|03-03-2010, 02:45 PM||#1|
[ESPN] Updated Live Blog on Mayweather vs Mosley Press Conference in D.C.
- Big crowd in attendance here at D.C.'s historic Lincoln Theater. Could be a packed house in anticipation of another shoving match.
- Paul Williams is in the house, looking forward to a May 8 fight at 154 pounds, probably against Kermit Cintron, possibly in Atlantic City or maybe even here in D.C.
We've been told to expect a crowd of 900 here today, which would make for a pretty packed and boisterous press conference. The line was around the block when I arrived and barged my way to the front.
- 3 Million buys?
- The fighters will come out shortly, and Mark Taffet assures me it will be quite the dramatic entrance. Right now, the scene is a packed theater, with music pumping and a series of video vignettes on the screen, amid fans giving their opinions about who will win and why.
Which is the theme of the fight: "Who R U Picking?" So … who are you picking? E-mail me and let me know your thoughts.
- And away we go …
The press conference is finally under way. Despite being the champion, Shane Mosley entered first from the back of the house (looking dapper in a pinstriped suit) and stood at one side of the stage to await "Money May."
Both fighters' entrances were preceded by highlight videos, and Mayweather's especially was outstanding. It also probably featured the word 'money' at least 100 times. Mayweather showed up in a blue tracksuit top, then the curtains parted to reveal the podium. Not surprisingly, Floyd and Shane jawed at each other for a good couple of minutes, a la Tuesday's event in New York.
There is an incredible atmosphere here in the Lincoln Theater. The crowd is buzzing. It's like the fight has already begun.
Last edited by DE100; 03-03-2010 at 02:48 PM.
|03-03-2010, 02:46 PM||#2|
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. adviser Leonard Ellerbe: "Shane's gonna get what he's been asking for. The same way his boss [Oscar De La Hoya] got it."
Bob Halloran of MGM pointed out to my buddy Dan Rafael in the crowd. "The best boxing writer in America," he said. Some of the crowd booed. "Why did I get booed?" Dan asked me. "Must have been Mayweather fans," he joked.
- Oscar De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Shane Mosley: "I fought both guys. I lost to both guys. I already know what's gonna happen: There's going to be a KO."
Mosley trainer Nazim Richardson: "You have champions, you have guys who are elite, you have guys who are special. There are very few guys who are special. You're looking at two of them. I don't care who you support. Just be sure you go to pay-per-view and buy the fight."
Mosley: "This fight finally came to pass. I'm happy. I'm happy for Floyd accepting the fight. He was forced to accept this fight. He's one of the best. Come May 1, it's gonna be May's first [loss]."
The crowd is really into this, by the way. This is great.
Floyd Mayweather Jr.: "I got here by hard work and dedication. No HGH or steroids. I gotta fight the media, I gotta fight the writers. The proof is in the pudding. [Mosley] beat Oscar De La Hoya twice, now he's working for him. On May 1, he's fighting the best. One thing I do know, I know how to win. Before anybody in this room judges me, look into the mirror and judge yourself."
|03-03-2010, 02:59 PM||#4|
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Land of the free, home of the brave
Quoted: 0 Post(s)Rep Power: 0
Total Points: 12,949,581.97
|03-03-2010, 03:05 PM||#5|
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quoted: 2691 Post(s)Rep Power: 199
Total Points: 40,050,837,387,934,793,728.00
Bob Halloran of MGM pointed out to my buddy Dan Rafael in the crowd. "The best boxing writer in America," he said. Some of the crowd booed. "Why did I get booed?" Dan asked me. "Must have been Mayweather fans," he joked
|03-03-2010, 03:07 PM||#8|
Pacman - The GOAT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Columbus, O-H-I-O
Quoted: 0 Post(s)Rep Power: 18
Total Points: 27,159,890,856.14
|Share This With Friends|
|blog, conference, d.c., mayweather, mosley, press, updated, [espn]|