Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM
GrandpaBernard
motherfuc

Rep Power: 0 GrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 54,167,466.43
For the insight! - Lazerjab Happy new years bro! - Lazerjab 
Default How Much Is Ring IQ Naturally Inherent?

Many fighters are written off because they don't have great handspeed, chin, or power, but what about a lack of ring IQ? I see many "dumb" fighters continuously have faith put into them. Is Ring IQ something that can be drastically improved unlike the physical gifts?

I'm not trying to say dumb in a disrespectful way at all. I'm sure these guys are all sharp in real life.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
#1Assassin
Conveyor of Truth

Rep Power: 23 #1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,738,402,623.21
Total Points: 14,822,664,077.17
one of boxingscene's very worst posters - Freedom. one of boxingscene's very best posters - Barnburner What you said about Dempsey was real talk! - Atreyu Khalil you are one of THOSE terrible posters - Earl Hickey Eternal partnership,to MaryJane! - HughJass 
great advice in training forum - jas 

absolutely, you can be a genius in the ring and a moron outside of it or vice versa.

in fact ring iq is one of few things you have to learn, it doesnt come down to talent. some fighters pick it up easier than others but at the end of the day they all have to watch tape and study their craft, you arent just born with knowledge of how to fight.

in this sport you never know it all either so you never stop studying. even bernard hopkins who is one of the smartest boxers in the game admits hes still learning at 47, the sport is so vast and complex you never stop learning.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,067,956.54
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

The expression "high ring IQ" is used for a fighter that has alot of experience (and he's good) ! A 'natural" is someone with a high IQ who has inherit qualities like reflexes, balance, great vision without alot or any experience!
I had a young kid in the early 80s who's dad played football and boxed with me in the 60s. I gave the kid a shot at boxing and he won the states, regional, and national event by watching videos of Sugar Ray and Willie Pep! I had Gaspar Ortega school him on inside fighting and he sparred about 10 rounds. Never did road work, never hit a bag, never jumped rope, worked about 40 rounds of pads to put his combinations together so we could communicate and that was it! He was 12 yrs old and was defeating kids with 50 to 70 bouts! I took him to Johnny Davenports (R.I.P) all star show in Jersey and he fought a kid 2 yrs older who was a Regional Champion and won "Outstanding Boxer" award!! At the end of the summer he quit and I never saw him again!!! Thats a "natural", the kid was "Great" even better than a Klitz Bro. hahahaha!!! High IQ and Naturals are the most fun to watch unless your a survivor like Bernard, his IQ has let him last but he doesn't come to box or fight, he comes to get paid and make claims! Ray.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 PM
GrandpaBernard
motherfuc

Rep Power: 0 GrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 54,167,466.43
For the insight! - Lazerjab Happy new years bro! - Lazerjab 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Corso View Post
The expression "high ring IQ" is used for a fighter that has alot of experience (and he's good) ! A 'natural" is someone with a high IQ who has inherit qualities like reflexes, balance, great vision without alot or any experience!
I had a young kid in the early 80s who's dad played football and boxed with me in the 60s. I gave the kid a shot at boxing and he won the states, regional, and national event by watching videos of Sugar Ray and Willie Pep! I had Gaspar Ortega school him on inside fighting and he sparred about 10 rounds. Never did road work, never hit a bag, never jumped rope, worked about 40 rounds of pads to put his combinations together so we could communicate and that was it! He was 12 yrs old and was defeating kids with 50 to 70 bouts! I took him to Johnny Davenports (R.I.P) all star show in Jersey and he fought a kid 2 yrs older who was a Regional Champion and won "Outstanding Boxer" award!! At the end of the summer he quit and I never saw him again!!! Thats a "natural", the kid was "Great" even better than a Klitz Bro. hahahaha!!! High IQ and Naturals are the most fun to watch unless your a survivor like Bernard, his IQ has let him last but he doesn't come to box or fight, he comes to get paid and make claims! Ray.
amazing story you got there Ray