Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone other fighter in boxing history (or present) have a reach like Liston's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone other fighter in boxing history (or present) have a reach like Liston's

For his height. Liston was 6 feet and half an inch tall, yet had a 84 inch reach!

Mayweather is 5 inches shorters, that is the equivalent of him having a 79 inch reach!!! Is there any other fighter who had such a long reach for their height?

Look at the above height, his hands are down to his knee!!

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
    For his height. Liston was 6 feet and half an inch tall, yet had a 84 inch reach!

Mayweather is 5 inches shorters, that is the equivalent of him having a 79 inch reach!!! Is there any other fighter who had such a long reach for their height?

Look at the above height, his hands are down to his knee!!
    well Hagler was 5'9 with a 75 reach

Comment

I think it was Primo Carnera, he had an 85 reach as well.

Lewis, 84.

Foreman 82.

Paul Williams 82 (too bad he doesn't use it)

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        well Hagler was 5'9 with a 75 reach

so am i
        both fighting out of Mass

to answer the OP:

almost all of your favorite boxers have a reach greater than their height. it allows you greater range while keeping you light (lighter than you would be with a taller body.) also, it's a generalization, but longer arms have a tendency to punch harder

it's like swinging a bigger stick. sure, you can hit just as hard with a smaller one, but you need to work harder to do it.
        longer arms get leverage.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          so am i

to answer the OP:

almost all of your favorite boxers have a reach greater than their height. it allows you greater range while keeping you light (lighter than you would be with a taller body.) also, it's a generalization, but longer arms have a tendency to punch harder

it's like swinging a bigger stick. sure, you can hit just as hard with a smaller one, but you need to work harder to do it.
          longer arms get leverage.
          I think long arms give you better straight shots. But A lot of it is based on other factors: velocity, Bone density, fist size, strength, explosiveness. and above all..technique.

Pacquiao has a 67 reach, slim upper body - but thick wrists and hands. He hits plenty hard.

Williams has an 82 reach and doesn't hit so hard.

one could have long arms but without the strength to launch them, and if they are flimsy weak arms maybe it's not as beneficial??

all just speculation.

Tyson had a 71 reach :/ everything he threw was hard.

Hearns was 6'1 with a 78 reach, skinny at 147, hit extremely hard p4p.

one thing though, I find naturally strong people, that aren't artificially built, Always seem to hit hard, even without perfect technique. I'm talking people that grew up on the worst diets yet somehow always looked shredded and muscular. They often are strong looking even at a young age.

I can think of 4 people off the top of my head: Foreman, Tyson, Edwin Valero, Duran. They were always strong kids, even with poor nutrition. When they developed into men they just got stronger.

Sorry side tracking...
          Last edited by them_apples; 02-27-2012, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
            I think long arms give you better straight shots. But A lot of it is based on other factors: velocity, Bone density, fist size, strength, explosiveness. and above all..technique.

Pacquiao has a 67 reach, slim upper body - but thick wrists and hands. He hits plenty hard.

Williams has an 82 reach and doesn't hit so hard.

one could have long arms but without the strength to launch them, and if they are flimsy weak arms maybe it's not as beneficial??

all just speculation.

Tyson had a 71 reach :/ everything he threw was hard.

Hearns was 6'1 with a 78 reach, skinny at 147, hit extremely hard p4p.

again, its a generalization, but the idea was that you'll find longer arms on bigger guys, and bigger guys punching harder than smaller ones. you dont need me telling you that, lol (and i hope you are feeling better,)

certainly not anomalous. bigger guys, bigger arms (longer, heavier bones, whichever, just naturally larger,) harder punches.

a generalization, but a factual one. generally you will find these things to be true, even if there are plenty of examples of guys who punch hard without long arms. those guys (tua, marciano, qawi, etc,) are exceptions to the generality

within a weight class it gets a bit fuzzy, but it's a trend that's easy to spot when you look at the athletes in the sport as a whole

the bigger arms are on the bigger men and the bigger men generally punch harder
            Last edited by New England; 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I know other fighters had an 84 inch reach, but i'm talking about WAY above the average size reach for their height, like Liston.

Were there any every 5'7/5'8 fighters with 79 inch reaches?

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
                I know other fighters had an 84 inch reach, but i'm talking about WAY above the average size reach for their height, like Liston.

Were there any every 5'7/5'8 fighters with 79 inch reaches?
                Hagler and new england fit that description!

Comment

I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but don't take reach measurements as gospel. There is nobody regulating the measurements and the fighter's promoter can use any number he wants.

Comment

Working...
                  X