Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 122 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,898,154,275,138.13
Total Points: 14,898,154,470,173.35
Good tutorial - MANIAC310 Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes 
please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis 
One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted "las mañanitas" on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 
happy bday - -Mustang- Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 
Default Mayweather Mitt work all shallow?

http://shootafairone.wordpress.com/2...work-all-show/

Great article and this basically reflects the way I feel about it. I highlighted a good part of it here:

Quote:
Focus mitts were incorporated into boxing many decades ago and more – so there are different theories on its origination. Boxing trainers use focus mitt work (aka padwork or mittwork), to give dynamic practice for fighters to work on the things that happen while fighting. It gives a live body to train in front of. It continues to be used today for warming-up a fighter, working on movement, and fine-tuning skills. The problem is the focus of the mittwork; what is a trainer trying to achieve? Boxing trainers are increasingly adopting a cookie-cutter approach to teaching skills. Today, padwork is more for warming up guys or showing-off than for fine-tuning skill-sets. People love the way the Mayweathers do padwork perhaps because it looks so intricate. Other trainers stick to fads like towel slipping and tube punching – useful in some ways and some much less than others – but should not replace good ol’fashioned mittwork – the kind that is almost like sparring. And we don’t replace sparring, right?

The repetitive and fast action of the Mayweather style of mittwork indeed helps reflexes, short punches, and making things second nature, but bad habits may develop from it, too. There are plenty of young non-Mayweathers who don’t have the pedigree or time to become good in spite of paddy-cake padwork. They aren’t sitting on punches, turning their hips, or learning how to improvise within the fundamentals. There is no doubt that Roger, Jeff, Floyd Sr., and Floyd Jr. were each tremendous talents who exhibited those skills, but I think the chipmunk quick mittwork we see for two seconds clips on tv had less to do with it than the amalgam of everything else. Evidence suggests that they spent years touching up on the how’s and why’s before they became known for what many experienced eyes would, and do, call nonsense. But far too many boxing trainers are selling it to kids without the substance.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-20-2012, 03:12 PM
oc9979
Bad Intentions

Rep Power: 21 oc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond reputeoc9979 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,038,527,989,761.01
Total Points: 1,268,752,837,099.95
sharing tv link - Sir TomJones 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr449 

Mayweather does it more for conditioning and warm up. Just like Calzaghe used to slap the heavy bag with 1000+ slaps. Pedro Diaz does a good mittwork
Old 12-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 122 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,898,154,275,138.13
Total Points: 14,898,154,470,173.35
Good tutorial - MANIAC310 Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes 
please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis 
One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 
happy bday - -Mustang- Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc9979 View Post
Mayweather does it more for conditioning and warm up. Just like Calzaghe used to slap the heavy bag with 1000+ slaps. Pedro Diaz does a good mittwork
This is why I have nothing against it. What I do not like is trainers showing that as their PRIMARY mitt work and I can tell you I have seen that first hand in competitions and gyms around this country.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,345,989,990.41
Total Points: 19,396,072,368.37

A lot of the younger guys want to work the mitts like its going to get them laid. The flashy worthless stuff is good advertisement, but I see too many bad habits repeated over and over until they're muscle memory. I personally like using the mitts to check out a guys footwork, but most of the uber-fast flashy stuff is done while standing still.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 mconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,500,000,161,876.44

43-0

Hard to argue the means with ends like that. They're doing something right.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM
deejd
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 deejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 475,371,886.07
Total Points: 1,475,449,370.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
http://shootafairone.wordpress.com/2...work-all-show/

Great article and this basically reflects the way I feel about it. I highlighted a good part of it here:
It's a terrible article. That style of mitt work is specifically for counter-punching. It's not the only style they use either, I've seen them teach the basic punches and have the fighters use leverage by planting their feet, turning their hips, and turning their hands over on the punches.

The problem is that people only see the counter-punching mitt work and assume that's all that they do; that's wrong.

Along with that, I can't help but be a bit perturbed by trainers who observe that style of mitt work and bite off of it by selling dvds breaking down how to do it. If anyone should be getting paid and making dvds off of that style, it should be the Mayweather's.

Coach Rick posts a gagillion videos a day doing the Mayweather style mitt work, yet hasn't produced a single champion biting off of it... a fighter he trained got stopped on ESPN by Karim Mayfield; it's just bothersome that he's promoting somebody else's mitt work to get paid.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 PM
deejd
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 deejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc9979 View Post
Mayweather does it more for conditioning and warm up. Just like Calzaghe used to slap the heavy bag with 1000+ slaps.
No, he doesn't. Terrible comparison as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 PM
deejd
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconstantine View Post
43-0

Hard to argue the means with ends like that. They're doing something right.
Exactly. People who don't box or that aren't well-schooled wouldn't understand that style of mitt work.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 PM
deejd
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
This is why I have nothing against it. What I do not like is trainers showing that as their PRIMARY mitt work and I can tell you I have seen that first hand in competitions and gyms around this country.
Fair post, I can understand your viewpoint here, but to praise the article isn't a good look. The tone that writer takes is against that style of mitt work for the wrong reasons. They don't understand it and assume it's for flash.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 PM
ShoulderRoll
Ph.D in the Sweet Science

Rep Power: 42 ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 845,520,889,368,393.12
Total Points: 845,520,889,376,040.12
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 

The Mayweathers know what they are doing but there are copy cats all over YouTube who obviously don't.