Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 AM
Augustane
Undisputed Truth

Rep Power: 9 Augustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 74,796,556,719,092.28
Total Points: 75,896,556,772,622.77
Props - mathed No Message - mathed No Message - mathed No Message - mathed Enjoy - mathed 
May the best man win!! - mathed Great poster - Weltschmerz No Message - sugarsmosley 
Default Pacquiao's Catchweight Criticism

A lot of people give Pacquiao criticism for his catchweights in the welterweight division, but I honestly feel that this is only because we've put him on such a pedestal. We fight fans have given Manny a Superman-like status against any welterweight that isn't Floyd Mayweather. That's the Pacquiao we all know now, the one that's been comfortably fighting at 147 for several years. We don't remember that Pacquiao, when fighting those catchweights, was still the David against the Goliaths of the welterweight division.

To put things into perspective, I want to give you a list of weight classes and how long Manny Pacquiao spent in them.

Flyweight 108-112 - 4 years
Bantamweight 118-122 - 4 years
Featherweight 126-130 - 5 years

~
Lightweight 135 - One fight [2008]
Welterweight 147 - One fight [Six months later]
Light Welterweight 140 - [Six months later]
Welterweight 145 - [Six months later]
Welterweight 147 - [Four months later]*
Light Middleweight 150 - [Eight months later]**
~

Welterweight 147 - 2011
Welterweight 144 - 2011***
Welterweight 147 - 2012
Welterweight 147 - 2012

* Clottey weighed ~165, while Pacquiao weighed 150~ on fight night.
** Margarito weighed 168, while Pacquiao weighed 151 on fight night.
*** Pacquiao fought Marquez at a catchweight of 144.
~ This entire segment occurred in two years.

My point is that Pacquiao skipped an entire lightweight division and jumped headfirst into the welterweight division. While we all complain of him draining fighters now, we fail to realize that he was still growing into the division and was a very small fighter at the time. The reasons for catchweights were legitimate. While Pacquiao had 3-5 years to develop into his other weight classes, he jumped two of them in two fights, then proceeded to battle welterweight and light middleweight giants.

It was only after Pacquiao blazed through the division, that we've found flaws and say that these fighters were drained. Realistically at the time these fights were made, it was reasonable to say that these catchweights leveled the playing field enough for these classic fights to have been made. When you remember that Clottey, De La Hoya, and Margarito fought a fighter fresh out of featherweight and outweighed him by 15-18 lbs, you have to give credit where it's due.

Lastly, I've seen many people complain that Pacquiao forced Marquez up in weight. You need to remember that Mayweather did the same thing, setting the fight at 147 and coming in overweight. Pacquiao did fight at a 144lb catchweight and came in weighing even less than Marquez on fight night. Pacquiao and Marquez are in reality, much closer in weight than many would think.

I just feel that Pacquiao's achievements have lost their luster recently due to allegations of catchweights. I feel like it's only right to shed a little bit of perspective onto the subject. I don't expect to change any minds.

TL;DR: Pacquiao had 3-5 years to adjust to weights from flyweight up to featherweight. His jump from 130 to 135 to 147 was a matter of one year. He then jumped to 154 in the next year. It's not ridiculous to say that the catchweights had some genuine legitimacy.

Last edited by Augustane; 02-04-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 AM
yuppie
Up and Coming Prospect

Rep Power: 8 yuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond reputeyuppie has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 204,134,761,029.65
Total Points: 205,134,885,120.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustane View Post
A lot of people give Pacquiao criticism for his catchweights in the welterweight division, but I honestly feel that this is only because we've put him on such a pedestal. We fight fans have given Manny a Superman-like status against any welterweight that isn't Floyd Mayweather. That's the Pacquiao we all know now, the one that's been comfortably fighting at 147 for several years. We don't remember that Pacquiao, when fighting those catchweights, was still the David against the Goliaths of the welterweight division.

To put things into perspective, I want to give you a list of weight classes and how long Manny Pacquiao spent in them.

~
~

Welterweight 147 - 2011
Welterweight 147 - 2012
Welterweight 147 - 2012

My point is that Pacquiao skipped an entire lightweight division and jumped headfirst into the welterweight division. While we all complain of him draining fighters now, we fail to realize that he was still growing into the division and was a very small fighter at the time. The reasons for catchweights were legitimate. While Pacquiao had 3-5 years to develop into his other weight classes, he jumped two of them in two fights, then proceeded to battle welterweight and light middleweight giants.

