Boxing Forum
  Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge
Register Blogs Chat Arcade Groups Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Prostitroop
User Friendly

Rep Power: 28 Prostitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 241,851,049.26
Total Points: 242,277,518.05
Have a cookie. - ABOSWORTH Bag of Fun Threads R Classic. - Libido Sanchez 
Default Men more evolved? Y chromosome study suggests yes!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100113/...i_evolving_men

Quote:
WASHINGTON – Women may think of men as primitive, but new research indicates that the Y chromosome — the thing that makes a man male — is evolving far faster than the rest of the human genetic code.

A new study comparing the Y chromosomes from humans and chimpanzees, our nearest living relatives, show that they are about 30 percent different. That is far greater than the 2 percent difference between the rest of the human genetic code and that of the chimp's, according to a study appearing online Wednesday in the journal Nature.

These changes occurred in the last 6 million years or so, relatively recently when it comes to evolution.

"The Y chromosome appears to be the most rapidly evolving of the human chromosomes," said study co-author Dr. David Page, director of the prestigious Whitehead Institute in Cambridge and a professor of biology at MIT. "It's an almost ongoing churning of gene reconstruction. It's like a house that's constantly being rebuilt."

Before men get too impressed with themselves, lead author Jennifer Hughes offers some words of caution: Just because the Y chromosome, which determines gender, is evolving at a speedy rate it doesn't necessarily mean men themselves are more evolved.

Researchers took the most detailed examination of the Y chromosome, which females do not have, of both humans and chimps and found entire sections dramatically different. There were even entire genes on the human Y chromosome that weren't on the chimp, said Hughes, also of the Whitehead Institute.

The two-year research took twice as long as expected because of the evolutionary changes found, Hughes said.

There is a bit of a proviso to the comparison to other chromosomes. While all human and chimp chromosomes have been mapped, only two chimp chromosomes have been examined in great detail: Y and chromosome 21. Yet, there's still enough known to make the claim that the Y is the speediest evolver, Hughes and Page said.

Until recently the Y chromosome was considered the Rodney Dangerfield of genetics, especially because it had fewer genes than other chromosomes. A few years ago some researchers even suggested that the Y chromosome was shrinking so that in 50,000 years it would just disappear — and so would men.

"The story is not as cut and dried as many would have liked to predict," Hughes said. "It's kind of fun to say that men are going to die out, but the science is proving — now that we've got data — that that's not true at all."

Page agreed. "The Y chromosome has many more tricks up its sleeve than it was given credit for," he said.

There are a couple of reasons Page and Hughes cite for Y being such an evolutionary powerhouse. One is that it stands alone and isn't part of a pair like 44 other chromosomes. So when there are mutations there's no matching chromosome to recombine and essentially cover up the change, Hughes said. Because women have two X chromosomes, the X chromosome doesn't have this situation.

Another reason has to do with the nature of mating. When female chimps are in heat, they mate frequently and with many partners, so there is an evolutionary pressure on the male to produce the most and best sperm to propagate his genes, Page said.

To test this out, Hughes said she hopes to soon examine the Y chromosomes of a rhesus macaque, which is fairly promiscuous, and the marmoset, which is more monogamous than early humans probably were.

Outside scientists praised the study.

"Wow," said R. Scott Hawley, a genetics researcher at the Stowers Institute in Kansas City. "That result is astounding."

"The Y chromosome clearly has the strength and tenacity to fight back," said Hawley, who wasn't part of the research. "I certainly think the Y chromosome has taken a bad rap for a long time with people doing maps showing areas for channel surfing."
Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
squealpiggy
Stritctly UG's friend

Rep Power: 211 squealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.83
Total Points: 2,140,326,010,342.38
Good poster and a good guy, from Gmitchell - GMitchell f.aggot - Mizzou Super Piggy. - ABOSWORTH Good shit - mangler jr use it when you are too old to get a man - Carnivore 
The Demon-Haunted World - TheJoker take a break!!, lest you break! - Geze squealpiggy is in love with a f@ggot, lol, nyahahaha squealpiggy told me this, lol, nyahahahaha - Tha_Greatest you obliverated zizou homie, good win in your thunderdome resume, lol, nyahahahahaha - Tha_Greatest Eve says have a bite, its delicious.......... - bearman3000 
ATG Poster - Rich Loc Jr. Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab zombies are not the threat, it's people, well done - Mike Tyson77 Happy holidays bro! - led* 
sometimes I agree with you sometimes I don't but nevertheless I enjoy reading all your post! :fing02: - jose830 Very informative. - Barnburner you're a queer - Weltschmerz One of the worst posters - Weltschmerz Funny poster, deserves a medal - jas 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZО Autism - Nemisis Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Mangler Jewnior Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - ƒallenloki Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ƒallenloki World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

That's an interesting study, thought I would take umbrage at the phrase "more evolved" as it's fairly misleading even if it is technically accurate.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Prostitroop
User Friendly

Rep Power: 28 Prostitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond reputeProstitroop has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 241,851,049.26
Total Points: 242,277,518.05
Have a cookie. - ABOSWORTH Bag of Fun Threads R Classic. - Libido Sanchez 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squealpiggy View Post
That's an interesting study, thought I would take umbrage at the phrase "more evolved" as it's fairly misleading even if it is technically accurate.
A girl just told me that men are just catching up to women, that's all
Old 01-13-2010, 04:16 PM
PECKERWOOD
Banned

Rep Power: 0 PECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond reputePECKERWOOD has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 201,673.27
Total Points: 236,843.08

Humans interest me.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM
TheJoker
Emperor Joker

Rep Power: 11 TheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond reputeTheJoker has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,088,063.83
Total Points: 1,140,264.68

I've read a few papers on the subject of X and Y chromosome recently.

