No announcement yet.

Lupe Fiasco "forced" me to pay attention

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lupe Fiasco "forced" me to pay attention

I wasn't around for "Protect Your Neck" or "Nothing but a G Thang", but I imagine people felt that same thing I felt when I heard Lupe Fiasco's "Superstar". I was captivated by his lyrical mastery, flow, and how he doesn't need BS filler lyrics complete with gangsta references they themselves aren't really familiar with.

I guess part of it also comes from Matthew Santos' chorus, which really sets the mood. Nonetheless, Lupe Fiasco has my attention, even though I'm mad late on him.

Yeah, I was shocked too when I first heard Lupe because i didn't expect anything like that from the new schoool of rappers. The presence of guys like that opens the door for more real artists. I'll tell you though, one of the biggest lyrical shocks the rap world ever got was when it first heard this single in 1987, we hadn't heard anything like it.

Comment

BDK was definitely ahead of his time, but an mc by the name of Rakim came out a year earlier from Strong Island and he changed the way a rapper spits. Rakim was light years ahead of the game by that point, though BDK was tight on Raw. I think Raw is considerably fresher lyrically than "Ain't No Half Stepping". Raw was exactly that, it was raw underground hip hop. Nothing fancy about it, just a dude from Brooklyn breaking it down behind a dope beat.

Rakim was just from outer space, I mean it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Sensation View Post
        I wasn't around for "Protect Your Neck" or "Nothing but a G Thang", but I imagine people felt that same thing I felt when I heard Lupe Fiasco's "Superstar". I was captivated by his lyrical mastery, flow, and how he doesn't need BS filler lyrics complete with gangsta references they themselves aren't really familiar with.

I guess part of it also comes from Matthew Santos' chorus, which really sets the mood. Nonetheless, Lupe Fiasco has my attention, even though I'm mad late on him.
        Yep,the best mc in the game today,he belonged in the 90's era,both of his albums are classic material,u need to listen to songs like He Say She Say,Hurt Me Soul,Intruder Alert,HipHop Saved My Life,Twilight Zone,Coulda Been

Great songs

Comment

IMO Superstar is one of the worst tracks on The Cool. Not a bad track but there are tracks I listen to a lot more than that track.

The Coolest
          Put you on game
          Streets on fire
          Go Go Gadget Flow
          Little Weapon
          Hello/Goodbye
          Dumb it down
          Intruder alert
          Hip Hop saved my life

...all tracks better than superstar IMO.

Cop the album because you're seriously missing out!!

Comment

BDK was definitely ahead of his time, but an mc by the name of Rakim came out a year earlier from Strong Island and he changed the way a rapper spits. Rakim was light years ahead of the game by that point, though BDK was tight on Raw. I think Raw is considerably fresher lyrically than "Ain't No Half Stepping". Raw was exactly that, it was raw underground hip hop. Nothing fancy about it, just a dude from Brooklyn breaking it down behind a dope beat.

Rakim was just from outer space, I mean it.

Yeah, well it's been said that Rakim is the father of Hip Hop lyricism and Big Daddy Kane the father or Hip Hop flow. That is what astounded everyone about Kane. We listened to Rakim and he was amazing, deeper than anyone we had heard before with his words (or after in my opinion ) but his flow was like alot of what was around at that time already. Kane blew us away with his flow, we had never heard anything like that before.
            Last edited by res; 02-01-2008, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Check out The Cool Kids

Comment

Lupe Fiasco is a special kind of artist. That goes for all of music period. This album is a gem.

Comment

as of now Soulja Boy has sold more than Lupe, what a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
                    as of now Soulja Boy has sold more than Lupe, what a shame.
                    What a ****ing huge shame!!

When it comes to talent they are worlds apart!

Comment

Working...
                    X