is physically able should get their butt to a gym and experience it at least a little bit because it's a whole new appreciation for EVERYTHING you'll probably get. I'm not saying you *can't* appreciate it if you aren't able to do that, but it can sure help you get the fullest appreciation. But dad got me watching it and he got me doing it and I'm glad he did.
                      Last edited by GoldenGloveLove; 03-23-2014, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X