Boxing Forum
  Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge
Register Blogs Chat Arcade Groups Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 AM
JakeNDaBox
The Jake of All Trades

Rep Power: 200000 JakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 42,445,305,413.42
Total Points: 42,651,945,942.65
Send a message via AIM to JakeNDaBox Send a message via Yahoo to JakeNDaBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by savorduhflavor View Post
And more importantly.....there's a difference between liking a show and being able to acknowledge the quality of a show.

Me...not a huge Sopranos fan. Just never loved it like everyone else. But I can watch it and appreciate the quality. It's a well done show, I just never really got into it. But I never went on some tangent saying anyone that likes it is some wanna be poser yuppie just liking anything HBO puts out.
Good example and I'm the same way - was never a huge Sopranos fan although they had (at least) a couple of brilliant seasons.

One thing about the Sopranos, though - I don't like it as much upon rewatch. Once seems to be enough for me. Whereas The Wire, I can watch over and over and over, and appreciate it even more, especially the eps I wasn't completely crazy about. I can honestly say that whatever people would regard as the worst Wire episode ever is still better written than 95% of what any other series can call their best episode.

I've met a lot of people who never watched The Wire, and even far too many who never even heard of it. But very seldom do you hear of anyone who watched and didn't like it. At the very least, they respect the writing, the depth and the realism, even if deciding it's not for them.

As far as Boardwalk Empire... I have to admit it took me a couple of viewings before appreciating the first episode. I'm a lifelong Scorsese junkie and also a big Steve Buscemi (in fact my favorite season of Sopranos was when he was on, along with all of the other gangsters released from prison), so I had very high expectations going in. Didn't grab me right away, but I loved the second ep and rewatched the premiere soon thereafter, which made it easier to take in.

Last night's ep was alright, but not great and was certainly way too short. I could be mistaken, but seemed like there was close to 10 minutes left on the clock by the time the credits began to roll.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Dan...
Fredette About It

Rep Power: 35 Dan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond reputeDan... has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,259,639,550.99
Total Points: 3,269,761,874.11
Round on me - boxing2005 Fuck a beer have some Don P with me for B-Hop, i aint drinkin by myself!!! - bearman3000 3K Posts! - T-97 Thanks bro - T-97 great poster!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Melly-Mel 
cheers to a great poster - Melly-Mel No Message - mt102879 It doesn't help that they are led by Flawless - arguably the most annoying man on the planet. - Left Hook Tua Thanks man. - Silencers To good debates in 09! - KrisSilver 
lol merry new year , sir. - Left Hook Tua Dr.Joshua: Mix this soda with rum, take a motrin, and call me in the morning. - J. HITTER 6000 posts, congrats! - JAB5239 Give these sour grapes to Ponting next time you see him - The Monk Cool cat, good poster - mangler 
Have a cold glass of Fosters - Kevin Jesus You deserve a kick for your red K to Gully - Carnivore Happy Birthday for tomorrow mate. - Philfy These are great! - jazluvr449 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ABOSWORTH 

Eastbound and Down is a very good show.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
JakeNDaBox
The Jake of All Trades

Rep Power: 200000 JakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond reputeJakeNDaBox has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 42,445,305,413.42
Total Points: 42,651,945,942.65
Send a message via AIM to JakeNDaBox Send a message via Yahoo to JakeNDaBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan... View Post
Eastbound and Down is a very good show.
I just began playing catchup with that show. HBO's boxing schedule was thin enough in the past few years to where I canceled subscription moments after the series finale of The Wire a couple of years ago. I only ordered for whatever fights I wanted to watch/had to cover for the site, and would unsubscribe as soon as I hit "send" to publish.

Anyway, just recenty kept HBO in the regular rotation and accidentally caught a few minutes of EB&D. Decided to watch from the beginning via OnDemand and love it so far, though I'm only halfway through S1.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Walt Liquor
the opposite of pure

Rep Power: 96 Walt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,519,174,279,467.96
Total Points: 14,001,674,614,906.84
Take it to the head Bruhnlaw. - Chief2ndzOnly! looks like a long day for a saints fan... - -veteran420- Chunk Cake - Chunk have a beer on me bro! - led some malt liqour for Walt Liqour - sweetpea87 
Cheers for baby boy! - led One more for the boy! - led Congratulations on a baby boy :) - *Boss Lady* Congrats. - Libido Sanchez Feliz Navidad - El Mustang 
Happy Holidays Walter! :) - Lorily Happy New Year - Freedom. For being a Irish racist - Cuauhtémoc1502 I like your avatar - zab191 I like your avatar - zab191 
Merry Christmas Walt. I hope you and your family have a great one. - deanrw the link on your sig made me pull over on the NJ Turnpike :D - jose830 happy new year walt. - HUGH JASS you killed it! in the 90's hip hop thread :boxing: - jose830 congrats on your daughters first gig walt,you must be very proud. - HUGH JASS 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - BoxingPromoter Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ƒallenloki Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Scientist 
Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - The Scientist Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Flab Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Flab Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Flab Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - -veteran420- 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -veteran420- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - LeeVanCleef Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jazluvr 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - D.I.E.S.E.L World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MANIAC310 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Unknown Champ Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Unknown Champ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSECT View Post
The best show they've ever done is Big Love, everything else has been overrated trash that yuppies and wannabe yuppies watch to try to be cool.

