Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM
greynotsoold
Contender

Rep Power: 3 greynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,008,934.99

What you have to understand about boxing is this: Most of the public training you see is bull**** meant to entertain and distract you. Going way way back public boxing training has been a way to make extra money. So you see guys doing elaborate jump rope routines, slap stick mitt routines, and so on.
That happens when the press is there. I can guarantee you, and this is more true the farther back you go, every trainer has his own secret routines that he hides from everybody. If somebody ever bothered to do the research and if everybody involved was honest, I'd venture that many "modern" training techniques and diets began with fighters.
PEDs, in boxing, don't mean as much as they do in other sports because they don't make you smarter. And boxing is a "smarts" game.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,005,272,247.08
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- 

They'd be worse.

Sorry, but the whole "modern training and nutrition" thing is retarded.

Fighters spar, do roadwork, hit the bags, hit the pads, skip rope, and do floorwork, same as in 1960, same as in 1910, same as in the 19th century.

Modern nutrition? Aside from there being a McDonald's on every city block, I really can't think of any improvements.

Today's welterweight champion fights at 147... as did the welterweight champion in 1920.

As for the heavyweights? Yeah, they're bigger all right. Bigger around the midsection.

The only improvements that have been made in the last 80 years are the advent of PEDs. And while we may have some better athletes than we did then, the fundamentals of boxing have eroded over the years, and anyone with an ounce of boxing knowledge can see that.

VG Addict, I normally respect you as a poster, but this myth needs to be put to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
What you have to understand about boxing is this: Most of the public training you see is bull**** meant to entertain and distract you. Going way way back public boxing training has been a way to make extra money. So you see guys doing elaborate jump rope routines, slap stick mitt routines, and so on.
That happens when the press is there. I can guarantee you, and this is more true the farther back you go, every trainer has his own secret routines that he hides from everybody. If somebody ever bothered to do the research and if everybody involved was honest, I'd venture that many "modern" training techniques and diets began with fighters.
PEDs, in boxing, don't mean as much as they do in other sports because they don't make you smarter. And boxing is a "smarts" game.
Thank you.