Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM
cotto16
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 cotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,825.20
Total Points: 1,407,609.75
Default Any one know why Carlos Monzon never tested the water at Lightheavy?

He was big enougth and had the skill and chin to trouble any lightheavy.Imagine Foster vs Monzon, Monzon punched hard like a heavyweight so for me he could of beat foster
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Kid McCoy
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Kid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 30,040,306.01
You know boxers, Kid!  Good writing style also! - Terry A To one of the wisest and most knowledgable posters on this site. - JAB5239 for your excellent contributions here - Scott9945 To another one of the very best members here - Terry A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotto16 View Post
He was big enougth and had the skill and chin to trouble any lightheavy.Imagine Foster vs Monzon, Monzon punched hard like a heavyweight so for me he could of beat foster
Probably the same reason Marvin Hagler never moved up to face Michael Spinks. Even Ray Robinson only fought at 175 once, he fought well but lost and never ventured that high again.

As good as Monzon was, I wouldn't give him much chance of beating Bob Foster, who had torn through every light-heavy contender they could muster and was also competitive with top heavies of his era. Imo moving up to face dominant, powerful big guys like Spinks and Foster would be a near-certain loss for virtually any middleweight.

Had the 175 champ in their day been a Donny Lalonde type fighter, maybe they would have gone for it. But both were comfortable dominating their own division, so the prospect of facing an all-time great light-heavy and a likely heavy defeat is probably why they didn't bother. Had Jones, Hopkins and Calzaghe been faced with that prospect, I suspect they would have stayed in their own divisions too.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 PM
ferocity
NOV. 3, NEW CHAMPION

Rep Power: 2914 ferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,111,198.63
Total Points: 6,329,953.48
Cheers to Margarito! - Tunney ˇArriba Margarito! - Puas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid McCoy View Post
Probably the same reason Marvin Hagler never moved up to face Michael Spinks. Even Ray Robinson only fought at 175 once, he fought well but lost and never ventured that high again.

As good as Monzon was, I wouldn't give him much chance of beating Bob Foster, who had torn through every light-heavy contender they could muster and was also competitive with top heavies of his era. Imo moving up to face dominant, powerful big guys like Spinks and Foster would be a near-certain loss for virtually any middleweight.

Had the 175 champ in their day been a Donny Lalonde type fighter, maybe they would have gone for it. But both were comfortable dominating their own division, so the prospect of facing an all-time great light-heavy and a likely heavy defeat is probably why they didn't bother. Had Jones, Hopkins and Calzaghe been faced with that prospect, I suspect they would have stayed in their own divisions too.
The book i'am reading says how Robinson meet with Moore to make a fight at 175 but Moore felt he should be getting paid more then what Robinson was offering so it never went about.

And Robinson i know what trying to get a fight with Floyd Patterson but don't know what happened on that one.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Terry A
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 Terry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,400,067,561.47
Start you off mate your first gift.. - The Gully Gad To one of boxingscenes best - JAB5239 Thanks for the boxing mags! - hunkysoupbone get well soon - NewYork For Quality posting and for being such a genuine dude! - The Surgeon 
Missed having you around, Have a beer pal - McGoorty A true historian. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid McCoy View Post

Kid,
I agree with you 100% about Monzon vs Foster. Foster was used to KOing and getting hit by lightheavyweights and even heavyweights. Monzon never tested those waters.

Remember when Jose Naples ventured up 13 lbs to fight Monzon? I see the exact same thing happening if Carlos went up 15 to face Foster.

As for hitting power, I think Hearns at 160 hit harder than Monzon did at 160.
Carlos had good power, but he was no Gerald McClelland or Julian Jackson. Or Bob Foster....

Cotto16, I often wondered how King Carlos would have done if he went up in weight as well. He was friends and stablemates with Victor Galindez. I'm sure they sparred. Carlos did the best for his career by staying planted at 160, where he attained legendary status. Had he moved up to 175 (since there was no 168 when he was active) he would not have dominated like he did at 160.

Kid, I gave you more good K for your post. Well said, sir!