Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 PM
DanielTurcotte3
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 DanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond reputeDanielTurcotte3 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24.60
Total Points: 34,680.99
have an apple - Left Hook Tua 
Default One of Boxings underated aspects.......A controlled corner in b/w rounds?!?!

I was recently watching the Miguel Cotto V Zab Judah fight,and I suddenly had an epihany.........During the first 3 rounds in which Judah had won 2 out of 3 on my card, with the 3rd being a 2 point round bc of the point deduction, his corner seemed controlled and stable.....After the 3rd round and the 2nd or 3rd low blow from Cotto, it seemed like all hell broke loose in his corner and there fighter seemingly unraveled with it....Yoel was attempting to calm Judah down, but at the same time was animated enough about the illegal shots that the ref, Arthur Mercante Jr., came over to talk to Judah, at one point whispering in his ear not to retaliate....During this, his cutman was also getting involved and was heavily talking to Judah...From this point on in the fight it was all Cotto, and during each 1 minute rest time, Judah was being harrased almost by his trainer Yoel, and his cutman, another Judah.....This is something that really can get to a fighter, or soo it would seem....One too many ppl talking, distractions about another fighters antics from his trainer, etc...

I remember the way Lennox Lewis would conduct himself during the break, his eyes glued on Emmanuel Steward throughout the minute, not even glancing over to get a drink, simply opening his mouth and waiting for the straw, point being, he always listened, and remained focused on the task at hand during each rest period....

Now of course this is not true in all cases, such as Roy Jones Jr,....He seems to look every which way, most of his fights looking over towards Derrick "Smoke" Gainer who was always seated close at ringside, always taking in what he had to say as well as Alton Merkerson...And at times, he would even tell Alton what he was seeing, what he was going to do, and he would do it....Perfect case being the Trinidad fight, he continued to talk about openings that he would see, and how he was going to exploit them, and then he landed that overhand right in the 7th /i believe that put Trinidad down....Now although Jones was always aware of his surroundings, he always sat, and listened to everything being told to him as well as put in a few of his own points....

How important do you guys feel it is to have a steady corner, one that continues not to distract a fighter???
One that seemingly continues to be controlled even in the most difficult times??

PS....My feeling is that obviously u need a talented fighter, but one who has the ability to listen, and realize what and who is in front of him no matter what talent level the trainer is........IN MOST CIRCUMSTANCES THE CORNER IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE FIGHTER DURING EVERY SINGLE ROUND OF EVERY SINGLE FIGHT!!

Much love ppl!!!

Ill be back in about 15 mins to discuss this thread sorry that I gotta peel for a minute!!!
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-02-2008, 12:52 AM
rj_ct
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 rj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond reputerj_ct has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 85,998.81

dude, people have known yoel to be a terrible presence in zab's corner for years. but i agree: 1 person (the trainer) talks. everyone else tends to the fighter calmly. even in am fights i hate having more than 1 person talking to me.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:56 AM
jack_the_rippuh
Banned

Rep Power: 0 jack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,250,138.07
Total Points: 82,636,012.82
thanks for helping me dig it - boxing_prospect a bribe to red k wlad owns and to tell him it's from i am ike. lol - i am ike since you feel ill , player. an apple a day keep the doctor away. - i am ike here swallow all these pills and it'll help you throw up. - i am ike please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua 
One of boxingscene's best - BostonGuy For the new boxingscene millionaire... Oh i forgot hook me some of your good K mate.... - FasTHarD Best Poster On Boxingscene! - Dorian THE GOAT - RJJ The Truth To a fellow dark mind. - Mizzou 
to the most sick minded individual to ever step foot in BoxingScene...we await your return jackula...mwahahahaa - BritishBoxing92 

I don't think it matters much.
Especially to a black fighter like Judah.

I mention his race because blacks are loud and are used to alot of people talking.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 AM
jack_the_rippuh
Banned

Rep Power: 0 jack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for helping me dig it - boxing_prospect a bribe to red k wlad owns and to tell him it's from i am ike. lol - i am ike since you feel ill , player. an apple a day keep the doctor away. - i am ike here swallow all these pills and it'll help you throw up. - i am ike please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua 
One of boxingscene's best - BostonGuy For the new boxingscene millionaire... Oh i forgot hook me some of your good K mate.... - FasTHarD Best Poster On Boxingscene! - Dorian THE GOAT - RJJ The Truth To a fellow dark mind. - Mizzou 
to the most sick minded individual to ever step foot in BoxingScene...we await your return jackula...mwahahahaa - BritishBoxing92 

Remember Floyd's fight with Henry Bruseles when Lampley pointed out, "What might seem to be arguing to us, is just casual talk to the Mayweathers."

