Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Reply
Thread Navigation

#31
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Age: 33
Posts: 3,390
Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,005,310,172.03
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,005,310,172.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The "I hate Tyson" award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
It baffles me how people can make lists like this, considering they've never seen several of the people on it actually fighting!

Most of our opinions of the old timers is based on boxing historians' opinions and newspaper reports. Now this is just my opinion, but I believe boxing historians try to make out that what they saw back in the day was the best, be it true or untrue, and cling on to their memories of the fighters of yesteryear because no-one else can truly say "you're wrong", as the only thing anyone else has to go by is a fighter's record.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, UrDazed. I'm not slating your opinion, I just think it's a bit crazy that people buy into the old reports so much. I'm also of the belief that the pre-war, turn of the 19th century world champions are vastly overrated simply because we will never be able to see what the majority of them were like. Also, the modern day version of boxing was more or less just starting to take shape back then, so fighters were obviously a whole lot less evolved.

Apologies if it seems like I'm having a go at you, UrDazed. I'm not. I just thought this was an appropriate time and thread to vent some of my opinions that I haven't really been able to do before.

Other than Harry Greb and "Barbados Demon" Joe Walcott, there is footage of every fighter on his list. For many of them, there is plentiful footage. So I'm not sure how you can assume that he hasn't seen them fight. I realize that a lot of people are too lazy to bother watching black and white fights, but there are plenty of people who have seen more than enough footage of the "old-timers" to rate them appropriately.
Reply With Quote
SBleeder is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#32
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Bolo Punch
TAFKAP
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Belfast
Posts: 884
Rep Power: 6 Bolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 100,000,044,547.97
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 100,000,044,547.97
happy future birthday homie - Tha_Greatest 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
Other than Harry Greb and "Barbados Demon" Joe Walcott, there is footage of every fighter on his list. For many of them, there is plentiful footage. So I'm not sure how you can assume that he hasn't seen them fight.
I'd say you'd struggle to find a film of a fight in its entirety for a third of the fighters named on that list. Judging on 5-10 minute highlight videos is hardly enough evidence to use in ranking someone as one of the greatest fighters of all-time.

Quote:
I realize that a lot of people are too lazy to bother watching black and white fights, but there are plenty of people who have seen more than enough footage of the "old-timers" to rate them appropriately.
Certainly not me, for one. I love watching fights from all eras of the sport. It fascinates me to see how the sport has grown or evolved in some ways and stayed the same in others. For someone wanting to forever expand their knowledge of the sport, what better way is there to do so than by watching the fights?
Reply With Quote
Bolo Punch is offline
#33
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
UrDazed
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 401
Rep Power: 0 UrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these partsUrDazed is infamous around these parts
Points: 30,692.23
Bank: 10,612,080,000.00
Total Points: 10,612,110,692.23
another alt Fasttimes? - thuggery A poster with brains! Good job! - ROSS CALIFORNIA A poster with brains! Good job! - ROSS CALIFORNIA 
Default

I've seen them all fight barring Walcott and Greb, and I've studied all of their resumes.
Reply With Quote
UrDazed is offline
#34
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Pockets
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 94
Rep Power: 0 Pockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these partsPockets is infamous around these parts
Points: 4,408.03
Bank: 15,037.37
Total Points: 19,445.40
Default

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Henry Armstrong
4. Harry Greb
5. Sam Langford
6. Willie Pep
7. Archie Moore
8. Jimmy Wilde
9. Ezzard Charles
10. Joe Louis
Reply With Quote
Pockets is offline
#35
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
1SILVA
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: HARLEM NYC
Age: 46
Posts: 1,695
Rep Power: 10 1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 189,661.87
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 189,661.87
Great job on my assignment. Here's another book for your collection. - BattlingNelson 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
1. Sugar ray robinson
2. Muhammad ali
3. Henry armstrong
4. Harry greb
5. Sam langford
6. Willie pep
7. Archie moore
8. Jimmy wilde
9. Ezzard charles
10. Joe louis
i want to thank everyone for their input so far.
Reply With Quote
1SILVA is offline
#36
Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 PM
McGrain
Contender
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 260
Rep Power: 8 McGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 18,608.05
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 18,608.05
Default

Tier I
Harry Greb, Bob Fitzsimmons, Sam Langford, Henry Armstrong, Sugar Ray Robinson, Ezzard Charles, Muhammad Ali


Tier II
Benny Leonard, Joe Gans, Mickey Walker, Archie Moore, Roberto Duran, Packey McFarland, Joe Louis, Willie Pep, Joe Walcott.

Tier III
George Dixon, Eder Jofre, Charley Burley, Holman Williams, Sugar Ray Leonard, Barney Ross, Tony Canzoneri, Jimmy McLarnin.

Tier IV
Gene Tunney, Ruben Olivares, Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones, Terry McGovern, Billy Conn, Kid Gavilan, Sandy Saddler, Stanley Ketchel.

Tier V
Manuel Ortiz, Alexis Arguello, Jimmy Wilde, Jose Napoles, Emile Griffith, Jack Britton, Carlos Monzon, Marvin Hagler, Jimmy Bivins, Rocky Marciano.

Tier VI
Salvador Sanchez, Julio Cesar Chavez, Evander Holyfield, Jack McAuliffe, Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Thomas Hearns.


That's my 50.

