Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 AM
sonnyboyx2
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 84,793,270.98
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
Was Larry Holmes made bitter by the lack of respect he got or would he have always been outspoken and and bitter regardless?

I get the feeling Larry would of loved to have been embraced and that he wouldn't of been as outspoken as he was if he had gotten his props that he deserved from the get go.

I think it made him bitter but by the same token i guess you could say it also drove him onto be great.

What do you think?
interesting topic... i read Holmes Autobiography "Against The Odds" around 10yrs or so ago and i feel he has been bitter all his career, he is bitter because Howard Cosell labelled him as a weak-chinned fighter who would not make it to the top, he calls Cosell everything in his book... IMO Holmes has always been bitter but alot of what he says is the truth, yet i cannot go along with his claim that he is the best ever, he is fringe ATG Top 12
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 AM
EzzardFan
Banned

Rep Power: 0 EzzardFan has a spectacular aura aboutEzzardFan has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 14,744.70

I think he made the best of the era he operated in. I totally respect him for the sheer volume of title defences.

The boxers Larry fought were not in the same league as the guys that were around in the 70s IMO. That's not to say that Larry wouldn't have been equally effective a decade earlier, he probably would have been.

I also found Larry boring to watch. He's not my type of fighter. I like watching swarmers and also exciting technical boxers. I don't dispute that Homes was technical but he was far from exciting. He preferred to stay on the outside of his jab.

His personality also came across as very abrasive when he was younger. True that also improved with age.

I don't take issue with him beating Ali. We all know that Larry didn't want that fight. I do however take issue with his decision over Ken Norton. IMO Norton deserved to win that fight.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 AM
sonnyboyx2
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 84,793,270.98
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzardFan View Post
I think he made the best of the era he operated in. I totally respect him for the sheer volume of title defences.

The boxers Larry fought were not in the same league as the guys that were around in the 70s IMO. That's not to say that Larry wouldn't have been equally effective a decade earlier, he probably would have been.

I also found Larry boring to watch. He's not my type of fighter. I like watching swarmers and also exciting technical boxers. I don't dispute that Homes was technical but he was far from exciting. He preferred to stay on the outside of his jab.

His personality also came across as very abrasive when he was younger. True that also improved with age.

I don't take issue with him beating Ali. We all know that Larry didn't want that fight. I do however take issue with his decision over Ken Norton. IMO Norton deserved to win that fight.
i agree with all you say and IMO Norton won that fight
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Dynamite Kid
Slicker than your average

Rep Power: 57 Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,746,529,353.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:

I have a lot of respect for Larry Holmes and i like his personality, yes he is a bit bitter but i think he was a really down to earth guy, thats the impression i got anyway.

I agree he was not particularly exciting though, infact he was pretty boring at times. Homles did have some good fights that i would watch over and over again though........Norton,Shavers 2,Weaver 2,Williams and a few others but yeah he was a bit boring overall imo.

Hey sonnyboyx2 did he say something derogatory about Butterbean in his book? the reason i ask is because i was watching an interview with him where they asked him why he did not get on with Butterbean and referred to something Larry had said about him in a book.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
EzzardFan
Banned

Rep Power: 0 EzzardFan has a spectacular aura aboutEzzardFan has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 14,744.70

One thing I'll say abut Holmes... everyone says how great his jab was, and I don't dispute that although I think Liston's was better... but his uppercut - WOW! He was the master of that punch, at least among his fellow heavyweights.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 162,386,043,102.02
Total Points: 163,386,289,254.88
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Quote:
One thing I'll say abut Holmes... everyone says how great his jab was, and I don't dispute that although I think Liston's was better... but his uppercut - WOW! He was the master of that punch, at least among his fellow heavyweights.
Agreed. Holmes's uppercut turned the tide in many of his fights. The jab was brilliant but jabs didn't KO his opponents, outside of Ossie Ocasio of course...

The uppercut played a major part in most of his stoppages.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 162,386,043,102.02
Total Points: 163,386,289,254.88
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Old 01-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Dynamite Kid
Slicker than your average

Rep Power: 57 Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,746,529,353.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Agreed. Holmes's uppercut turned the tide in many of his fights. The jab was brilliant but jabs didn't KO his opponents, outside of Ossie Ocasio of course...

The uppercut played a major part in most of his stoppages.
Yep turn the Weaver fight on its head.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,060,246.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Think Holmes just had that kind of make up.
He had a tough act to follow after Ali but so did Ezzard Charles after Louis.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Bigdaddy_Vh
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 12 Bigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond reputeBigdaddy_Vh has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 31,399.84
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Bigdaddy_Vh 
Send a message via AIM to Bigdaddy_Vh

i think Holmes was bitter at times and came across to many as an ******* but, as many have said here, Larry was real and you cannot take that from him. It wasnt showboating or trying to get attention, imo. It was him being who he was.