Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 PM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 mconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,500,000,165,997.71
Lightbulb Blocking hooks with your hands on your face -Yes or No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN13DCkSPyc

Go to 3:28 to about 3:48...Floyd Sr. tells Dirrell when he blocks hooks to NOT put his hand against his face...saying "if a guy is throwing hard, he can shake you up".

I was surprised to hear this. Floyd Jr keeps his hands on his face when blocking hooks. I would think keeping your hand away from your face when blocking hooks would just mean the punch knocks your fist into your face which could also shake you up.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-17-2013, 01:56 AM
sugar555
Contender

Rep Power: 0 sugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these partssugar555 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 33,421.33

Well floyd jr has not been fighting real one punch ko guys thats part of it but you should have it on or near your face you do not take one flush on the chin
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 124 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,492,888,514,275.25
Total Points: 23,492,888,755,863.30
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest 
Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 
damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 
Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth May you never stop spreading your knowledge. - BattlingNelson 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconstantine View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN13DCkSPyc

Go to 3:28 to about 3:48...Floyd Sr. tells Dirrell when he blocks hooks to NOT put his hand against his face...saying "if a guy is throwing hard, he can shake you up".

I was surprised to hear this. Floyd Jr keeps his hands on his face when blocking hooks. I would think keeping your hand away from your face when blocking hooks would just mean the punch knocks your fist into your face which could also shake you up.
This came up in my gym by one of my HW's who asked me the same thing. Here's what I teach and I hope it helps you out.

I agree with Floyd Sr in that putting your glove to your face is not good because you will absorb the impact of the shot anyway. So you can do two things, you can separate your arm from your face to absorb the impact or you can brace the top of the glove (or bottom of the glove, where the fingers are, don't know if it's technically the top or bottom lol)) on your forehead and brace your elbow to your body. That creates a sort of a brace that takes all the power off of the shot and onto your forearm.

I'm sure Floyd has done what you have said but if you look closely to him catching hooks, he turns his face away and deflects the power, he's very good at that. That comes with years of experience though.

Last edited by Cuauhtémoc1520; 01-17-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Mike Haynes
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 5 Mike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond reputeMike Haynes has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 609,497,209,997.38
Total Points: 1,109,502,245,573.83
Cunt - Rocky... 

I was taught to hold your hand up as if you are talking on the phone and bend your knees.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 mconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,500,000,165,997.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
This came up in my gym by one of my HW's who asked me the same thing. Here's what I teach and I hope it helps you out.

I agree with Floyd Sr in that putting your glove to your face is not good because you will absorb the impact of the shot anyway. So you can do two things, you can separate your arm from your face to absorb the impact or you can brace the top of the glove (or bottom of the glove, where the fingers are, don't know if it's technically the top or bottom lol)) on your forehead and brace your elbow to your body. That creates a sort of a brace that takes all the power off of the shot and onto your forearm.

I'm sure Floyd has done what you have said but if you look closely to him catching hooks, he turns his face away and deflects the power, he's very good at that. That comes with years of experience though.
Yea I guess I should clarify because this is a very technical discussion, but I am not advocating simply catching the hook with your glove against your face with no sort of rolling with the punch with your head and body. I typically do roll with the punch with my head and body as the hook lands, but with my glove against my face. I feel the impact, but I've never been closed to rocked catching hooks like that. DISCLAIMER: I can't recall ever catching one thrown full power this way.

But in the beginning of this video, you can see what I am talking about as Floyd demonstrates it. He doesn't just eat the punch with his glove on his face, he rolls his body and head with the punches to take some sting off.

I noticed Broner caught a lot of hooks this way against DeMarco as well. His glove was very plainly planted against his face. I would think this is one technique that would be even safer as an amateur with headgear than as a pro.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Locche
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 2 Locche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,259.86

So what Mayweather Snr's saying is hold your forearm up away from your face and tense it? But then with a really hard hook, wouldn't it do as a poster described above and slam your own glove into your own face? I got done like this a couple of times and then decided to go with the "against the face and attempt to roll" thing.

For what it's worth - I can still feel the impact of the hook if my glove is against my face, but when the glove slams into your head from 8 inches away, that seems to hurt more to me.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 124 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,492,888,514,275.25
Total Points: 23,492,888,755,863.30
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest 
Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 
damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 
Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth May you never stop spreading your knowledge. - BattlingNelson 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconstantine View Post
Yea I guess I should clarify because this is a very technical discussion, but I am not advocating simply catching the hook with your glove against your face with no sort of rolling with the punch with your head and body. I typically do roll with the punch with my head and body as the hook lands, but with my glove against my face. I feel the impact, but I've never been closed to rocked catching hooks like that. DISCLAIMER: I can't recall ever catching one thrown full power this way.

But in the beginning of this video, you can see what I am talking about as Floyd demonstrates it. He doesn't just eat the punch with his glove on his face, he rolls his body and head with the punches to take some sting off.

I noticed Broner caught a lot of hooks this way against DeMarco as well. His glove was very plainly planted against his face. I would think this is one technique that would be even safer as an amateur with headgear than as a pro.
Believe me, you can get knocked out catching a shot to your face like that. What Floyd Sr said was 100% true and I wouldn't recommend it but again, you do have to roll and absorb the impact of the shot. I prefer the methods I describe because it insures that you don't take the blow to the face and possibly the chin.

One thing is fighting with headgear and big gloves another is getting hit with 10-12oz gloves in the pro's. Your feet also play a big part in absorbing the shots as well, when you learn to move inside the pocket, you can take a lot off of shots.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
TheHolyCross
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 36 TheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,140,931,338.57
Total Points: 109,372,128,865.35
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier For solid posting - The Surgeon 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - McGoorty 

i feel most secure almost cuffing the back of my head and raising my elbow, it's really safe for headshots, but it'll probabley bite me in the ass later as my body is completely exposed on that side
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 22,222,461,428.46
Total Points: 22,272,546,111.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyCross View Post
i feel most secure almost cuffing the back of my head and raising my elbow, it's really safe for headshots, but it'll probabley bite me in the ass later as my body is completely exposed on that side
This sounds similar to how you'd block a hook from an ungloved hand. In a street fight or in MMA. (with the 4 ounce gloves).

It has its pros and cons. One of the cons is the exposure to your ribs, kidneys, liver. But in a street fight, your number one priority is to remain concious and upright. (especially if outnumbered)

Also I'm sure you're aware that you can twist that elbow in towards your face and block not only hooks, but alot of straight shots as well. With one motion. Which makes it a very effective block against a bar brawler, mugger, etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Locche
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 2 Locche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond reputeLocche has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,259.86

The same action also makes a rather handy uppercut elbow. Naughty, but perhaps handy in a close in self defence situation