Last edited by McGrain; 02-16-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
McGrain is offline
#37
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 PM
hhascup
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lodi, New Jersey
Age: 66
Posts: 796
Rep Power: 11 hhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond reputehhascup has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 140,550.03
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 140,550.03
1st Prize in quiz. Well done. - McGoorty Nice job - rorymac 
Send a message via AIM to hhascup
Default

I was asked by the BWAA and Steve Lott to be on a committee that will pick the 1st ever Boxing Hall of Famers in Las Vegas. They asked 19 of us to pick their top 50 fighters of all-time. The fighter had to be retired at least 5 years. Most of the fighters that were picked so far on this site, were also picked by several members of the committee. The final selection will be done by Friday. I order to get in, the fighter must get at least 75% of the vote. So far it looks like we have 25 in the 1st ever class, But there can be a few changes.

When the vote has been complete, I will post my top 50, I can't do it before then.

The new Boxing Hall of Fame will be located in the Luxor Hotel and Casino on the Las Vegas strip. It will be part of major new sports attraction called, SCORE!.

The SCORE! attraction has a prime location right next to the Titanic and Bodies exhibits on the mezzanine level of the Hotel.

SCORE! will contain exhibits from each major sports hall of fame including baseball, football, hockey, basketball and NASCAR.

The SCORE! attraction will contain rare memorabila from each Hall of Fame.
The video in each exhibit is a critical part as it makes each sport come to life. The Boxing Hall of Fame owns the exclusive HOF rights to the massive ESPN/Classic Sports fight film and tape library. The library spans over a century beginning with Thomas Edison's filming of Gentleman Jim Corbett in 1894 right through to the fights of "Iron" Mike Tyson. No other sports hall of fame in the world contains such an inventory of films and tapes.

Last edited by hhascup; 02-20-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
hhascup is offline
#38
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Scott9945
Gonna be more suspicious
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 20,200
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 75 Scott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond reputeScott9945 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 11,280,051,302,247.09
Bank: 3,618,545,625,633,442.50
Total Points: 3,629,825,676,935,689.50
not sure if u drink beer so i bought u a pepsi - writeright you're ok with me too bro - Left Hook Tua a bribe for free porn. lol - Left Hook Tua Cheers - T-97 Meant to send this to you earlier but sent to myself by mistake lol. Cheers - joseph5620 
First round on me - mrpain81 8K Posts - T-97 You're killing them in the political debates! lol. - joseph5620 Cheers amigo - anonymousboxing Have a tuna melt homey - mangler 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led top poster - JAB5239 Great poster. - Barnburner Yes lets ban the troll - McGoorty In honor of Joe Frazier - Terry A 
Merry Christmas - The Surgeon good poster - jazluvr thanks for the swift e-points payment - jas one of the great posters in the history forum - jas 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhascup View Post
I was asked by the BWAA and Steve Lott to be on a committee that will pick the 1st ever Boxing Hall of Famers in Las Vegas. They asked 19 of us to pick their top 50 fighters of all-time. The fighter had to be retired at least 5 years. Most of the fighters that were picked so far on this site, were also picked by several members of the committee. The final selection will be done by Friday. I order to get in, the fighter must get at least 75% of the vote. So far it looks like we have 25 in the 1st ever class, But there can be a few changes.

When the vote has been complete, I will post my top 50, I can't do it before then.

The new Boxing Hall of Fame will be located in the Luxor Hotel and Casino on the Las Vegas strip. It will be part of major new sports attraction called, SCORE!.

The SCORE! attraction has a prime location right next to the Titanic and Bodies exhibits on the mezzanine level of the Hotel.

SCORE! will contain exhibits from each major sports hall of fame including baseball, football, hockey, basketball and NASCAR.

The SCORE! attraction will contain rare memorabila from each Hall of Fame.
The video in each exhibit is a critical part as it makes each sport come to life. The Boxing Hall of Fame owns the exclusive HOF rights to the massive ESPN/Classic Sports fight film and tape library. The library spans over a century beginning with Thomas Edison's filming of Gentleman Jim Corbett in 1894 right through to the fights of "Iron" Mike Tyson. No other sports hall of fame in the world contains such an inventory of films and tapes.
I'll be looking forward to reading that.
Reply With Quote
Scott9945 is offline
#39
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Bundana
Contender
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 351
Rep Power: 6 Bundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond reputeBundana has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 500,064,306.56
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 500,064,306.56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
It baffles me how people can make lists like this, considering they've never seen several of the people on it actually fighting!

Most of our opinions of the old timers is based on boxing historians' opinions and newspaper reports. Now this is just my opinion, but I believe boxing historians try to make out that what they saw back in the day was the best, be it true or untrue, and cling on to their memories of the fighters of yesteryear because no-one else can truly say "you're wrong", as the only thing anyone else has to go by is a fighter's record.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, UrDazed. I'm not slating your opinion, I just think it's a bit crazy that people buy into the old reports so much. I'm also of the belief that the pre-war, turn of the 19th century world champions are vastly overrated simply because we will never be able to see what the majority of them were like. Also, the modern day version of boxing was more or less just starting to take shape back then, so fighters were obviously a whole lot less evolved.

Apologies if it seems like I'm having a go at you, UrDazed. I'm not. I just thought this was an appropriate time and thread to vent some of my opinions that I haven't really been able to do before.
Very good post; agree 100%!
Reply With Quote
Bundana is offline
#40
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
wmute
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,048
Rep Power: 31 wmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 202,911.70
Bank: 25,309,780,363.45
Total Points: 25,309,983,275.15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capaedia View Post
You got all the way to 32 without making my jaw drop out of shock.

I didn't realise that was possible.
Ray Leonard at #10 made mine drop.
Reply With Quote
wmute is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
fighters, greatest, poll, radio, show, time

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.