Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 AM
GrandpaBernard
motherfuc

Rep Power: 0 GrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 54,125,004.40
For the insight! - Lazerjab Happy new years bro! - Lazerjab 
Default The History and Science Behind the Boxing Stance

Can anyone give me background behind why the Fathers of Boxing decided that the dominant hand should be in the back and the weaker hand at front?

I'm a left hander, and it feels retarded to try fighting from the orthodox stance.

What are the benefits of being in the "wrong" stance that would make people stay that way?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 AM
BigStereotype
#1 Knicks Fan

Rep Power: 54 BigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 238,802,060,866.43
Total Points: 440,802,265,365.74
Very Good poster. - Barnburner Keep up the good posts. - Barnburner BURRRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid 100% solid - The Surgeon another useless dothraki clown, here savage - Ether 
Heres a Fish! - The Surgeon :) - MANIAC310 Merry Christmas - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon No problem bro, thanks.. Knicks will be fine. - Fresno 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

I can only guess that it's because you can get more leverage into your rear hand, thereby maximizing your most effective shots. Then, when God created the left hook, **** really got going.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 29 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 11,963,817,939.69
Total Points: 21,963,906,091.72
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
Can anyone give me background behind why the Fathers of Boxing decided that the dominant hand should be in the back and the weaker hand at front?

I'm a left hander, and it feels retarded to try fighting from the orthodox stance.

What are the benefits of being in the "wrong" stance that would make people stay that way?
its a smaller lighter hand that you dont use as much through out the day so naturaly its going to be faster and have more stamina.

also you want your stronger hand to be your main blocking hand so you have a studier block.

and theres that you get more leverage in your rear hand.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Holtol
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 Holtol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,486,611.29
Total Points: 3,090,677.78
Good Poster. - Barnburner Cheers! - poet682006 

Thats an interesting question. I am right handed but after awile my jab was better with my left hand then my right. And I practiced both ways. Bare knuckle boxing may have something to do with why orthodox boxing became more standared. Not being able to keep a guard up with boxing gloves they may have prefered to deflect punches with the left hand and have their good hand ready to punch but that could be wrong. I don't know much about how they fought back in the bare knuckle days.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:52 AM
BG_Knocc_Out
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 12 BG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,594,287.73
Send a message via AIM to BG_Knocc_Out

I think people would be too one-handed if they were to box. 99% of boxers are more busy with their lead hand, and when they started boxing, their stronger hand was most likely the hand they'd hold back. Putting your weaker hand in front kind of trains it and makes you feel a bit more comfortable with it. I'm a right hander, but I have transformed to where my left hand is stronger and more comfortable. It's seriously the most frustrating thing to get a beginner to do.