No announcement yet.

Dempsey Vs Greb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BamBamLeutyooo View Post
    I don't see Greb hurting him. I mean I could actually see Dempsey doing a No Mas. He is one of my favourite fighters but Greb would be too much for him.
    What makes you think that Dempsey would quit ?.

Don't really have an opinion on this, lack of any Greb footage makes it impossible for me to make an analysis but if I had to I'd pick Dempsey to win.

Comment

Dempsey often looked bad in sparring

The Greb/Dempsey sparring incident was way overblown. Dempsey often looked bad in sparring. So did Ali and Marciano. No big deal. Greb came out smokin and Dempsey either wasn't ready, wasn't in shape, or just got caught by surprise. In a real fight, does anyone honestlyt think 160 lb Greb can stand in front of Dempsey for 15 or more rounds (the Willard fight was scheduled for 45 rounds).

Comment

Originally posted by barfly12 View Post
        The Greb/Dempsey sparring incident was way overblown. Dempsey often looked bad in sparring. So did Ali and Marciano. No big deal. Greb came out smokin and Dempsey either wasn't ready, wasn't in shape, or just got caught by surprise. In a real fight, does anyone honestlyt think 160 lb Greb can stand in front of Dempsey for 15 or more rounds (the Willard fight was scheduled for 45 rounds).
        A non-entity named Gary Bell used to pwn Evander Holyfield all the time in sparring. Anybody think Bell takes Evander when the it's for real? Cuz I sure as hell don't.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by BamBamLeutyooo View Post
          I don't see Greb hurting him. I mean I could actually see Dempsey doing a No Mas. He is one of my favourite fighters but Greb would be too much for him.
          For the record, Dempsey merks Greb.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by barfly12 View Post

Wasn't in shape? Overblown? Here's one article from the NY times. I have more of you need further proof. Either way Dempsey shouldn't be excused for not fighting Greb. Do you honestly think its ok for a fighter to duck one guy to fight men that said fighter has already dominated?

Sept 3, 1920

Big Battlers Work Out At Top Speed

Dempsey and Miske Give Sparring Partners Lots Of Action in Training Bouts

Benton Harbor, Mich., Sept.2- With only one more day of hard work remaining before Billy Miske and Jack Dempsey ease up in their training for the ten-round bout for the heavyweight championship of the world here on Monday afternoon, speed was the order of the day at both camps today. Champion and challenger alike cast aside all brakes and gave their sparring partners a merry whirl. Both boxers waded through six rounds of real action with the big ten-ounce "pillows", the training gloves.

(paragraph skipped)

-Greb Swaps Blows With Champion-

It was Harry Greb who again today gave Dempsey his stiffest workout. The Pittsburgher was in fine fettle after the excellent showing he made against the champion yesterday. He was full of pep. With the call of time signalizing the beginning of activities, Greb promptly rushed Dempsey. The onslaught was so sudden that Jack was caught off his guard and it took a solid left hook into the body, plied with all the force at Greb's command, which is considerable, to jolt Dempsey into action. Then the fur began to fly.

It was a whirlwind three rounds that these two fighters staged for the edification of the biggest crowd that has yet shoe-horned its way into the grandstand at the baseball park in front of which the ring is built. There were fully 2,000 people present, and they were treated to as much action in those three rounds as is usually crowded into eight of a real bout.

The bout caused the crowd to burst into cheers and prolonged applasuse. In fact, during the intermission between the second and third rounds Ted Hayes, who acts as announcer at the Dempsey camp, was compelled to request the spectators to refrain from urging either of the men to greater efforts.

Comment

I'll pick a great heavyweight over a great middleweight without giving it too much thought. I doubt that Greb ever faced anyone as offensively equipped as a near prime Dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                A non-entity named Gary Bell used to pwn Evander Holyfield all the time in sparring. Anybody think Bell takes Evander when the it's for real? Cuz I sure as hell don't.

Poet
                I don't lend much credence to sparring stories Ali could be dreadful in sparring. Do think that around 23/24 Greb might have had a window of opportunity though, similar to Spinks/Holmes. Dempsey was fading by then IMO so Greb would certainly have been a live body in there. Wills is often thrown up against Dempsey but personally I think he was made for Dempsey but a quicker fighter with good whiskers who sets a high pace and I think Dempsey has an uncomfortable night

Comment

If Dempsey was capable of pulling a No Mas he would have done it in the Tunney fight.

Personally over 15 rounds I see Dempsey stopping Greb.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    A non-entity named Gary Bell used to pwn Evander Holyfield all the time in sparring. Anybody think Bell takes Evander when the it's for real? Cuz I sure as hell don't. Poet
                    Ah Gary Bring The Pain Bell! Id heard he gave Evander Hell so i checked out his next fight vs Tua - over in about 30seconds! lol

Im goin with The HW, Greb was a mean mother by all accounts but this is no average Joe HW its Jack ****in Dempsey man The Manassa Mauler! I think he wins a barnburner

Sparring is sparring and nothing more as far im concerned

Comment

you do know greb fought heavyweights right? he wasnt just a middleweight look at the weight fluctuations of the fighters in his box rec.

if he has his good eye he takes it, greb is the GOAT imo

Comment

Working...
                      X