It was only after Pacquiao blazed through the division, that we've found flaws and say that these fighters were drained. Realistically at the time these fights were made, it was reasonable to say that these catchweights leveled the playing field enough for these classic fights to have been made. When you remember that Clottey, De La Hoya, and Margarito fought a fighter fresh out of featherweight and outweighed him by 15-18 lbs, you have to give credit where it's due.

Lastly, I've seen many people complain that Pacquiao forced Marquez up in weight. You need to remember that Mayweather did the same thing, setting the fight at 147 and coming in overweight. Pacquiao did fight at a 144lb catchweight and came in weighing even less than Marquez on fight night. Pacquiao and Marquez are in reality, much closer in weight than many would think.

I just feel that Pacquiao's achievements have lost their luster recently due to allegations of catchweights. I feel like it's only right to shed a little bit of perspective onto the subject. I don't expect to change any minds.

TL;DR: Pacquiao had 3-5 years to adjust to weights from flyweight up to featherweight. His jump from 130 to 135 to 147 was a matter of one year. He then jumped to 154 in the next year. It's not ridiculous to say that the catchweights had some genuine legitimacy.
Wow, this topic has never been brought up before.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 AM
thuggery
proper rock slanga'

Rep Power: 53 thuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond reputethuggery has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,547,331,916,084,452.00
Total Points: 8,565,463,916,370,167.00
Thanks.  Let see if this works. - sdcluser Thankyou for your compliment. - Rockin' love &amp; peace - Lotus Flower Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks No Message - FkDaHtrs 
No Message - FkDaHtrs Haha thanks!  Here is a badass looking fish! - UglyPug Thanks man! - WARQUEZ Have a whopper!!!!! - E.P.T. one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. 
A legendary poster in the making. - WARQUEZ 4 some good luck coming your way - Rockin' destroying bandwagoners - .:: JSFD26 ::. already greened you, but props on posting that quote dissing c/w's - chiguy91 welcome back bro........ - bigsmoothh 
For a Toe to Toe poster! - LoadedWraps Good job! - Weltschmerz A brewski for a cool vato - hectari Merry Christmas - Freedom2013 i learned from the best, like you - Kuyukut 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - thuggery 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery 

Tbh the only people who bitch and moan about Pacquiao's CW fights are Floyd fanboys and that's only because they feel the need to have to look for something to ***** and moan about when it comes to him.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Pan-Africanist
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 Pan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these partsPan-Africanist is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 51,235.90

Who gives a **** really? Whats done is done. Cant change the past.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 AM
HazeAnatomy
Contender

Rep Power: 0 HazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these partsHazeAnatomy is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 3,562.44
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustane View Post

~
~

Welterweight 147 - 2011
Welterweight 147 - 2012
Welterweight 147 - 2012

Excellent Points made...to help further the sucspicion that Emmanuel Pacquiao was in fact using PED's and or HGH. Great job.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 AM
~BoZz~
CHINO XL

Rep Power: 25 ~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 50,721,065,802,896.59
Total Points: 50,721,066,751,013.12
for ur superpwnage of elderlybeater in his own thread.. LOL - Tha Executioner Pactard Killer! - MANIAC310 BoZzZzZz - MANIAC310 Keep slaying Pactards - rorymac Hahaha remind me to green K you for that sig pic lol - dancovboxer 
I don't think i've ever seen you green lol - MANIAC310 Happy New Year - Freedom. happy new years homie - Tha_Greatest same to you brother - dj emzz Bossy Loves BoZzY :D :kiss: - Bossy 
for being good sport in the, &quot;start rumors&quot; thread - jose830 tasty. - YDKSAB no more green k homie, lol, sent you this until im able to green you bakk - Tha_Greatest Happy holidays bro! - led* Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Happy Holidays ~BoZz~ - !! AI-Holmes!! I don't even know who you are, but enjoy! You learned your lesson :) - thuggery Now now, behave yourself. Good Boy - thuggery sh1t , i cant green k you again, i got banned 2 times in 2 days i posted(did my ban time) and got banned again, lol, wonderful, lol, - Tha_Greatest another one, lol, i cant believe i used to have beef with you, lol, respect to ya man - Tha_Greatest 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - BritishBoxing92 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - BritishBoxing92 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 

[QUOTE=Augustane;12992137]A lot of people give Pacquiao criticism for his catchweights in the welterweight division, but I honestly feel that this is only because we've put him on such a pedestal. We fight fans have given Manny a Superman-like status against any welterweight that isn't Floyd Mayweather. That's the Pacquiao we all know now, the one that's been comfortably fighting at 147 for several years. We don't remember that Pacquiao, when fighting those catchweights, was still the David against the Goliaths of the welterweight division.

