Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 AM
The Surgeon
Days Of Glory

Rep Power: 53 The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 153,771,381,220.52
Total Points: 266,756,248,944.20
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 
Arrow How much do u know about The Brown Bomber?

Lil Joe Louis quiz for u guys, Louis is my 2nd favourite fighter of All Time so i thought id ace it but i got a few wrong!

1: From Whom did Louis take the HW title form? Where and when did this fight take place?

2: How many times did Louis defend his title and exactly how long did he reign as champion?

3: Against whom did Louis make his first defence of the HW crown?

4: Only three men managed to go the full distance with Louis in world title bouts when he was champion. Name them

5: Boxing History was made on June 19, 1946 when Louis fought Billy Conn in New York. What was the historical event?

6: Who was it that addressed the following words to Joe Louis? "Joe when you risked your title and ur future against Buddy Baer in patriotisim you did something else - you laid a red rose on Abe Lincoln's grave" Why were these words spoken?

7: Which Presidential candidate did Joe back in 1940?

8: What was different about Louis' title defence against Bob Pastor in Detroit on September 20, 1939?

9: Who was the title contender who said "I'll moider that bum!" How did he get on when given the chance against Louis?

10: Which of Louis' title fights lasted the shortest distance?

11: Louis was on the canvas only 10 times his entire career. Can u name the men responsible?

12: Louis lost only two contests inside the distance. Who were the two men that stopped him?

13: On four occasions when Louis defended his world title the odds were quoted at 20-1 in his favour. Who were his opponents?

14: Can u name the referee that officiated at 12 of Louis's title fights?

15: Where and when was Joe Louis born?

16: Two hours before which fight did Joe get married?

17: Which one of Joe's fights drew the largest crowd? How many people?

18: Who was the first man to go the full distance with Louis?

19: In all how many pro fights did Joe Louis have?

20: Louis won only one fight on DQ. Who was his opponent?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Celtic_Warrior
Contender

Rep Power: 7 Celtic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Warrior has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 687.10
Total Points: 4,143.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surgeon View Post
Lil Joe Louis quiz for u guys, Louis is my 2nd favourite fighter of All Time so i thought id ace it but i got a few wrong!

1: From Whom did Louis take the HW title form? Where and when did this fight take place?

2: How many times did Louis defend his title and exactly how long did he reign as champion?

4: Only three men managed to go the full distance with Louis in world title bouts when he was champion. Name them

5: Boxing History was made on June 19, 1946 when Louis fought Billy Conn in New York. What was the historical event?

6: Who was it that addressed the following words to Joe Louis? "Joe when you risked your title and ur future against Buddy Baer in patriotisim you did something else - you laid a red rose on Abe Lincoln's grave" Why were these words spoken?

8: What was different about Louis' title defence against Bob Pastor in Detroit on September 20, 1939?

9: Who was the title contender who said "I'll moider that bum!" How did he get on when given the chance against Louis?

11: Louis was on the canvas only 10 times his entire career. Can u name the men responsible?

12: Louis lost only two contests inside the distance. Who were the two men that stopped him?

13: On four occasions when Louis defended his world title the odds were quoted at 20-1 in his favour. Who were his opponents?

Add another, which English football team did Joe once sign for?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 PM
JAB5239
Banned

Rep Power: 0 JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,946,911,790,948.20
Total Points: 19,946,911,869,825.65
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surgeon View Post

Braddock. Chicago. 1937

Quote:
25 times just over 11 years.

Quote:

Tommy Farr

Quote:
Farr, Walcott and Goday.

Quote:

First heavyweight title fight live on tv.

Quote:
???

Quote:

???

Quote:

First heavyweight title fight in Detroit?

Quote:
Tony Galento

Quote:

Max Schmeling

Quote:

Marciano, Walcott, Schmeling, Galento, Braddock and Buddy Baer.

Quote:
Schmeling and Marciano
Quote:

???

Quote:
Art Donovan?
Quote:
Alabama May 13, 1914
Quote:
???

Quote:
Mauriello??

Quote:

By full distance do you mean 15? If so Tommy Farr

Quote:
Quote:

Buddy Baer
Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Great John L
Contender

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,315.92
Top Poster! - Barnburner 

1. Wins Title From James Braddock in 1937 in Chicago
2. 25 Defenses over 11 Years, almost 12
3. First Defense against Tommy Farr
4. Tommy Farr, Jersey Joe Walcott, Arturo Godoy
5. First televised HW Title Fight with Ringside Tickets selling fo $100
6. I Don't Know
7. Wendell Willkie
8. Was first HW Title Fight fought in Detroit
9. Tony Galento
10. Max Schmeling
11. Schmeling 2x Walcott 3x Marciano 2x Buddy Baer, Jim Braddock, Galento
12. Max Schmeling in 1936, Rocky Marciano in 1951
13. I don't know
14. Arthur Donovan
15. Lafayette Alabama May 13th 1914
16. Max Baer
17. Max Baer 80,000
18. Bob Pastor
19. 68
20. Buddy baer I 1914
Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 PM
hhascup
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 11 hhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 139,116.17
1st Prize in quiz. Well done. - McGoorty Nice job - rorymac 
Send a message via AIM to hhascup