Meaning loud talk and commotion is typical of blacks.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:58 AM
jack_the_rippuh
Banned

God I hate myself.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:58 AM
El Jesus
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 37 El Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,486,878.10
Just for being a cool guy. That's all. - BennyST 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_rippuh View Post
I don't think it matters much.
Especially to a black fighter like Judah.

I mention his race because blacks are loud and are used to alot of people talking.
that is, until a white woman walks by, in which all conversation stops, and we all oogle at the greatness of her milky white skin, her soft blonde hair and her beautiful flat butt.

A white woman walking by a crowd of black men is like freezing time on that old show "Out of this World"
Old 08-02-2008, 01:01 AM
OTSS
Banned

Rep Power: 0 OTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these partsOTSS is infamous around these parts
Bank: 198,083.21
Total Points: 236,009.87
lol, Thanks bro! - Joshua Clottey Hope the C's get out of the east!!!Bandwagon biatch!!!! - golpealhigado 

...I'm black but your race baiting was still funny
Old 08-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Silencers
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 59 Silencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,183,854,741,120.28
Total Points: 6,183,859,029,340.40
You're a great poster man!  The site is lucky to have you. - abosworth You're my hero!! :D - Spiegelo It's a pleasure to read your posts. - The_Bringer boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Poster - mickey gomez boxingsences best happy xmas man lets drink to a good 1 good health - The Jackal 
Have an apple bro - danc1984 Happy 09 to one of NSB's finest! - KrisSilver Too many good things to say. But in short, a humble &amp;amp; very knowledgeable poster. - J. HITTER One serious poster of BoxingScene FROM: - FasTHarD Have a beer, for one of the best Posters - Golden Boy 360 
Apple for the teacher, - mitruth from one intelligent  person to another ;) - Massage Queen Floyd Mayweather  Greatest fighter of his era - Malcolm. Boxing Scences Finest Happy bithday - The Jackal To one of Boxing Scene's Elite. - Izrock 
For the fight man - The Jackal For one of Boxingscene's finest! - Shadows No Message - Mucus ATG poster - Mucus Have a slice - Juan Gabriel 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Jackal Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 

A calm and stable corner is very important to a fighter, you don't want 3 guys shouting different instructions into your ears, just makes you confused. I always believe in 1 guy doing the talking in between rounds and that should be the trainer.

And Yoel is horrible in the corner, gives terrible instructions and sometimes doesn't give instructions at all, he sometimes just shadowboxes while making noises.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:19 AM
m00ks
The Human Keg

Rep Power: 594 m00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,403,667.57
Total Points: 2,456,326.08

This thread is a breath of fresh air.

A calm and collected corner is crucial in any fight. It settles the fighter down, gives him the confidence that everything is under control even after a bad round. Joe Goosen is one example I can think of. Clear, precise, collected.

I also love to listen in on the corner and analyze what they're saying then see if the fighter implements the adjustment that was suggested by the corner. It's also interesting to see if the given instructions are actually helping to the fighter.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 AM
DIOS DOMINICANO
Banned

Rep Power: 0 DIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond reputeDIOS DOMINICANO has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,727,084.15
Total Points: 3,288,647.74
Have you ever been told that you look like Casamayor a bit? - DWiens421 Welcome Back - El Dominicano 
Send a message via AIM to DIOS DOMINICANO

I love Mayweather's corner. Uncle Roger telling him exactly what he needs to know ("you ain't gotta move away from that mutha****a - you hurtin' him inside"), his best friend calmly re-assuring him, abnd the wisdom and experience of Rafael garcia pulling it all together.

The only hiccup they ever had was the Zab fight. And even then, Roger was doing GREAT until he wigged.

Zab's corner is absolute trash.

I also love Diego Corrales' (RIP) corner. Goossen is awesome.