Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before HBO drops boxing from their network altogether?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
    You definitely got your MBA from Harvard.
    No he did not stop encouraging him he's an idiot

Comment

I have no idea if HBO is ever going to remove boxing from their network or just change things up. They have top P4P fighters on their network, it's just that the big fights are lacking. Canelo, Ward, Kovalev, GGG, Gonzalez, Lomachenko, Crawford, Bradley. Those are 8 of the best guys in boxing, they're just not being matched up tough other than Canelo fighting Cotto and Ward fighting Barrera. The difference between PBC mismatches and HBO mismatches is that PBC is free on over the air TV or basic channels, while HBO presents their mismatches at a premium, and networks fanboys like to complain about only one, the wrong one.

HBO has a bunch of other good fighters like JMM, Nicholas Walters, Nonito Donaire, Provodnikov. They're just not making worthy fights.

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
        HBO Boxing Ratings average in 2005 = 3.7 million average

HBO Boxing Ratings average in 2015 = 915,000

That's 25%.

HBO Boxing budget in 2005 = $90 million

HBO Boxing budget in 2015 = LESS than $30 million.

That's over a 67% decrease.

HBO's income from Sopranos... (viewers, syndication, dvd, international) = $2.3 Billion

HBO's income from boxing = less than $70 million per year
        Wait so I'm not even going to fact-check those numbers.

Let me just get this straight: you're saying they're going to kill off a programming offering that, according to your figures (whatever the source may be) is producing a 133% ROI annually???

Comment

U have to be a dummy to think HBO boxing will disapear within a year lol. Now we got to deal with network groupies Cant believe this ****. lol Even saw a dummy vote within a couple of months lol.

Hbo boxing aint going nowhere...

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
            Wait so I'm not even going to fact-check those numbers.

Let me just get this straight: you're saying they're going to kill off a programming offering that, according to your figures (whatever the source may be) is producing a 133% ROI annually???
            Lol can u imagine that? lol They making profit but hey, lets drop it...

Comment

HBO boxing is a staple of the network programming. Not to mention the PPVs seems unlikely it will disappear. Unless Haymon buys HBO!

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
                It shouldn't be a shock to anyone if (or should I say when) HBO drops boxing from their network. They are making absolutely zero profits from their boxing shows. Especially now since Haymon's PBC is in full swing. The executives are probably debating right now when they should go through with the cancellation.

The thing is, HBO is a movie and TV show channel. They just aren't suited for sports. Look at their hit show, Game of Thrones. It's such a popular show and damn near everyone watches it. They make tons and tons of profit from it's popularity alone. But what about boxing? What do they get from that? Zero, squat, nada.

My only hope is that PBC opens its door to 3 guys in particular from HBO, them being Roy Jones, Hopkins and Max Kellerman. 3 superb commentators who don't deserve to lose their jobs because HBO can't seem to produce profits any longer. It's not their fault that HBO refuses to make good fights anymore.
                You are right. Not only HBO but other channels also have same interests of getting profit from anywhere they get. This is a part of today media. Just see HBO how they promote MMA because they are getting profit from different regions. So this profit is the all game at the end.

Comment

If $30M makes HBO less than $80 M with boxing and an original series that costs $15M per season can make $200 M, that's called opportunity cost.

Either a potential $400M or a dwindling $70M.... hmmmmmmm

Comment

HBO is not going anywhere. I'm getting tired of troll threads. No reason to wish for any network to stop broadcasting boxing.

If you're a boxing fan, you'll watch boxing from any network.

Comment

They'll probably pack it in within a few years.

Americans are rubbish at boxing nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                      X