To be fair, I never watched the Soprano's so I wont pass judgment on that. Curb was on the path to ATG until they reached season 4 at which point it became a cliche of itself.
I want that sig. Send it to me.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:28 AM
S.G.
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 27 S.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond reputeS.G. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 549,359.92
Good guy, good poster. - S a m u r a i My brother S.G., time for another gift. - S a m u r a i Underrated poster - ASH KETCHUM You have the Musical Ear - Stone Roses! 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Kevin Jesus Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - JM1 Head and Neck Cancer - -Ash- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ABOSWORTH 

I'm enjoying it so far, haven't seen ep. 3 yet though. I don't think it's quite an Oz or The Wire or Sopranos but it has a tonne of potential. The subject is so fascinating that it'll be difficult for it not to be great - I especially can't wait until Capone and Luciano really start making moves. Stephen Graham for Capone was great casting too; glad he's finally starting to receive the recognition he deserves.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Libido Sanchez
American Me

Rep Power: 16 Libido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond reputeLibido Sanchez has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 121,061,284,520.72
Total Points: 132,128,810,349.17
freddie was mexican...that had me rolling LOL - Makavelli finally allowin me to buy beer - Makavelli laker parade was dope - Makavelli 4 beers = 4 titles this decade - Makavelli Merry Christmas! - .::EyEKoNiK::. 
Be Joyful - Gift Giver For your libido - The Scientist Another, just for the lulz - The Scientist First chapter says approach them smoothly, handing them a rose is just what's needed. - SkillspayBills Second chapter says get them drunk and take them home. Why is this book only two chapters!?!?!? - SkillspayBills 
Hail to the Cameltoe Champ! - sigrab sip this wine - MANGLER You're a real man :D - -Jack- For the generous donation homie. - Big Smoke 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANGLER Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr 

I think the show is great. But the one criticism I have heard a lot is that it's "slow." Not sure if that has anything to do with the series being a period piece about 1930s prohibition. Some people might not be into the setting maybe and prefer shows that take place in modern times/now.

While I don't think the show is groundbreaking (doesn't have to be), the first two episodes I thought were really well made. The way they introduced your man Al and Nucky trying to help his man out by telling the girl he was gonna be a judge in a beauty pageant are small moments that I enjoyed a lot. The acting is pretty good too.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Iceta Lives
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Iceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond reputeIceta Lives has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,818,059.64
nsb legend - Dick Buffman the goat - Dick Buffman Simply the best - Check nsb legend - INSECT Drive by gifting, don't mind me :wave: - *Boss Lady* 
Drive by gifting, don't mind me :wave: - *Boss Lady* 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Gift Giver Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Hope Pope 

I watched the second and third episodes of Boardwalk Empire while being here on BoxingScene and I guess I made a big mistake by missing the first episode. Trying to give the show time to heat up. I'm sure I'll get into I suppose.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Ragnar Lothbrok
Chieftain

Rep Power: 27 Ragnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond reputeRagnar Lothbrok has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,444,806,136.02
Total Points: 3,445,256,703.08
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier beer is good - -pound4pound- beer for you flomo killer - -pound4pound- For hurting their feelings over and over.  Great work. - Johnny Chingas Medal for flomo-killer lol - led 
Whoreville Appreciation Award - Jack Napier Awesome name and avatar, cheers!! - Major Motoko Biggest retard destoryer on NSB, so many fl0m0s have been slayed by the hands of C E L L - Hidden Floyd Stans need to steer clear from C E L L because he will dismantle you - Hidden thunderdome beast - jas 
For speaking your mind and for being the first person to mention me in the Thunderdome. Congrats. Here is a cold one for ya. - BrushMyHair LOL Thunderdome master - Bardock for this quote: "GGG needs cotto more than Canelo needs Cotto." I agree 100% with this quote. - BrushMyHair 

you got to give this show a chance. there's only been 3 episodes. the 1st one was great but the 2nd & 3rd ones have been slow.