Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 PM
The Surgeon
Days Of Glory

Rep Power: 56 The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 422,166,993,085.41
Total Points: 200,535,151,771,197.91
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Probably Floyd Mayweather if im honest....
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Panamaniac
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Panamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,000,096,909.90
It was private before, fixed it. - HaglerSteelChin 

<--The fellow in my avatar tops a list I will not post, as I agree with most afore-mentioned fighters. I also will not elaborate on the well-documented (defensive/offensive) skills of Roberto Duran, except to say that he had the uncanny ability to simultaneously slip punches while delivering them. On defensive skills alone, no one tops Permell Whitaker.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Prince_Pugilist
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Prince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,037,804.27

If I go back to fighters who I've seen on film my analysis will get pretty boring so I'll stick to fighters that I've seen in my own life time.

Three names stick out, especially when they were in their primes:

Lennox Lewis
Bernard Hopkins
Roy Jones Jr

Without trying to wade too much into the whole RJJ skill v talent discussion/argument, what I will say is Jones' talent level was so high compared to his contemporaries he rarely relied on his skills, but when he did he was terrific. His counter punching was second to none, he could slip punches as well as an Ali and his footwork was pristine.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 AM
Japanese Boxing
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 5 Japanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 945,031,482.84
deliciousness - tongue me Thanks!!! - DempseyRollin well deserved - HaglerSteelChin 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tongue me 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBOOMER View Post
Jones was very skilled with great timing beautiful counters he was everything you want from a fighter. He had a good chin in his prime.

He didn't lose his skills he knew what to do but couldn't get in position to do it his legs were gone and after being knocked out he was scared to try anything else so opted to lay on the ropes and try to fight even tho he got knocked out again it's all he could really do I mean think of it like this if he went to stand in the middle of the ring and walking oppents down with shots if he got caught with as bad as his punch resistance is now he'd go to sleep even more.
He had some great assets but his overall skill wasn't nearly as good as his overall physical gifts. He didn't lose skills that he never had. Sorry, but it's that simple with that man. Everything else is an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
Well Jones was pretty sensational for well over a decade. His reflexes and chin had to go sometime. He is as skilled as I've seen a boxer.......but there are so many others too; Robinson, Pep, Charles, Ali, Leonard....
He was the best at using his limited knowledge with his physical abilities. I will agree to that. He lacked a lot of what the other guys you mention had. I think Jones looks better in a lot of fighters because guys were scared to be in the ring with him. I will always admit though that him beating James Toney will forever blow my mind. It never, ever made sense to me.