James J. Braddock, Comiskey Park, Chicago, on June 22, 1937

25 times, not counting the Johnny Davis fight. He held the title for 11 years, 8 months and 7 days

Tommy Farr

4: Only three men managed to go the full distance with Louis in world title bouts when he was champion. Name them?
Tommy Farr, Arturo Godoy & Jersey Joe Wacott

First televised Heavyweight Championship title bout

Because he gave his purse to the Navy Relief Society and I happen to have the Western Union Telegram they sent him and Mike Jacobs.

Wendell Willkie

It was scheduled for 20 rounds, as was the 1st Abe Simon fight and it was the 1st Heavyweight Championship bout in Detroit. Pastor was also the 1st College Graduate to fight for the Heavyweight Championship. Louis also dropped Pastor 4 times in the 1st round and once in the 2nd, and Pastor lasted until the 11th.

Tony Galento, he knocked Louis down in the 3rd round But Louis stopped him in round 4.

Max Schmeling 2:04 of the 1st round, unless you count the Davis fight.

Max Schmeling 2, James J. Braddock 1, Tony Galento 1, Buddy Baer 1, Jersey Joe Walcott 3, and Rocky Marciano 2.

Max Schmeling & Rocky Marciano

Harry Thomas, Al McCoy, Gus Dorazio & Tony Musto

Arthur Donovan

May 13, 1914 in LaFayette, Alabama

Max Baer

Max Baer 88,150

Jack Kranz before he was Champion and Tommy Farr after he became Champion.

Depending on what source, Boxrec has 70, and that is counting the Johnny Davis bout, and the Ring Record Book has 71. The Ring Record Book has Roscoe Toles, Willie Davis and Gene Stanton, where BoxRec donít. BoxRec has the Davis bout where the Ring Record Book doesnít.

Buddy Baer

Last edited by hhascup; 01-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Miburo
Double X

Rep Power: 291 Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 251,980,210,458,810.91
Total Points: 252,511,693,133,108.91
Here's a superman gift, for being brave enough to fukk squids - Erik13 I shall try my best to improve my reputation. - Robin Hood Here's for the 7k post! - led Happy 7k! :) - *Boss Lady* xmas gift, even though i'm almost 1000% sure you don't celebrate it.. - Ether 
Thank you ! - BulgariasFinest Happy 8k! :) - Bossy Here's one for the 8k party - led I found a way to fix &quot;it&quot;....pm me, ill be more than happy to help you - Mike Tyson77 I'm new here but congratulations on your 9000 post...cheers! - jose830 
For going 10,000 strong! - codey for your service. - codey 10000 - TBear Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy new year, Teng. - Terrel 
the first bottle is on me homie! - jose830 Happy 10.5k tard! - led* 
Autism - Pension-Killer Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - project xxx1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Point Giver Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

Not to really criticize, but these quizzes are a bit long man. You'd get more bites if you spread them out over several threads or just cut them down.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 PM
sleazyfellow
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 327 sleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 175,713,625.80
Total Points: 175,733,606.55

Looks like you read that new joe louis book, here's another question.

How many people died listening to joes fights over the radio(the cases attributed and documented of course)?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Barn
TheTartanSoldier

Rep Power: 47 Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 431,298,369,168,104.62
Total Points: 432,192,280,685,483.12
Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 Merry Crimbo! - The Surgeon To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A Your 4000th post and you quoted me, I'm honoured! Happy 4k :wave: - *Boss Lady* 4 the uploads! - chiguy91 
Congrats on 5K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 well deserved - the collector For the massive amount of points given - MindBat Merry X-mas Lad! Have a good un! - The Surgeon 
Happy New Year - Freedom. You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS 
Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one. - dan_cov Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 what up homie...just incase I want you to know I had nothing to do with that thread title change that's your thread bro - -jose- :love: - -jose- For the help buddy - Badzi87 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic_Warrior View Post
Add another, which English football team did Joe once sign for?
Liverpool.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 PM
hhascup
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 11 hhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 139,116.17
1st Prize in quiz. Well done. - McGoorty Nice job - rorymac 
Send a message via AIM to hhascup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazyfellow View Post
Looks like you read that new joe louis book, here's another question.

How many people died listening to joes fights over the radio(the cases attributed and documented of course)?
If your just talking about the 1st Louis/Schmeling fight, the answer is 12. Another source claimed that 9 colored men died of heart attacks brought on by the radio account of the battle.

Last edited by hhascup; 01-05-2011 at 09:52 PM.