The problem with calling Y "more evolved" is the connotation that this means it's gaining information. The human Y chromosome is actually losing genes at an alarming rate. The common belief is the demise of the Y chromosome completely at some point.

X and Y chromosomes are thought to have swapped genetic information around 130-80 million years ago in eutherian mammals (IE, non-egg laying and non-marsupial). They were both roughly 1,100 genes while the current Y chromosome is only about 200 genes. There has been a lot of information lost.

Since the size of the Y chromosome is so small it is inherited mostly from the father's side during reproduction (Think of it this way, the woman has XX and man XY, there is 3 times more information available in the X chromosome than the Y making deletions easier). Since there is no recombination deleterious mutations aren't selected against so the Y chromosome changes much more rapidly than the X chromosome, and it's a snowball effect.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 PM
BrooklynBomber
Bi-furious.

Rep Power: 602 BrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklynBomber has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 193,125,803,856.77
Total Points: 194,171,048,379.62
a toast to all the excitement bernard hopkins has gifted the world...... - Left Hook Tua The meaning of life, Brook. Thats what is in this box. Who can beat that gift? Thats what I thought... - K-Nan 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Mr._Pink 

So, does that mean I will be able to release the laser beams out of my eyes any time soon?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
-MAKAVELLI-
Banned

Rep Power: 0 -MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 280,987,035,490,958,144.00
Total Points: 281,587,148,574,959,296.00
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang merry xmas - Ether Happy Holidays Makie!  :kiss: - Lorily Christmas Beer! Cheers you crazy bastard. - ThePhantom5 42k post medal! - Flabulous 
For good luck - jazluvr I heard you're big, but don't worry Tua is bigger - Uns Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy New Year, bro. - Libido Sanchez Happy Holidays MAKAVELLI - !! AI-Holmes!! 
have a Happy and safe New Years bro! - jose830 Happy New Year - Freedom. Tagay para sa new year! - led* Happy Holidays, bud! - jazluvr Funniest poster on site, here's a burger - jas 
Old School Thread - -jose- From your pal, BeerBro - Beercules damn son! you one handsome fellow! and with all do respect...Wow!!! that girl you with is Bad!!! definitely wifey material. - -jose- Sorry for the my in the moment RED K, here is a medal. - BrushMyHair that shit was funny bro :lol1: I literally cracked up - -jose- 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - S a m u r a i Head and Neck Cancer - S a m u r a i Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - S a m u r a i Childhood Cancer - ??? Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jim Jeffries 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - deanrw Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Pretty Boy32 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - dans01234 Head and Neck Cancer - PensionKiller 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Akinapepemo Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Akinapepemo Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MARKBNLV Childhood Cancer - LeeVanCleef 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 

and we have bigger brains too
Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
-MAKAVELLI-
Banned

Rep Power: 0 -MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 280,987,035,490,958,144.00
Total Points: 281,587,148,574,959,296.00
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang merry xmas - Ether Happy Holidays Makie!  :kiss: - Lorily Christmas Beer! Cheers you crazy bastard. - ThePhantom5 42k post medal! - Flabulous 
For good luck - jazluvr I heard you're big, but don't worry Tua is bigger - Uns Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy New Year, bro. - Libido Sanchez Happy Holidays MAKAVELLI - !! AI-Holmes!! 
have a Happy and safe New Years bro! - jose830 Happy New Year - Freedom. Tagay para sa new year! - led* Happy Holidays, bud! - jazluvr Funniest poster on site, here's a burger - jas 
Old School Thread - -jose- From your pal, BeerBro - Beercules damn son! you one handsome fellow! and with all do respect...Wow!!! that girl you with is Bad!!! definitely wifey material. - -jose- Sorry for the my in the moment RED K, here is a medal. - BrushMyHair that shit was funny bro :lol1: I literally cracked up - -jose- 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - S a m u r a i Head and Neck Cancer - S a m u r a i Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - S a m u r a i Childhood Cancer - ??? Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jim Jeffries 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - deanrw Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Pretty Boy32 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - dans01234 Head and Neck Cancer - PensionKiller 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Akinapepemo Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Akinapepemo Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MARKBNLV Childhood Cancer - LeeVanCleef 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 

i miss that poster that said that women evolved from potatoes
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Verstyle
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Verstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 53,967,362,674,721.97
Total Points: 53,967,362,986,094.81
Congrats on 38K posts Vers mah homie!!!!!!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! to the big homie - Larryx2011 great lounge poster - RINGG interesting/good threads man. - chiguy91 for an atg poster - jazluvr 
For all your kindness and support - Lorily :lol1: that shyt ain't right and awkward thread - jose830 No Message - MELLY-MEL... Thanks bro - BulgariasFinest Welcome back bud - TBear 
Happy Holidays Verstyle.. - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - TBear No Message - TBear No Message - TBear 40,000 posts! :fing02: - jose830 
4 d 40k - led* 40k son - MELLY-MEL... have a great time at the fight tomorrow night! - HUGH JASS Froid Mayweather d1ck rider - Warrios another floyd cock 4 u - Risen 

I wouldn't tell a woman that in a argument, you better call the cops cause she's going to pounce on you.