~
~

Welterweight 147 - 2011
Welterweight 147 - 2012
Welterweight 147 - 2012

Yea but how much did they weight at the weight in?? Doesn't it affect the body to rapidly lose weight than gain it again a day before the fight??
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 AM
~BoZz~
CHINO XL

Rep Power: 25 ~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 50,721,065,802,896.59
Total Points: 50,721,066,751,013.12
for ur superpwnage of elderlybeater in his own thread.. LOL - Tha Executioner Pactard Killer! - MANIAC310 BoZzZzZz - MANIAC310 Keep slaying Pactards - rorymac Hahaha remind me to green K you for that sig pic lol - dancovboxer 
I don't think i've ever seen you green lol - MANIAC310 Happy New Year - Freedom. happy new years homie - Tha_Greatest same to you brother - dj emzz Bossy Loves BoZzY :D :kiss: - Bossy 
for being good sport in the, &quot;start rumors&quot; thread - jose830 tasty. - YDKSAB no more green k homie, lol, sent you this until im able to green you bakk - Tha_Greatest Happy holidays bro! - led* Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Happy Holidays ~BoZz~ - !! AI-Holmes!! I don't even know who you are, but enjoy! You learned your lesson :) - thuggery Now now, behave yourself. Good Boy - thuggery sh1t , i cant green k you again, i got banned 2 times in 2 days i posted(did my ban time) and got banned again, lol, wonderful, lol, - Tha_Greatest another one, lol, i cant believe i used to have beef with you, lol, respect to ya man - Tha_Greatest 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - BritishBoxing92 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - BritishBoxing92 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeAnatomy View Post
Excellent Points made...to help further the sucspicion that Emmanuel Pacquiao was in fact using PED's and or HGH. Great job.
True
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 AM
hugh grant
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 43 hugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond reputehugh grant has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,038,348,108.67
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - S a m u r a i Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - rorymac Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - I'm so sorry 

Pac is FOTD so jealous people will only talk about either CWs or Pac being Koed by JMM thats all that matters to them. Its almost a relief Pac got koed at least Floyd fans have something to talk about other than CWs as an excuse.

Only thing wrong with the CWs is that pac really didnt need them, and whether they actually benefitted him is debateable. So you can call Pac an idiot that would be fair.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Bolo Punch
TAFKAP

Rep Power: 6 Bolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond reputeBolo Punch has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,000,044,508.97
happy future birthday homie - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeAnatomy View Post
Was Henry Armstrong on the juice, too?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Augustane
Undisputed Truth

Rep Power: 9 Augustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond reputeAugustane has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 74,796,556,719,092.28
Total Points: 75,896,556,772,622.77
Props - mathed No Message - mathed No Message - mathed No Message - mathed Enjoy - mathed 
May the best man win!! - mathed Great poster - Weltschmerz No Message - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BoZz~ View Post
Yea but how much did they weight at the weight in?? Doesn't it affect the body to rapidly lose weight than gain it again a day before the fight??
If you want to talk about official weigh ins, then I want to ask:

Doesn't most of the board give Martinez credit for dominating, and surviving the 12th round, against a severely weight-drained Chavez Jr? Didn't many agree it was a risk, because Chavez bloated up to Cruiserweight? It's argued that Chavez Jr. doesn't even belong at Middleweight and should move up 8lbs to the Super Middleweight division.

In that case, shouldn't we give Pacquiao credit for defeating Welterweights, with a difference of 2 lbs (Cotto) and 4lbs (Margarito)? Especially when Margarito, Clottey, and De La Hoya ended up bloating to Middleweight on fight night?

I don't see anybody trying to defend Chavez Jr or discrediting Martinez's performance.